What is a good way of practicing math? I just got into CS...

What is a good way of practicing math? I just got into CS, I was never good at math until I picked up Lang's Basic Mathematics book. I learned all that I did not learn all these years in high school, GREAT BOOK!

However, that was all in my spare time. Managed to survive PreCalculus and Calculus, off to Calc II, III then Physics. Any tips, suggested readings and routines for when you have a lot of workload and you need to understand subjects?

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/I-am-an-engineer-Hence-my-knowledge-of-math-is-limited-to-applied-math-and-primarily-calculus-I-want-to-study-math-on-my-own-and-get-a-good-understanding-of-various-concepts-How-should-I-go-about-it
math-blog.com/mathematics-books/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Lang's Basic Mathematics
Isn't this book pretty self-contained? I had the impression that if you master it you shouldn't have any problems nailing precalc or calculus.

Yeah, it is a great book and I enjoyed it! What I was asking is, what are some techniques to practice, and when college throws subjects around at high speed to cover a ton of shit in a short amount of time, how do you guys work with that?

Also, if there are more books like Lang's, I would surely appreciate it!

>What I was asking is, what are some techniques to practice,

1. Find an area of mathematics you would like to learn more about.

2. Solve problems or prove theorems.

3. Repeat.

1. Don't drink coffee or anything, the number 1 problem of students is that they abuse coffee by taking it daily, you want to drink it during hard tests. The tolerance you develop is the opposite of the effect, more adenosine receptors. Caffeine half life is 6 hours, and so is its metabolite, so you will have xanthines in your system for at least 36 hours.

2. Increase your motivation with constant self-criticism. If you are motivated, you are naturally picking up books and pushing it to the limit all day, but if you are "alright" and comfortable, then every effort sucks, you are a casual doing some bullshit

3. The human brain is made for Problem-Solving. So what me and the good students that I know do is we go trough the exercises/problems first, we go for the tests, and then you dig the proper chapters. Otherwise, you are not only cramming random information, you are getting used to cramming random information. This means that you used to open a math book, then to watch a youtube video about cats, then to lurk Veeky Forums, then playing tetris... because it seems the same as reading math chapters without the exercises/problems in mind. Your whole mindset needs to change towards problem-solving

4. Get as much depth as soon as possible, instead of going for a superficial variety within a subject. Once you get the depth, you will be able do judge yourself at future topics. Specialization is good. This is hard to explain, but basically this will build consistency, it is the kind of stuff that gives you a job at the same time that it makes you skeptical and humble. With math, this means you have to go for proofs, axioms, history of math for every part of math. An allegory for this is: many shallow holes are worthless compared to one deep hole that gives you water.

I'm not saying yours is bad advice but every teacher I've ever had let us drink coffee during tests, and as an adjunct I let my students do it. To not allow them would, IMO, be unthinkable in a free society.

What?

>1. Don't drink coffee or anything, the number 1 problem of students is that they abuse coffee by taking it daily, you want to drink it during hard tests.

What's the matter if you can just drink it during tests?

Thank you for the wonderful advice user.

>The human brain is made for Problem-Solving. So what me and the good students that I know do is we go trough the exercises/problems first, we go for the tests, and then you dig the proper chapters

This needs to be said more. I think too many rote-learners think math is like a spelling bee where you can just memorize the definitions and suddenly arrive at the conclusions and solve all your problems. Problem-solving is must less predictable than that, much more creative than that.

Good post.

Not Op here, what about yerba mate? I was thinking about switching from coffee to yerba mate, after coffee I think I have problems with stomach, and also, because I am drinking a lot of coffee, it isn't working anymore. Do you know how yerba mate will affect one's brain, if it have flaws of coffee?

Not that other guy but the post was pretty critical of caffeine and not the method of ingestion. It's just that coffee is the most common.

Mate's fucking tasty though, you should at least try it. Nice to pass around a gourd when you're gettin stoned with your homies too :^)

Wish I had a mentor like you

>Enochian
>Not goetia

Enjoy your pleb tier system, real mathemagicians use demons

quora.com/I-am-an-engineer-Hence-my-knowledge-of-math-is-limited-to-applied-math-and-primarily-calculus-I-want-to-study-math-on-my-own-and-get-a-good-understanding-of-various-concepts-How-should-I-go-about-it

math-blog.com/mathematics-books/

Sorry OP for long link, but i am too lazy to use some url shortener. And it is late time in my country

Thank you so much for the links

>not realizing that fallen angels are demons
gj pleb

are there any books on mathemagics? I know it is not real, I just want to feel like a wizard.

go find the megaupload link in /omg/ - occult & magick general on either Veeky Forums or /x/

I would not recommend dwelling in that area. Magick and the occult are a great deception in part by the fallen angels and demons.

Going down that road will cost your soul.

Souls aren't real, so I guess you're saying it's free?

>souls aren't real
>curious about enochian and other types of occult arts

You must be new

>everyone on Veeky Forums is the same person
That was my first post in the thread, but said "I know it is not real" and was interested.

Further, wouldn't someone who believed in a soul be more likely too afraid of hypothetical consequences to be interested?

Depends, occultists believe that the fallen angels are here to provide knowledge in order for us to transcend and become Gods ourselves. This lie goes back all the way to Genesis when the serpent deceived Adam and Eve.

Since these fallen ones deceive occult practitioners, their fear goes away.

Much of our history has been taken away by the Catholic Church, thus why many are atheists. Truth is there is a God, but many things happened that the Catholic church took away from the Bible. For example, the origin of the watchers, occultism, the great flood, dinosaurs, nephilim (giants) are all in the book of Enoch.

These fallen ones gave us knowledge of many things, hence why many believe these are aliens from another planet. Make no mistakes, these beings are from another dimension (hence they are spiritual), Einstein proved another dimension exists. Thus, God exists. Secret societies, and many of the occult know this, the vatican knows this but all through history they tampered the Bible and hid key pieces of it.

There are many mysteries, correlating what the Bible scriptures say, Sumerian scriptures, Greek mythology, Atlantis, and what secret societies have in their books, all point to the existence of God. The Book of Enoch is a good place to start reading the Bible along with the book of Genesis. Next, I would look through history of Sumerians and other civilizations which were ahead of their time.

You seem incapable of understanding simultaneous interest and disbelief. I know a vehement atheist with a degree in religious studies, if that helps any.

>Truth is
Though maybe it wont, considering you seem to believe you can know objective truth.

>I'm 15 and haven't taken a physics class yet

Are there good books with computational exercises from different fields of math? Like Riley's "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering", but without theory (or with its minimum) and with full solutions. Pic related is even better example.

This book any good?

i too am curious if this book is recommended

it's a problem book written by europeans

its probably good

it takes less time to open a pdf of it and try a question then wait for some kind of answer