Shadow had done three years in prison. He was big enough...

>Shadow had done three years in prison. He was big enough, and looked don’t-fuck-with-me enough that his biggest problem was killing time. So he kept himself in shape, and taught himself coin tricks, and thought a lot about how much he loved his wife.

Is there a point to this thread? What do you want to discuss?

at least he was called Shadow and not Mr Miffy the Lovable London Cockney Stereotype Who Wears Fingerless Gloves and Mispronounces Common Words In A Comical Manner

Gaiman has a rich imagination... and an ability to tackle large themes.

What do you mean "at least"? Shadow is a teenage self-insert fanfic level name. It doesn't get any more cringeworthy than that.

Neil Gaiman fans are legitimately the worst humans I've ever met.

A casual Gaiman fan is alright, it's the ones who think Gaiman is the Greatest Writer Of Our Time who are shitty people.

They're even making a tv show out of it.

it's sad that the vignettes are the best writing in the book. gay taxi man was pretty decent

I still don't understand how gaiman was able to make something like sandman, which I legitimately think is a good work of fiction. but he also wrote absolutely disgusting works like stardust or neverwhere, or uninteresting ones like american gods

What did you dislike about Neverwhere? Also, keep in mind when you read Gaiman as like, a 13 year old he seems pretty cool. I'm sure if you read him in your 20's or 30's the lameness is more evident.

neverwhere never went anywhere interesting and seemed more interested in creating an uninteresting world mythology than creating an engaging plot, I can't really make a more nuanced argument than that because I'm drawing off impressions from reading it when I was in my teens. I got on a gaiman kick after sandman

when you speak to the lameness of gaiman now do you mean sandman as well? has it not held up in your opinion from reading it again later? I haven't touched it since reading it years back

I liked Neverwhere. The Marquis de Carabas was great.

Shadow is a nigger??????????????

>neverwhere never went anywhere interesting

that's why it's called neverwhere, duh.

Neverwhere is great you fag.

he got half-carried by his illustrators. read it again, the parts with shakespeare are saccharine trash.

I read anansi boys and found it a charming read for lazy summer afternoons. That's the extent of my experience with the author

Sandman is still good because there is very few prose like the OP. It's mostly dialogue with pictures masking Gaiman's hackness.

Thats a great book mate

PickWick Papers was better.

Fuck off Stardust was great. But yeah he's really not good at sustaining stories beyond a conceit.

which was part of the plot all along