Really tired of some people writing 500 hundred pages where 350 more or less are a black boring void

really tired of some people writing 500 hundred pages where 350 more or less are a black boring void

Borges was the greatest and we know the length of his works...

Then my question is: Lit, show me really good and complex short-stories writers

Lydia Davis.
Almost No Memory is my favorite short story collection.

I consider each entry within my diary desu to be a short story desu.

I think Borges took it a bit far, you can count the number of pages in his stories in your fingers, but he's definitely the greatest short-story teller.

Try Flannery O'Connor, she's a southern Gothic short story author and easily one of my favorite authors period.

>I think Borges took it a bit far
took what a bit far?
how is it too far if he's the greatest short story teller as you claim?

Condensing his stories into stories about stories. He's still the best imo, but he condensed his work so much it became encyclopedic.

that's the greatest thing about him

he's just making a point by saying that even great novels end up being a thing that can be summarized in two-three lines

Hard to go wrong with Alice Munro. Also check out Barry Hannah, Padgett Powell, Amy Hempel, and Donald Barthelme.

Breece D'J Pancake. Interesting bio to boot.

I really don't think that is his project.

>misinterpreting borges this hard

lol

>Borges translates Ulysses into Spanish
>Admires Joyce immensely
>...even great novels end up being a thing that can be summarized in two-three lines

You done goofed.

Vonnegut's stories aren't 'complex' but they tend to be very comfy. His style lends itself a lot better to short stories than novels in my opinion. Many of them completely lack the soft sci-fi elements of his novels.

What Borges stories are the best ? I hate spanish with all my heart

Theologians.

I was reading some of Baudelaire's prose poems recently and could not get over the fact that if I wrote anything like them I'd be called either a tryhard or an idiot. How do I get over this?

The Circular Ruins
The Immortal
Garden of Forking Paths
Library of Babel
The Aleph
>hating Spanish
Why, it actually makes sense

Write them anyway

>complex short-stories
Gene Wolfe, Seven American Nights

>How do I get over this?
Just stop caring about Veeky Forums's opinion and do your own thing.

>/lits/ opinion

whoever said it was lits opinion he was talking about.

don't post anymore m8

>tfw Garden of Forking Paths is just a precursor to multiverse theory that I learned about at 15 but without the gravity of scientific plausibility

seconding this

Pushkin, saki, maupassant, Boccaccio

We're living in a different time. Baudelaire & peers would get almost isolated from civilized society because of their thoughts, which were in everyone's head at the time, but no one would make public because of the strict moral code everyone abided. Today, being 'decadent' is the norm of people in their teens and early twenties (although some people go way beyond that), thus writing on similar themes today, would make you seem like a teenager trying to be edgy (even more considering you are probably far less talented than Baudelaire).

This said, Veeky Forums opinion on literary matters sides with the public&common thought on highbrow-lit. LCT often show that most people here are unable to distinguish good writing from bad writing and viceversa.
Don't worry about it and do whatever you want.
We don't know shit anyway.

Hemingway
Carver
O'Connor
Joyce
Borges
Bellow
King

O'Connor
Shirley Jackson
Kafka
Cortazar