>State your career/major and explain why you went into it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

>math/phys
i think it's interesting, and it has been so far

i study lolis

Biochemistry and molecular biology/biotechnology.

I like drugs.

Electrical Engineering

Iam in for money

math
Was physics, but conceptually I just don't find modern stuff interesting. The math is beautiful, but I don't care about the physical meaning. And proving stuff just intrigues me so much more than most physics problems have.

>neurology
>human augmentation (someday)

What does the atypical neurology of an autistic person look like?

Biophysics
I like biophysics

Engineering physics/ nuclear engineering.

Quantum mechanics is cool and nuclear power is the future

Computer Engineering
I like Engineering with computers :^)

Virology
It's the coolest/most challenging area of biology imo

Computer Science
>All grads that want a job gets one within 6 months
>$72k starting in my country

Chemical engineering because I like Chemistry and math and it's more money.

If the meme about it being a "rigorous course in pipes" is true though I'm switching back to pure chem.

Dropout programmer making 6 figures, because I'm more competent than to fall for the scam these guys did:

Uni is *free* in my country :^)
Such a scam

Do you have to keep a minimum GPA or attempted/ passed credit hour ratio to go for free in countries like this? In the US if you fail or drop too many classes you lose your "privilege" of government loans.

>Uni is *free* in my country :^)
>in my country :^)
>my country
Who let you on the American internet?

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8

Not really, no. If I fail a class I have to retake the class and that is free as well. However, the government only pays me for X months, so if I don't finish it fast enough, they will stop paying me. I get like 900 USD every month for attending.

>implying America owns sections of the internet

>implying America owns sections of the internet
>America owns sections of the internet
>sections of the internet
>sections
We own the whole fucking thing by birthright, you fucking barbarian.

Keep telling yourself that :^)

Merican here, the less ownership we have the better, unless you like NSA surveillance. Make the whole goddamn thing distributed and encrypted.

>>implying America owns sections of the internet
>what is ICANN: the post

Commerce/Law combined (don't know if you Amerikeks have degrees like this
I enjoy the competitive attitude most of my peers have. Also lots of career opportunities if i decide I don't want to practice

woman's study
brainwashed by joos

I meant "we" as in Americans.

>CS community college dropout
>Thought it was easy and something I'm good at, realized over two years that's because they have almost nothing to teach me
>Either going to become a machinist and work my way up to starting a parts company, or sit on my ass making web apps with linear algebra and physics, not really sure yet

Yes, and I meant "we" as in Americans when I said the less ownership we have the better. Wasn't contradicting you, just suggesting it's not a good thing.

Chemistry bach currently. Hoping work in molecular gastronomy

Why don't you 'go deeper?

mathematics.

Sorry, it had to be done.

Computer Science.

Because I wanted to create video games.

CS

Seems cool. Its a bit daunting at first because there's so much different shit to learn and so many different avenues to go down.

I also was thinking of majoring in Social Work. I remember when I was a Freshman I was deathly afraid of Math because I was always shit in highschool.

I decided to try out social work since there was no math, and I figured I liked helping people.
First assignment was to write down when you helped someone go through a tough time in their life.

I realized I'd rather work hard and do something meaningful than deal with that horseshit.

So far so good. Got As in all my math course so far, and it only took up 23 of my 24 hours a day.

the internet was shit until a brit invented www and http, cuck

Linguistics

Yes, yes, I'm non-stem trash

Documentation of dying languages sounds cool, and historical reconstruction stuff. I considered architecture but I think I prefer theoretical stuff.

I'm trying desperately to kill some of the BS Chomsky dogma in Syntax though, fruitlessly.

I do some CS/SoftwareEng research on the side

>Actuary
Money

Physics.
I had questions about the fundamentals of nature and felt that studying physics was the only way I would get answers.
I am not disappointed. I still have questions, some of which I've learned are unanswered. So now I'm a (new) phd student.

Only true answers.

I'm actually working on getting back into uni to study the same shit but for reasons

Pair it with something else or hope you're lucky or you'll be one of those Dr. Janitor types.

Philosophy. I think the questions it asks are more interesting and more important.

St. John's College doesn't have a specific degree. The degree comes out as "Philosophy/History of Mathematics & Science double minor (Comparative Literature/Classical Studies)"

Wanting to go into Maths. Should I want to go into theoretical Physics in the far future, should my Masters actually be revolving that or will a further "pure" Mathematics Masters also do?

>graduated BSc biochem
>I didn't want to major in biology for premed
>I was watching breaking bad at the time and thought chem was cool
>turns out I actually like chemistry
>immediate family member passes away in hospital
>don't want to Doctor anymore
>keep doing chem
>find I actually hate learning biology and like pure chemistry
>apply to grad schools
>get accepted to a couple California schools
>leaving in 8 days to start inorganic/materials PhD

genuinely love chemistry research and can't imagine doing anything else. Now hate it when people ask me if I know how to make meth. Part of me is in this for the money, but it's probably just a phase. I'm honestly just hoping I can find a job when I graduate.

Don't you fucking dare switch to pure chem. The only reason I didn't switch to ChemE is because my uni didn't have an engineering program. Stick with your degree and you'll actually get a lucrative job. We're fucking full. No one wants to hire a chemist these days and if they do its a shit lab tech job. Seriously, every grad student I met said going into the industry as a bachelors chemist was hell. One guy told me he worked 3rd shift filling bottles of ethanol...everyday...8 hour shifts. That's literally all he did. I'm telling you this because it hurts me so much to even hear that you are thinking about making this decision. You can do chem on your own time if you love it so much. Major in chemE. This is not the field you want to get into. You shouldn't need to be worrying about whether or not there will be a job for you if you are getting a PhD, yet here I am.

Or
>Autism

Aerospace Engineering
>Autism. Seriously, I have been obsessed with planes in someway shape or form since I was 3. Dad took me to a local airport and ever since then my whole life has been planes, trains and automobiles. Also saw a Concorde taking off at JFK airport when I was 3.5. Yeah, that was fucking awesome.

Electrical Engineering
>Money, broader prospects and desire to know FUCKING MAGNETS MAN HOW DO THEY WORK?! Beyond a simplistic understanding.

I hope you like chemical reactors and pipes. Pic related is what you'll be making day in and day out if you're lucky and get a design job. If not, well then may god have mercy on your soul.

The chemistry is very, very limited. You're more of an applied physics major than a chem major.

Holy fuck are you me? That's almost exactly the route I took, except that I still think bio is okay, and I'm only doing a PSM in materials/nanotech.

>If not, well then may god have mercy on your soul.
I'm sure anyone who's getting paid by the railroad 200k per year as a Hazmat Tech to just pretend like they're working for 80% of their day really wants god to be pitying them and ensuring their safety.

Way to take extremes buddy, chances are if you only have a bachelors in ChemE you'll be making 100k tops to sit in a plastic factory control room all day in bumfuck nowhere.

mathematics

for money

I don't mind bio, I just hate learning it. All I got out of my bio and biochem lectures were memorization marathons. Biochem lab was pretty cool, but still not what I want to do.

This

I'm also thinking of double majoring and taking the chem courses over the summer.

Tactical Espionage Operations.
Its physically demanding because you stay up as in awake for long periods. Prison guards have more awake time then what my job requires. Im on the operation side, i wont go into detail because you arent asking me the detail.

International business and then International Law
I didn't do well in calc but I still like being autistic

Physiology major, i want to teach sex ed hopefully for a liberal as fuck county

Is that 'go 'za?

As long as you don't give up the engineering degree. This is pretty much your last chance to get in on a cash cow degree before it gets completely over saturated like the rest of science. It may already be getting late.

Unfortunately chemical engineering is already done for with the rise of liberal environmentalists and the destruction of so many oil pipelines.

Even here in Canada, because of Trudeau all the oil towns are suffering a decline and he's just importing oil from the Saudis.

I wouldn't recommend chemical engineering unless you plan on doing graduate work in something other than process engineering.

Source: Third year chemical engineering student, plenty of recent grads are unemployed and those that are live in

I'm studying "Applied science" at my college, which is essentially a mix of biology and chemistry, designed to prime you for a bachelor's degree in either subject. I'm totally at a loss though, I find both of the subjects really interesting, but pretty much all the more interesting parts for me is where Chemistry crosses over into Physics. I want to be a particle physicist desu, I want to change my major but I just turned 20 and don't want to waste anymore of my life. What do?

Also, what interesting advances are being made in Chemistry at the moment? I'd rather fucking neck myself than work in ChemE for the oil industry or whatever. All I'm interested in is research.

Pure math, because Veeky Forums told me to

-$1/12 starting

Ha! Nice to see some fellow undergraduates on Veeky Forums!

top kek

Anyone?

Bioinformatics. Because I'm a masochist

3rd year of my BSc zoology
hopefully starting postgraduate degree next year

Linguistics is awesome. One of the best math teachers at my school double majored in math and linguistics.

what's that

What kinds of questions do biophysicists answer?

Math because it was the only thing I found stimulating at the time and the people in my previous major were narcissistic tools

what was your previous major

was it medical school
I bet it was medical school

Nah, mech engineering.

>career

Software development. I was raised in front of a computer and it only makes sense that I'd make most of my income in front of one. Honestly if I could not browse Veeky Forums on the office I would have a mental fucking breakdown. I also learned the 'skill' pretty early on and have a talent for it.

>major
Mathematics. It really is the only serious thing I actually care about. Nowadays I even think of programming in terms of my mathematics knowledge, specially abstract algebra. Everything feels better that way.

Psychology.
Automotive Technician.

I fucked up real bad. Couldn't get a decent job or a job that was related to what I knew or wanted to work with, but I knew a trade beforehand, so I said fuck it and got ASE certified. I needed money to pay off that wasted tuition fee.

EE is declining by 5%.
With that being said, civil engineering because I'm in it for the money.

s

geology

too dumb 4 other science :)

I have a friend studying social science (psychology) atm at literally the worst Uni in the state. Entry requirements are basically passing high school
Can't convince him it's a bad idea for the life of me

computer engineering

wanted to do programming but compsci is a meme degree

I have a friend who is studying at a CC and wants to study international relations in order to become a fucking USA diplomat. He's lazy as fuck too. He's smart and all but he has no work ethic.

Would you rather waste 1 or 2 years swapping to something you like or waste your entire life in the workforce doing something you dont?

Energy engineering
>was an autistic shitter as a kid
>would always turn off everything
>saving muh energy and power bills
>talk with an education counselor after high school
>you can make that shit a career
Now I get to save energy and make money, very nice

medicine
money, ease of finding job
freedom from depending on anyone to buy myself toys

>would always turn off everything
>talk with an education counselor after high school
>you can make that shit a career
ok I laughed

Chemistry
It happened by chance

nobody owns internet

you do realize that one, smart enough person, could easily overtake everything on surface shithole like google or bing?

>This
Plus, more and more programmers are becoming hackers.
There has been more stolen and hacked shit in 2015, than there was in the entire time period from 2010 to 2015.

My major is Gender studies, because hard sciences are based on colonialism and oppression of minorities.

You know how many attacks google and bing get daily?
Insta-job if you can hack one of the top tech companies websites

Statistics.

Happened by chance.

p = 0.56

>Aerospace
I care intensely about space exploration and colonization. Aero is the best discipline to go into if you're trying to get into the astronaut corps.

WE WUZ ENGINEERS UND SHIET

you tell yourself that

didn't say I was getting into the corps, said that I'm pursuing the field most likely to get me there