Not trying to be edgy here but do you ever think about how dumb the average person is?

not trying to be edgy here but do you ever think about how dumb the average person is?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memory_biases
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychological_effects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic#Theorized_psychological_heuristics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquiescence_bias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-serving_bias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_justification
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindguard
xkcd.com/1386/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mnemonics
mathsisfun.com/fractions_division.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Intelligence =/= knowledge

>/thread

The average person will surprise you when they momentarily overcome their apathy.

Yes.

Of course, most people don't even know what praxeologist do, :D!

I am fairly certain that you are not quite clear on definitions of the words intelligence,knowledge,naive and dumb.

Except everyone has an encyclopedia in their pockets now. Any time someone doesn't know something they just google it. I can't wait for the day when we have smartphones implanted directly in our brain. Anytime you want to know something you think and instantly get the answer from your smart phone brain implant downloaded for wikipedia.

When the day comes, how will we measure intelligence?

1?

I fail to see whats the problem here.
Isn't it basic priority of operators (don't know how you call the on English)?

You are on a board where the main premise believed by its population is what you wrote.

The anal fire keep them off answering you.

It's called precedence, and yes, it's that simple.

Bait harder.

>took the bait.

You've got people voting based on fear-driven campaigns of complete misinformation, so we get brexit, this european mickey mouse fascism, and donald trump. There are two essential tasks in a democracy, namely getting informed, and voting. Neglecting the one makes it harmful at best to perform the other.

>bait

Those average people are so much dumber than us, right user?

GMO haters, anti-vaxxers, anti evolution, anti nucular, trump voters, non-trump voters, etc. Is it really so far fetched to start believing you're some kind of übermensch with stuff like that around?

If you were bombarded by all that shit they watch and read. You could start believing it.

Unless you are an expert on the matter.

What's intelligence for you?
IQ?

I would say those people are misinformed. Not necessarily stupid, depending on how you define stupid.

EVERYONE wants to learn and there's nothing wrong with that however unfortunately some people choose to learn from news or social media, or click bait internet news articles which have no accountability for telling the truth. You can't blame them for believing lies if lies is the only thing they ever hear.

I would say what this world needs is some self regulated honesty. Maybe a prestigious group you can belong to if you never lie about shit in any way and you get kicked out for being dishonest. Simple to join, simple to stay in, and instant honor attributed to your name for doing so. We get a few people like that and we'll sort out who's lying and who's being honest real fast.

>honesty
KEK
Impossible.
>Maybe a prestigious group you can belong to if you never lie about shit in any way and you get kicked out for being dishonest
"If there is no money on there. I'll pass"

More ideas?

do people who join Mensa get money?

seriously tho, if the groups name became well known enough it'd be extremely powerful. Think of it this way, you're applying for a scholorship or for a job and it's been narrowed down to 2 people. One who's in the prestigious group who can never be dishonest, or the other guy? I guess if it's job as car salesman then it wouldn't be very useful but you see what I'm getting at. It's a feather in your cap to say "I'm better than the next guy."

A democracy needs to be sufficiently transparent, which the EU is not, so that people can make informed decisions.

>Mensa
So?
It's correlated with job employment quality. In other words, companies.

What's the profit for companies if this "Honesty" Organization is created?

Also, do you actually know if this "honesty" is actually useful enough to create an organization?

tfw doesn't even require algebra.

>It's correlated with job employment quality.

No, it's about trust. Maybe give out little dorky badges with an ID number on it. So long as a person wears that badge they can be trusted. They're honest and have integrity and they got your back. Get enough of them in a localized area and anyone who isn't a part of that group will be held with extreme distrust and suspicion which will only pressure more people to join. The more people that join the greater pressure there will be to be a part of that group. Eventually you'll get celebrities, and news reporters. Hell if enough people join even politicians might be pressured to join. It could change the entire social dynamic of our society, not that this could ever happen. Would make a fascinating short story though.

Good consequence sight, but HOW?

You didn't answered 2 questions.

>Algebra

honestly I tend to look for people who are smart (or appear to be). They tend to surprise me. most of the people I've known (very little) have shocked me. Though the conversations I tend to have with them aren't actually about science but more about philosophy.

However, i must admit that I'm a slow learner so even in my classes when we would do labs they would teach me the that i might have not caught when the professor explained.

Nevertheless, I was the type you could rely on later because i used to go home and literally swallow the book, and learn everything even a bit extra and do lots and lots of practice.

But honestly OP i think the people you are staying with are stupid... as in the average people you are meeting...

Do hang out in the social science area of your university ?

or

Are you that high school kid who just finished watching the Vsauce video list, and now you frown upon anybody who hasn't heard of words like placebo and Fermi Paradox... ?

Well, 50% of the population is female.

the general population has always been relatively ignorant. This is why the masses are so easily controlled because everyone is too busy worrying about short term pleasure rather than self fulfillment and knowledge. You can't blame them because it's an inherent human characteristic. Why read books when I can watch a movie, why go to a lecture at my uni when I can go to a party down the street, this is how the average person thinks because modern day education has dulled any and all learning experiences for children from the beginning

>politicians
You know lobbyists pay them their campaign funds to lie, right? Honest politicians don't exist

Who was Cain?

>what is pemdas

You are the average person, the masses are the reflection of ourselves.

This. Even the good people who are politicians will swallow it up and tell themselves "the other guy would sell out even more than I do," and the sad part is some of them are right. Some of them are actually good people doing (in a vacuum) not so good stuff because they know most others would be even worse.

I think about it, but I think about it around 1/1000000th of how much I think about how much of an asshole the average person is.

People of average intelligence can be really nice. They can be creative. So I wouldn't want one to be my partner in a startup company; fine. There's much more to life, though. Assholes are a much bigger concern of mine.

This. "Wow, people are shit" is a much more common thought than "wow, people are stupid" for me.

Was Carlin an asshole then?

First, I never said you're an asshole if you think otherwise. Second, isn't asshole comedian an accurate description no matter what you think of him?

Yes you're fucking retarded because I fucked your mom while she was pregnant with you and my massive cock damaged your brain

Herd mentality.
Kinda sad that the people who are suppose to be "leaders" are really just part of the herd. I guess that's human nature. To be fair it's not entirely herd mentality alone. They also do it because there's no punishment for doing so, kinda like how road rage works. The freeway is the one place you can be a total dick to strangers and totally get away with it with no repercussions. You literally have no reason not to be a dick to other drivers. Same with being an asshole of a politician.
But a group for honest people would spread in popularity using mechanism as herd mentality while simultaneously creating a punishment for those who are dishonest. Even if that punishment is not a punishment in the technical sense of the word but lack of a reward. This would be negative reinforcement, which is proven to work better than any punishment system ever could. It might actually work if enough people adopted it and there wasn't too much opposition.

only if you take the median, not the average

>Was Carlin an asshole

Of course he was an asshole, that was his entire shtick.

I'm convinced that people are smarter than what they give themselves credit for. I'm not saying that everyone's secretly an Einstein or something. But I do think that most people are capable of scientific and mathematical literacy at the very least. The only problem, I think, is education.

I'm convinced that animals are smarter than what they give themselves credit for. I'm not saying that every animal is secretly an Einstein or something. But I do think that most animals are capable of scientific and mathematical literacy at the very least. The only problem, I think, is education.

Please stop with this Marxist crap, clearly there are small percentages of people born with atypical neurology and are innately more intelligent than their peers.

Yes, but do they care enough? If I found it sufficiently motivating, I'd pick up social engineering and apply it to get what I want, but I'm content to operate honestly within the system or reject it. I don't care enough to learn manipulation tactics, but I'm very much aware of them.

rekt

Reading comprehension. He didn't say there's no such thing as more intelligent people. He just said that most people aren't reaching their potential.

That doesn't matter. IQ forms a normal distribution, so the mean and median are pretty much equal.

You miss the point of what it means to be "stupid", while yes these "stupid" people can be misinformed by some source , whatever it may be is besides the point because these people refuse to change their mind when present with logic or contradicting facts. Whereas an ubermensch would adapt to new information , as it would only serve to better him, and bring him closer to perfection .

mein god you are the most dull people in the world

the question of the intelligence of the masses is so fucking trite. it doesn't matter how smart you are in relation to everyone else, you're the same eating, shitting human being destined to die and be forgotten. think of some more interesting things, FUCK.

like, think about the fact that the fetus forms the mouth, anus, and digestive tract before all other features. man evolution is some crazy shit, isn't it? you gotta have a working asshole to survive before everything else. think of all the proto organisms that suffered because they couldn't take their mini dumps properly. maybe if you were born without a working asshole it'd make you more interesting and i wouldn't be replying to this cancerous thread on a vietnamese taxidermy board

I have had the bad fortune of living with some incredibly dumb people. These are people in university, so I know they're probably average or above average intelligence; at least educated, if nothing else.
And I have seen these people fail to understand a bar graph.
So yes, I'm terrified of getting out into the "real world" and being surrounded by people dumber than this.

People are dumb because they use "reliabilism" instead of "empiricism" and "epistemology".
In the past, this was called "doxa"; now we call it "common flawed reasoning" or logical fallacies.

If people just too the time to just glance at some lists, they probably wouldn't be so stupid.
TERM; EXPLANATION; EXAMPLE

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memory_biases
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychological_effects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic#Theorized_psychological_heuristics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquiescence_bias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-serving_bias
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_justification
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindguard

It's that simple.

dumb... or inconsistent?

there must be an error

I cant accept that only 67% of people know eggs come from hens

less than 10% of the world population scores more than 120IQ.

I'm 129 but I barelly consider myself smart, and yet 95% of humans are dumber than me.

So yes, the average human is dumb as fuck.

120 is the bare minimum to be smart.

wait 1. isn't it 1?

"Fear-driven campaigns"... But that's excatly what Hillary's and the Remain campaign are If you've been paying attention. Hillary's entire campaign has been about making Trump out to be racist, sexist, homophobic, Islamaphobic etc and has almost every major media outlet behind her spreading this to the masses and trying to convince everyone he is literally Hitler. Meanwhile the remain camp were making claims about World War 3 breaking out if we left the EU so I don't think I need to go much further on that.

Apparently it's not and everybody here thinks it's b8.

9?

punkt vor strich

I'd agree user.
Brackets
Indices
Divide
Multiply
Add
Subtract

This. I work with Kids and negative reinforcement works well, especially when the perpetrating child notices the others getting snacks and shit.

Isnt the probability just 50% yes or no?

Answer really depends on how you write the problem out.

The answer to the way that one is written is "2", but written with brackets it will be "9".

>Answer really depends on how you write the problem out.
what is operator precedence

>oilseed rape

People like you are why I remember to never take this board too seriously.

I assume since no one else is getting 8 and 8/9ths, that the responses are full of trolls.

xkcd.com/1386/

>nucular

[math] \displaystyle
9- \frac{3/1}{3} +1 = 9
[/math]

[math] \displaystyle
9- \frac{3}{1/3} +1 = 1
[/math]

>literally swallow the book
I can tell you're a moron

You failed horribly.

Kys.

Reading comprehension.

He was trying to say the people have more potential than they think they have.

No, I got over that stage when I was 17 years old OP.

Your post intimates that people who vote for far-right european parties, brexit or Trump are wrong for doing so, because they are stupid. This intimation is incorrect.

>someone came to a conclusion I disagreed with
>ergo they are stupid and racist

PEMDAS

no parenthesis, exponents or multiplication so you skip to division.

9-3÷1/3-1=?

A number divided by a fraction is the same as multiplying it by the bottom of the fraction > 3÷1/3=3×3=9

Addition before subtraction therefore :
9-9+1=9-10=?

Finish with Subtraction > 9-10= -1

9-3÷1/3+1= -1

>addition before subtraction
uh? they have the same priority, you go from left to right after solving the fraction

Damnit this man has dubs of course he's right the correct answer is 9-9+1=1

The average person is stupid but dubs never lie

All the time.

I can't tell if you're ironic about me being wrong, but since following pemdas blindly is a sign of bad/american education I suggest you look up who's right on a book or on wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mnemonics
pay special attention to the penultimate sentence and have a good day

definitely not true. If this was the case, then you would not have people coming on /sci asking weird questions. There was a guy recently who thought our brain could be controlled by 'radio', and i had to explain to him that our neurons communicate through action potentials. The point is that as someone who is educated in the biology area of science, I know what information to look for when it comes to many things in biology. This guy did not.

Basically if what you say was true, then the scenario that i just presented to you would have never happened. You would not automatically say a person living with a lot of books is smart. You would only call them smart if they actually read the book. Having an implant that allows you to browse the many information is essentially like books, but without the nuisance of pulling them out the shelves and flipping through pages.

Back to highschool, all of you. mathsisfun.com/fractions_division.html

Had a laugh with the replies
The answer is 1 by the way.

Apparently it's not just everywhere outside, it's also Veeky Forums that is riddled with brainlets. Your list goes for equations. This is a term. Other way round. I'm so fucking tired to read this shit.

I'm none of those you listed, but may I ask what your highest degree may be? The answer for the term is 1, punkt vor strich as a bruder above mentioned.

3÷1/3 = 3/1/3 = 3/1/3/1 = 3/1 * 1/3 = 3/3 = 1

9 - 1 + 1 = 9

what is hard about this?

10?

Who honestly uses ÷ anymore anyway? I don't know of any serious text that uses it in lieu of fractions.

But this is ultimately a matter of the arbitrary conventions of the order of operations. The fact that people actually argue about this as though it were a science still amazes me to this day. Yes, this thread is all bait but it's common to see elsewhere.

What is the difference between ÷ and /? Serious question.