Next year i'm majoring English Literature in uni, what are some basic literate publications I should start with

Next year i'm majoring English Literature in uni, what are some basic literate publications I should start with
Ignore Shakespeare because i won't read that

Nice post, friend

how can a publication be illiterate?

also, since when did Shakespeare write papers on literary criticism

memes for instance are an example of illiterate publications

>majoring english literature
>won't read shakespeare
good luck lmao

:(
idk man he just bores me somehow and i can't seem to get through the first 5 mins read, do i really have to read his stuff ?

idk, do you really have to study literature?

Nah just read Allen Ginsberg and you'll be set forever

Why on earth are you studying English lit if you can't get through 5 minutes of Shakespeare?

Shakespeare is positively gripping compared to many of the other great writers you will likely be forced to read.

this If you can't appreciate shakespeare--and i don't mean to sound condescending--then you're honestly probably not cut out to study literature. Just get a version with ample footnotes to help explain the Victorian English in the plays. You're going to have to read shakespeare in university, it's unavoidable as any English major

>Shakespeare
>Victorian English

I have to, 3rd world country, can speak proper English(sort of) have to go for English lit
idk if u're sarcastic or not, anyhow, where should I start ?
Perhaps there's a different approach to Shakespeare ? idk

>"Muh hip English teacher told me romeo and Juliet is boring. And now I've rationalized never reading Shakespeare"

is this real

Elizabethan, fuck me.

God, kids are fucking stupid.

nah I got no presumption over Shakespeare's stuff
that would help, maybe

Many people are turned off by the older dialect used in Shakespeare's plays, but if you can get past that then Shakespeare is actually quite good.

Just get this XDDDD

>can speak proper English(sort of)
No, you can't, and apparently you can't read it either

Shit forgot image.

It's an EFL degree? What country? What are you planning to do with it afterwards?

read Shakey you mong

Not reading shakespeare is retarded. Try and understand why he's seen as the literary GOAT by many. Also read Borges, the man will change your life.

you're going to have to take at least one entire class on Shakespeare. Probably more and other classes that will involve at least one of his works. No way to avoid him because he's so important. Probably not the major for you, sorry man. Maybe World lit or American lit would be better? You'll still have to read Shakespeare anyway though