For those who aren't biology majors...

For those who aren't biology majors, what are some facts you still remember from your elementary or high school biology class?

mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

Cytoplasm is the powerhouse of the cell

I remember learning that asians get drunk fast because they don't have alcohol-dehydrogenaze enzyme. Also some bullshit about ATP-synthesis, and that DNA is made of adenine, cytosine, guanine, and something beginning with T (too lazy to google). When DNA is unwinded, RNA-copies are made where uracyl replaces one of the ATCG compounds, I don't remember which...

>elementary

A beaver dam is an extended phenotypic effect of beaver genes.

Some stuff about clotting factors, and different chemical pathways. ATP synthase, high energy electrons, different immune cells and what they each do. Osteoblasts, osteoclasts, bone remodelling. How muscle proteins work.

I enjoyed learning about it, but I never used it again so it's really fuzzy now.

Oh, the electron transport chain. That's what it's called. It's all coming back now.

Damn, I should get a bio textbook...

Not a damn thing.
t. physics graduate

High school biology was the worst science class I took. Lecturer was fucking terrible. It was so much of a letdown after how much I enjoyed my general science class that I didn't take chemistry until college. It's a shame because I don't really dislike biology.

Not a lot other than dissecting a fish then frying it up in economics after. What a wild ride that was

Did you get the parastic larvas inside it ?

Nah the school was super poor and shit so the fish were bought from the grocers. Half the dissection was already done for us.

You dont remember because you forgot the one it replaces

I remember learning how photosynthesis works because I really liked that unit. I forgot absolutely everything else though.

There is stuff that changes it's appearance significantly after one generation (sometimes there are several of those cycles before the original 'stuff' comes up again).

e.g. there is some tree that, after reproducing looks like some moss or something, and then when that reproduces it's back to the tree again.

I found that fascinating.

>elementary
Plant cells are square/rectangular and animals are circular/ovular
>high school
I do not know i spent the whole time flirting with this chinese girl, i think oil being hydrophobic

something something surface area

You are referring to the haplodiplontic life of plants. Essentially the two life forms of a tree is the tree (diploid) and the seed (haploid).

The Moss like forms is usually found in more primitive plants like ferns

One gene, one protein :^)

when i took hs bio, you had to dissect the frog, or fail the class

Do alternative gene splicing and RNA modification mean nothing to you?

if you leave a dead frog over the weekend it starts to smell

All the duck species in my country

Life is made from C H O N P S and K... amirite?

C HOPKInS CaFe

I learned absolutely nothing from HS bio, I skated by and did the bare minimum, cram studied and skated by with an A some how.
American High School education means absolute bologne though, even the AP courses are just a big ass circle jerk, pat yourself on the back for reading a little more than your peers BS

mitochondria is the powerhouse of a cell

real qt emo girl and I disected a pig together. I made a idiot out of my self when I tried to talk to her.

Also

I remember some things about the kidney. Like nephrons.

Birds are dinosaurs
Viruses are alive
There is no meaning of life

King Phillip Comes Over For Good Soup

Viruses are not alive

Kyle please come over for gay sex.

Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell. Whatever that means.

Also: DNA is pretty much binary, and don't get stuck being the guy who does everything in group projects.

You're wrong.

Dick kicking porchmonkeys can't outrun fucking gook shits

I was an edgelord

The earth is 4000years old

Honestly, next to nothing. I only liked biology until it got annoying, which was highschool.

Consider the following: high school material is shit. I didn't take high school chemistry because high school biology was a 180 from the enjoyment I had in high school "general science". I fucking loved general chemistry in college. I now wonder if I would have enjoyed biology as well.