So why does Veeky Forums shit on e-readers yet approve of Audio books. This makes no sense to me

So why does Veeky Forums shit on e-readers yet approve of Audio books. This makes no sense to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobileread.mobi/forums/showthread.php?t=188439
eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012
youtube.com/watch?v=PBBzYG8szmc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I shit on audio books, and approve of e-readers. You are wrong on your consensus of Veeky Forums.

Are you Veeky Forums?

Veeky Forums approves of some e-readers such as kobo and kindle

I'm with this guy

e-readers are for contrarian faggots who think they're being cool and against the system for having been conned into buying a gameboy to read from

Audiobooks are for long car rides.

I was anti e-book until I had to move twice in the same year and the only thing I really own is a metric ton of books. That shit was a hassle, now I'm looking at Kobos

I cant stand readers. Something about print is easier on my eyes. I dont even say that as a dirty hipster like most of lit. I wish I liked readers because I travel a ton and books are heavy. That said, I used to hate audio books but love them now seeing as I can listen to a book and appear to be working which really makes the day go by faster.

The only use for e-readers is when you can't bring tons of physical books with you. I own a kindle but I still bring physical books with me if I can.

>on the road
>e reader runs out of juice
>can no longer read

kys

e-readers are people user, and like you they are a faggot.
Audio books are a tool, they help deconstruct the fuselage of life, inanimate, they cannot be faggot.

just a crude understanding of general hatred of humanity and it's questions. Do you critically think with your rectum? No sir! We have rectums for pooping, not shitting up boards.

Everyone would prefer you ingest knowledge in all forms, minus dicks. No no, stop theorizing about opinions of reading, just read something.
>mfw into History of Phallic art

Buy a paperwhite, your vocabulary will increase quickly.

This.

You are an idiot. People buy them because they are practical, not to be fucking contrarian. You can find pretty much any moderately well known book online for free. After a couple of months the e-reader pays for itself. I can get the book I want to read without leaving my apartment. It also has a backlight and I can instantly tap any word to get a definition. Footnotes are hyperlinked, so no more flipping to the back of the book.

I use a kindle and buy paperbacks as well. You don't have to "pick a side" but I can tell you from experience that reading from a kindle is more enjoyable for anything 300+ pages because it is far less cumbersome.

Battery lasts like 1-2 weeks on a full charge...

This, the vocabulary builder is great too. (For those who don't know, it saves every word you ask to define and you can browse them as flashcards.)

I bought a Paperwhite last year, it's great

Why the fuck would you buy a Kindle over a nook? The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files, besides it's Amazon botnet.

>The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files

huh? no it isn't. you just connect it to your computer and drag the files over. you can browse all the directories by default. if you can't find mobi, you can convert with calibre. you have no idea what you're talking about.

I was right about the botnet part though

You can't pirate physical books.

>implying i ever turn my kindle's wifi on

the only audiobook I really enjoyed was Dune, and that's because they include ominous music and have multiple voice actors.

I bought this reader at a thrift store recently for $5. It was in perfect condition but the old owner though it was broken.Turns out all it needed was to have the bevels cleaned. Since the touchscreen is infrared it won't work when dirty.

I do wish it had some of the other features available on the Kindle e-ink readers. Also would like the basic web browser to be accesible. I would use it for wikis, blogs, and the occasional shitpost.

>botnet

Please elaborate:

1. What you think "botnet" means
2. How a kindle is "amazon botnet"
3. What incentive amazon has to establish a botnet of e-readers
4. What malicious purpose this would be mobilized for

I've had mine on airplane mode since day one

It's all just memes
Welcome

hacking the mainframe

>was buying 2-3 books a month
>bookshelves in small apartment were being replaced by stacks of books
>wife bought me e-reader to beg me to stop

Basically doubled my reading. Sounds to me like you are one of them "materialists"

>The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files
wut. You can literally browse it on any PC. And calibre works even better

>besides it's Amazon botnet
Yeah, you turn off the wireless.

I only approve of recitation 2bh

e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy and can anywhere with them.

I still like physical books better, but the pricing and weight of carrying them around is overall bad for me.

Its the exact opposite.

Audiobooks are only acceptable for non-fiction while working out or driving.

Ebooks are for people who read

E-books are so stupid much better feel a real book

Nothing will match the pleasure of holding an old second hand book that smells like dust and old paper, hard cover and an exquisite gold printed pattern of art nouveau leaves or victorian forms with book and author's name on the spine.

Preferably a 1980 or older edition.

>Nothing will match the pleasure of holding an old second hand book that smells like dust and old paper, hard cover and an exquisite gold printed pattern of art nouveau leaves or victorian forms with book and author's name on the spine.
>
>Preferably a 1980 or older edition.

That doesnt sound like reading to me. It sounds like fetishistic materialism.

>e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy
Yeah, I hate going into a bookstore and having to buy books against my will.

While it is true that an actual reader wouldn't mind any of th presentations of the text focusing only on the reading task, i find such kind of actual books to complete the whole experience of a reader

The whole cover part is just my preference but i despise kindles and e readers, i think it's just po-mo shit that devoids us from the real spirit of literature that has developed through ages.

A book is a marvel of mankind, while kindles are just trying to be better taking any kind of aesthetic out of the experience.

Just like a graphic designer back when they actually needed handcrafting experience, as opposed to nowadays de

designers who only learn how to use photoshop and drawing tablets*

i wonder, do you have to use licensed products (buy the books) for e-readers, or can I just download books online and transfer them to the thing?

You can just transfer the files.
Why would anyone use it if you had to buy the books regardless?

Of course. This is the way it has always been. Op is just an idiot

>smells like dust and old paper

makes me sneeze just thinking about it.

Audiobooks are acceptable for educational materiial, long trips and for blind people.

Ereaders can be damn finicky. I had to steal my mom's ecig usb cable once and the cord fitted better than the original kindle cable.

I use a samsung tablet to read all my books lel.
I probably already saved up the price for the tablet because I just download most books I want for free.

Proprietary closed source software which probably sends data without your knowing to Amazon so they can profit off it. Are you dense?

Stories were originally intended to be transmitted orally. Listening to an audiobook is the first step to memorizing a story for later oral transmission to others.

you can, it just takes physical effort

And then a more efficient method of transfer came about, written language.

people who care about efficiency can hoard all the books they like on e-readers

People that aren't retards read books with their eyes and actually stimulate their brain.

ereaders are awseome, OP
Last I checked not many people in Veeky Forums care about audiobooks.

ereaders are efficient and if you don't mind reading from a screen then they're even superior.

audiobooks are a cancer though.

This. The smell of new paper, on other hand, makes me full homo erectus

Maybe because you still actually read on an e-reader. You don't read audiobooks.

>shit on e-readers
>approve of Audio books.

You got it the other way around.

The screen might as well be paper though lad. It's e-ink so your eyes aren't going to hurt anymore than as if you were looking at a book.

That old smell is terrible

Oh, whoops. I guess this thread was even dumber than I thought.

>He doesn't pirate e-books

I get all of my e-books from what.cd

Fuck off back to /g/ you autist

Fuck off back to >>>/facebook/ you tech illiterate.

>claiming kindles are locked down and an inescapable botnet
>calling others tech illiterate

Not an argument.

It's an Amazon device sooo it's kinda implied, lol

It has been shown that the Kindle phones home exactly once to check your connection: mobileread.mobi/forums/showthread.php?t=188439

That's about it. Using airplane mode stops this of course.

Sure it does :)

>NEETs criticising the knowledge of others

kek

Still not an argument.

You stated a false claim. The kindle is accessible, has no DRM, and is not a botnet. hence your calling someone tech illiterate shows your ignorance

except you can openly browse the files on a regular PC, or organize and convert them with calibre, so that is horseshit, and wifi can be turned off. So no, neither is implied.

It's Amazon, the OS is closed source. It's implied.

Do you have a smartphone?

Are you using Mozilla or Chrome?

Are you using Windows or IOS?

Then congrats, you're already part of the botnet

hurr durr i cant write down words i dont know on the inside cover

No.
No.
No.
No.

>probably
See, right there's your problem. You make claims whilst lacking evidence.

>>>/tin/foil
Not everything that has internet capability is a botnet. Mozilla browsers have highly scrutinized code, and it's open source, so if you have a problem, you can check it yourself. Oh wait, you can't because you're probably just a tech-illiterate 14 year old who regurgitates the buzzwords he hears on /g/ while you're lurking in an attempt to to learn 'teh 1337 anonymoose h4x'.

eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

Every single ereader sends user info back to the maker, idiot

it's the /pol/ gubment paranoia.

>Barnes & Noble tracks purchases made from a logged-in Barnes & Noble account, including through the Nook store. It also collects information, including “sideloaded content,” through the device’s interaction with the Internet.
>It is not clear whether Amazon tracks purchases loaded on to the Kindle from other sources.

Who can they share your data with?
Amazon:
>Law enforcement, civil litigants, and within Amazon’s own services.
Kobo
>“Trusted third parties,” including, but not limited to, Indigo Books & Music, Inc, and publishers of newspapers or magazines that the user subscribes to.
Nook
>Law enforcement, civil litigants, and within Barnes & Noble’s own services, as well as with service providers, third party providers and membership programs, and publishers of newspapers or magazines that the user subscribes to.

Amazon is literally the safest device

Top kek. If you really avoid using a kindle because you paranoid about "botnet" that's fucking embarassing. Enjoy your "free software", retard(s).

youtube.com/watch?v=PBBzYG8szmc

I would never audio a new book but it's a great way to revisit a favorite.
I'm a big fan of the Kindle but I find i dont retain as much without the physical object to tie those memories to, plus the lack of asthetjc.
Highlighting is great though. Pros and cons.

anyone know any good e-readers?

Amazon Paperwhite
Used Kindle Touch or Second Generation Kindle with no keyboard.
Kobo Glo HD

Why the hell would law enforcement care about what books you read?

What's going on in that picture

Building a case against you for a crime that requires planning and foresight

>mfw I just use my S6 and Tablet to read books

How pleb am I?

On-the-road-battery-dies guy is right. Not JUST because of the duration of the battery charge but because it means another electronic device I gotta worry about getting sat on or dropped in the toilet AND I got fumble around with yet another fucking charger AND I gotta worry about thieving cunts that don't know what it is but could probably hawk for drug money. With a paperback none of this is a problem whatsoever.

To each his own.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. The biggest reason for me getting an e-reader was the fact that I can translate foreign words into English on the fly. Excellent for reading French literature etc as a non-native speaker. Literally just click on the word and get a translation.

That alone sold it for me.

Yeah, that was the reason for me to buy a kindle. My english has improved massively.

What is the best e-reader, cost/benefit-wise?

Same here, read 120+ books in English in the last two years and a half.

Either Paperwhite or Glo HD, theyre both good.

Can anyone with a paperwhite help? Mine started fucking up, lagging with turning pages or showing word definitions, and last night just went completely bonkers on a book. Pressed to go backwards, it went forwards, pressed to go forwards and it went backwards, completely fucked the pages out of order too.

Didn't get any damage I can think of, and it starting to lag was gradual. It was also after a good charge so I have no idea what the fuck. And it was only purchased a few months ago and not used heavy-duty so it has no right to be crapping out so soon. I'm gonna try to remove the book that happened with and load it again but...idk, anyone had something similar?

just reboot it

Tried it but it's still moving forwards when pressing to go back a page, there's something wrong with it

but at least the lagginess stopped, right? for the other issue maybe try checking the settings

>e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy and can anywhere with them.
I bought an e-reader to read books that I can download.

Factory reset, hold the button for like 30+ seconds

You can do that with any android tablet and the kindle app.

This, fuck you OP

what are some good e-ink readers I can buy by 65USD on aliexpress?