Suppose you have $1bn and you *have* to invest it in one scientific effort; what would you choose?

Suppose you have $1bn and you *have* to invest it in one scientific effort; what would you choose?

no meme answers pls

Other urls found in this thread:

workaway.info/hostlist-JP.html
wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en
db.ecovillage.org/en/projects/504
permacultureglobal.org/projects
ic.org/directory/listings/?cmty-country=Japan
theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass
svanholm.dk/index.php?id=78
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>invest
Musk Enterprises

Not a fanboy but boy he'd make me rich.

Either fusion energy or using zero-point energy to create exotic matter to stabilise an Einstein–Rosen bridge.

What?

cure for cancer

Good way to throw away a billion for zero return.

Information storage using diamonds. Essentially, all human knowledge and history physically engraved on diamonds. With as many backups as possible spread around the world and deposited on the moon where all can see its location from Earth.

Why?

So after humanity is long dead, the next sentient race will have instructions on how not to destroy their own environment and show our history of us doing it as a warning.

Ensuring future generations live longer is the return. You get a genetic return for that.

>Essentially, all human knowledge and history physically engraved on diamonds.
This is the stupidest thing I've seen today. Congrats.

>So after humanity is long dead, the next sentient race will have instructions on how not to destroy their own environment and show our history of us doing it as a warning.
in·vest
verb
1. expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

Edgy, I like it.

How much of a difference do you think $1bn of funding would make for those endeavours?

Many billions go into cancer research every year; much less is spent on fusion energy research. The per-dollar impact would probably be a lot larger for something comparatively less-well funded, wouldn't it?

The investment is in sentient life. Give the next race the things they need early on to reach the stars, go beyond, colonize space, and prevent a cycle of extinction. That is the 2nd best return on an investment. The best return on investment is

No, no, I was suggesting that it's a useless endeavor. Curing cancer is decades off if not centuries because it's not too far off from the challenge of biological immortality in the first place. Lack of return is because you wont fucking find anything.

But, we've already been curing cancers, every day now.

You should consider investing in a method that is not idiotic then.

Isn't the 'Superman Memory Crystal' (what a shitty name desu) thing that was announced earlier this year essentially that?

I think it was meant to store data for something like 9 billion years.

Even though fusion is certainly needed, as we're reaching an energy crisis. As for wormhole travel, it might be impossible, that is true, but if possible it would be one of the ways to save humanity from certain and inexorable eventual extinction.

For clarity, by 'invest' I don't mean purely for economic return - although any scientific effort worth pursuing probably carries with it a significant economic benefit, it may be difficult to capture that benefit as profit.

C.R.I.S.P.R.

>/thread

Yes, we have had this technology for a long time now. Way less than 9 billion years though, as the storage length is limited to the physical degradation of the material.
Wouldn't we have to figure out how to [i]not[i] fuck up/unfuck up out own planet first?

This has both economic and scientific returns that both far outweigh any other option right now.

Diamonds are the only thing that will still be around 1 million years after humanity is gone. That and anything we leave on the moon.

Hmm, never heard of it, but yes, exactly that. Well, I was thinking something more visible to the naked eye.

>Wouldn't we have to figure out how to [i]not[i] fuck up/unfuck up out own planet first?

We already know how we screwed up. We will never be able to undo it and we will continue to do it.

Actually, I think this option pretty much covers everything that you guys want so far in this thread.

But what if what we consider "screwing up" just causes an extreme envirnment for more capable and intelligent organisms to exist? Just like the difference in environment that would have been fatal to all life before KT, is now allowing humans to adapt and thrive?

is death, or "destruction" even a negative thing really?

>The group says the crystals have a virtually unlimited lifetime at room temperature, or 13.8 billion year lifespan at 190 degrees Celsius (hey, that’s the age of the Universe). In 2013, the researchers first stored a 300K text file in five dimensions using the same technology. So far, the group has encoded major documents from human history like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), Newton’s Opticks, the Magna Carta, and the King James Bible as digital copies that could theoretically survive humans on our planet.

>Diamonds are the only thing that will still be around 1 million years after humanity is gone.
Not if they're buried deep enough to be recompressed.

>That and anything we leave on the moon.
This involves a lot of assumptions.

>Well, I was thinking something more visible to the naked eye.
So we need massive page-sized plates of synthetic diamond? How many of them are you thinking?

>We will never be able to undo it and we will continue to do it.
Well, if you're more concerned with warning hypothetical future life that hypothetically ends up in the exact same fucking place in the universe as us, than focusing on our own problems.

Miniaturize VR headsets (more-so), create a ubiquitous computer vision platform, and improve were google-glass left off.

>So we need massive page-sized plates of synthetic diamond?
>How many of them are you thinking?

More than 1bil would pay for I'm sure.

>focusing on our own problems.

That's childish and selfish attitude. Our time is at an end.

>posts pseudoscience meme
Sorry, I didn't realize how unintelligent you are.

Invest in researching ways to improve the quality of scientific research and improve the return of investment for those investing. Scientific method is shown to be vulnerable to politics, corruption, and misinformation. If this isn't nipped in the butt it would stagnate scientific research for decades. People are already beginning to think the system is broken.

Also invest in ways to get other rich people to invest in science. Add, PSA, fundraisers or what ever.

He's been making these style of posts and threads all week, he literally hasn't stopped. He seems to think he is Nostradamus and is able to predict STEM occurrences.

wait. Five dimensions???? THEFUCK

Artificial Intelligence desu

lets have some Ava's

lmao we would be out of this world by 3000s

And you can't, brainlet?

If better men than you couldn't, then no and don't fear myself being called a 'brainlet' by a 'brainlet lite'.

I'd use it to develop an app that targets flat earthers and science deniers and somehow sterilize them.

Elon Musk. I trust he'd know what to do with it for the better of humanity.

My own research get rekt fgt

this thread is full of fucking morons holy shit

Definitely something to do with human genetics. 500 million to HGP-write, 500 million to generating a large database of genetic information along with as much matched outcome information as possible (IQ, height, mental illnesses, etc)

communion with god as there is nothing more revealing

gid could be love, or masturbation

whatever proves the hodge conjecture faster

Molecular nanotechnology

Variable thinking speed.

In-vitro meat.

Batteries.

moderation on Veeky Forums

id invest it in finding qt gfs for all anons

:')

God bless.

bitches and stitches

biological immortality

Id buy nukes from north korea bomb the middle east. Then have the pope read a biblical statement to ensue mass hysteria while monkeys kill one another wait that out. Reinforce the worlds military and let anyone join. With that we have a world martial law anywhere theres choas im sure some fucking clutz will not follow orders but thats humanity. Then give an ultimatum to the jews, bomb the fuck out israel anyways blame it on the koreans. Since the world has been reinforced with my 1b i spent the rest to have britain and the u.s defend the koreans now america has israel and the north koreans to play fetch with.
U.S the father
Isreal the son
North korea the holy spirit
Amen
Then buy and ounce of weed and smoo0ke up before getting shot in the back of the head by a black ops team sent by mossad for israel and her interest. Just because big brother works does not mean he gets to ride the bus with us.

I would invest it in figuring out how to ejaculate a gallon of semen in one go like they do in hentai anime. I think it would be a noble pursuit.

Moron

Tesla is disgustingly overpriced

The first two models sure, but the model 3 is going to be starting at 35k but be around 42k fully kitted. If you don't understand that a niche luxury car full of next level tech is actually worth a hundred grand you're immature.

Why do you have to infest every thread with your degeneracy?

Don't post shit like that over here.

The C4 rice project. Sure, it's a moonshot, but the payoff (feeding up to one billion extra people) could be huge

muh mental masturbation thread is infected

Cyborgs
I don't want to die so i'd just invest in a brain holding machine ( a cyborg that is )

Human genetic engineering to increase intelligence.

solar power and hemp. fill the arid regions of the world with both (i'm looking at you north west australia)

ecovillages and farms for white people in Japan:

workaway.info/hostlist-JP.html

wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en

db.ecovillage.org/en/projects/504

permacultureglobal.org/projects

ic.org/directory/listings/?cmty-country=Japan

colorblindness and the remainder alzheimers

How do you overcome the basic language and information barrier? You'll have no Rosetta Stone, if the entirety of humanity is destroyed. Ordering all of mathematics from simplest to most complicated is doable, but without the ability to understand consequences, you'll be giving nuclear bombs to cave men.

i think it's been done before, but i'd actually invest in a multidisciplinary research lab. invite eager minds to work on whatever drives their passions, and share ideas and collaborate. in return, they get a great environment where all their needs and comforts are met.

but if i had to list one thing that interests me atm, i guess it is the idea of generating some type of stable chlorophyll type molecule that could be incorporated into films that are just sprayed onto panels to generate electricity. if we are to harness solar, we need tech that is dirt cheap.

Go ahead with my plan to produce Silane fuel from a mixture of water and silicon subjected to radiation.

Nuclear fusion obvs. Speaking of which, how is ITER doing? Havent heard much as of late

3 spacial and 2 phases

Like the cancer suggestion above, this is already something that has billions being invested in it.

Think, he meant the stock, not the actual cars.

does space travel count as science or as engineering? if science, that. if not, i'd probably drop it on something energy technology wise. i think that shit needs revolutionizing.

>ST PAUL-LEZ-DURANCE, France (16 June 2016) – Concluding a two-year effort by the ITER Organization and the seven Domestic Agencies to establish a new baseline schedule, the ITER Council has endorsed the updated Integrated Schedule for the ITER Project, which identifies the date of First Plasma as December 2025.

First Plasma as December 2025
it looks like I'll be long dead before they'll start producing electricity

>This is the stupidest thing I've seen today. Congrats.
theverge.com/2016/2/16/11018018/5d-data-storage-glass

gene therapy and brain implants can do the same thing

I have a solution for that

So basically rewriting the human genome (George Church is already involved in this, I believe) and a database of genome-wide association studies?

funding right wing movements throughout the west

Whats the point of funding technologies or research or longer lives when western civilization won't survive this century?

Figure out how to cure sleep. I fucking hate sleep, we need to get rid of it.

Cat girls.

That or lunar colonization, but I think my money would go farther invested in cat girls.

Do you even English? Do you even read past the first half baked definition? Kindly die so as to improve the breeding pool.

you'll be labelled as racist and killed
the only way possible is to create ecovillages and gated communities that SILENTLY allow only whites to live there; you can look up this practical example that is already functioning:

svanholm.dk/index.php?id=78

we need thousands of them!

Damn, they really fucked up the schedule. I thought within the last couple of years JET actually managed to produce a net gain of electricity, and now the project just needed to be scaled up. I didn't realise it was quite that far off

I'm giving a meme answer anyway. I'm funding full scale commercial prototypes of the IFR and/or ThorCon, currently with a slight preference towards ThorCon.

But actually, I would have to spend that money lobbying some national government somewhere just to allow ThorCon to get their shit going, and that comes before paying for the actual prototype. Yea.

CBI's and BCI's.
We need more research in those fields so the human race can finally understand the brain.
(brain-computer and computer-brain interface research for you dumbasses

>Put 98% of endowment into trust
>draw dividends
>give out a few 40k, 50k one year grants
>maybe a nice 3-4 year grant for 200-300k very rarely
>pay myself 1$ million/year

Just like American cancer society!

A)Thorium fission.
B)Sterilization of Africans
This would be the 2 projects that I would invest in

Isn't the Musketeer interested in working on that?

Diamonds can be burned though

The sterilization and removal of inferior races

Which ones?

All of them eccept Nordic, Germanic, and some of the Mediterranean ones

I see, I seem to remember someone trying that at some point in history. Didn't work out too well.

Why would God create a sentient race on this same planet again when there's so many others?

Its a good idea tho, but the chances of it benefiting anybody are slim.

Not even circlejerks want your degeneracy over here.

Take your pedophile cartoons to

I actually do want him here user.

Fuck off and kill yourself.

more medical research. the final frontier lies not in space, but within ourselves.

there is so much we don't know about the human brain, but people talk about creating machines that could rival it. seems like we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Sure, space counts. What aspect of space travel would you invest in?

Propulsion, life support, on-planet transportation etc?

Space travel. Our earth won't last more than 100 years.

Genetic engineered catgirls for domestic ownership.