Is this... overrated?

Is this... overrated?

>Is it funny?
Yes

>Does it contain incredible scientific/futuristc fantasy?
No more than any other sci-fi novel

>Does it have any value in terms of character or storyline development that makes literature great?
Absolutely not

I do not understand why it's considered a classic of sci-fi other than being memorable for it's humour. It feels like it is part of the try hard "geek" subculture for and by people trying to build themselves an image, similar to Star Wars.

You're just triggered by 'normies' (kill yourselves frog faggots) who like it.

I was more or less alluding to that word... I love Veeky Forums's sharp insight into everything

But look, it's true- star wars is a big sham and people only like it because they think everyone else does, or they want to look like nerds. At least some of the "diehard" fans are, the ones who claim to absolutely hate episodes 1-3.

But anyway, how are you meant to hate on anything that is overrated without being labelled as a frogposter?

Really loved Hitchhiker's, but the concept and Adams' style got bland by the second book. I agree with your closing statement, only real value is the humor.

I liked it for it's humor. This kind of book, SF novels at large and police novels give me a problem in that I can't bother to follow a story on an autistic level. I get confused between characters and lose interest (Tricia/Trixia? fuck that I want to read stuff I understand) I prefer books with little or no progression and much contemplation.
The radio series is good. In fact, it's better.

But you have to agree they do not fit the title of a classic

bump

Have you ever played Battlefront II or Jedi Academy?

>people only like it because they think everyone else does
This is false, at least for children.

>thinks adults are mature

Uh, no, why?

>value in terms of character or storyline development
reading for plot are we now

Lel

It is entertaining. That is all that needs to be said.

That's pretty much the definition of overrated.

To answer your question OP, yes, it is.

I feel this way towards Good Omens.

i genuinely dislike this book and its sense of humor, it's a farce with no bite and the majority of the humor is just defined by its randomness. i really dont understand how so many people especially on Veeky Forums think this book is legitimately funny.

same here
not even a snub, I just dont get how its so funny.
Does it get substantially funnier/better after like 10-15% ?

No.

I wish I was able to read for fun like I used to when I was younger.

What do you read for now?

>part of the try hard "geek" subculture for and by people trying to build themselves an image, similar to Star Wars
Basically.

It is indeed funny but there are dozens of sci-fi novels who deserve the fame it has. Even other Adams works, some things he wrote for DW have a better character development and funnier passages.

>DW
?

To impress people I don't like

Doctor Who, he was script supervisor for the series during Tom Baker's era.

I liked it. It got kind of bland around the third or so book but it picked up afterwards and I enjoyed it. Best sci-fi book around? Probably not. Funny as hell? To me yes that was really what I liked about it the comedy. And to fuck your Star Wars was great yeah the prequels were absolute cow shit compared to the originals but overall I love it and generally hate the people you describe (typically girls trying to be all cute and nerdy) who claim to enjoy it just because everyone else does.

Wh not just kill yourself?

is it weird that I ask questions only to answer them all myself?

yes. truly.

your whining about a popular book you didn't "get" is overrated desu