Started reading seriously a year ago, can't seem to enjoy video games anymore...

Started reading seriously a year ago, can't seem to enjoy video games anymore. I usually play Final Fantasy games but I can't enjoy gaming when I know I could be reading and learning. Maybe I should switch over to shorter games.

Anybody else experience this?

Then you are not reading enough. I play video games to take a break from reading and rest my mind.

Yes, exact same thing. Don't worry too much about it. When you read more often and more demanding works you'll be glad to take a break with some videogames for a while, and that's good for you.

I read, I write. I watch dota sometimes.

>guys i read so much i don't even like vidya anymore lmao that stuff is for kids anyway XD

you watch dota but you don't play? why not just watch a sport?

>/v/ lurker crawls out of the woodwork

I have this to a degree, but it's more that I veer towards more gameplay-oriented games over story driven stuff. I started to play a Final Fantasy out of nostalgia and then wondered why I was bothering with what's essentially a bad novel with grinding in between the text dumps.

So I play stuff like Monster Hunter and strategy games when not reading, and when I want low quality literary entertainment I read Silver Age comics on my tablet for fun.

I haven't been able to pay another other than counterstrike for the past 4 years. I use it to take a break from reading or work or when I'm too tired to do anything better. Even then I get so bored with it, lately i just switch from the novel I'm currently reading to light and easy short stories.

>read more
>only play interactive stories

You know how everyone has been telling you your whole life that videogames are for kids, and that eventually you'll grow out of them? And you were all like "nuh uh, I know an adult who plays games", even though you already knew on some level that these people were pathetic losers?

This is you growing up. Congratulations.

Could this be true ;__;

Nah that guy is just butthurt

What is happening is that you got a new hobby and got enough into it that you'd rather spend your time on it than on one of your previous ones. Simple as that. If you think it won't go away I found that playing extremely gameplay-focused games helped, so I switched to exclusively playing traditional roguelikes like DCSS, Brogue, Angband etc.

>roguelikes

Let me guess, your idea of 'literature' is generic medieval fantasy, but you hate Game of Thrones because it's too popular.

Wrong on all accounts. I haven't even read Game of Thrones and the only fantasy I've read since I was 13 is Lord of the Rings. I'm sorry user, you're not as smart as you think

I do hate the feeling of wasting time, but what I do is multitask.

Video games don't require that much concentration (at least, the ones I play don't, or else they're turn-based/allow me to pause), so you can do something else while playing them to feel less like it's wasting time. I almost never play without an informational podcast or lecture going. You can download masses of The Teaching Company courses that are audio-only to listen to while you grind exp or shoot people or whatever it is you want to play. Veeky Forums has a glut of podcast threads where you can find some podcasts you might like--In Our Time is always a favorite and has a backlog that would last you through years of video game playing.

It might diminish story-oriented games though, I dunno. I play FFXIV while doing this, but I do stop when I'm doing main story quest stuff (or extreme primal trials).

Any books like Overwatch?

Cool, I play FFXIV too, been mainly crafting now and I have tried listening to audiobook at the same time but it's so easy to get lost in the game. But that's pretty much the only game I play regularly at least a couple times a week. I own ps4, vita and 3ds and have many games I haven't played that I bought last year about the same time I really got into reading. Could probably just sell those that I know are pretty much waste of time.

>watching games

youre either in your edgy "so mature now lawl" phase or just legitimately grew up. how is that a bad thing?

Video games offer absolutely nothing but false accomplishment.

I don't know, I've been gaming for over 20 years and it just feels weird to not want to do it anymore, at least as much as before. But it's not like all I do is read either. I don't think games are stupid but they just don't give the same excitement anymore.

some of us have been reading long enough to have a gentle disdain for the hobby

it's only the recently-converted reader who enjoys bragging that he's given up idle pursuits for reading

>bragging

There's no particular benefits to reading fiction as a hobby besides material for pondering upon and a wider vocabulary. Reading just got labelled as a "smart" hobby regardless of the content or amount of dedication put into it. Someone with a real academic background will get far more mileage out of any "literary" fiction than a random layman

Pretty much same. I've got a Vita and 3DS and just got the xbone recently. Only use the last for watching films/tv on. The other two are caked in dust. I log into FFXIV almost every day usually to make my house prettier.

I wouldn't recommend audiobooks honestly, you need full concentration for something like that. That's why I mentioned podcasts and lectures--they're pretty low-key, like having a conversation while you're playing. A couple of seconds of lost concentration for them won't matter much, but that'd matter much more if you're listening to a book.

It is.
Loser.