Octopus genome may be alien

>Octopus genome so unlike other mollusks and other invertebrates that it's being called "alien" by the scientists
>Octopuses have 33,000 genes, roughly 10,000 more than a human
>Analysis of 12 different tissues revealed hundreds of octopus-specific genes found in no other animal
nature.com/nature/journal/v524/n7564/full/nature14668.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4Tcnq2iYJJo
youtube.com/watch?v=3kQuMVffbWA
elifesciences.org/content/4/e05198
oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/octopus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> scientists have given up hope on the search for aliens so they're classifying animals aliens to satisfy their alium stuff quota
feels bad man

The Hawaiian creation myth is true.

I think we all know it's true

>implying "aliens" aren't just subterranean lifeforms that live deep within the earth, deeper even than the oceans

...wait. It's not turtles all the way down?!?

Lol, I've shitposted this exact thing before:
Cephalopods are the smartest invertebrates.
They've been around since shortly after the Cambrian explosion.
They have "hands" of a sort.
What if they're space-faring aliens that colonized Earth, then went native?

>Octopuses have 33,000 genes
Plants have way more, what's the point ? Even then, number of genes is an absurd metric.
>Ocotopuses have octopuses genes.
Tax dollars hard at work right there.

stop what you're doing >:ı

>tax dollars hard at work right here
How about reading the abstract before commenting you fucking retard.

Octopi are my favorite animals. They are also extremely tasty.

Exhibit A: youtu.be/4Tcnq2iYJJo

>Mascot for big oil companies is octopus
>oil responsible for global warming
>Extreme climate changes lead to population explosion
>World octopus and squid populations are booming

Are we being invaded?

Dumb clickbaiter

Sage

Why must every interesting find be ruined by IFLS or tinfoil or clickbait tards?

>"we know more about outer space than we know about our own ocean"

Is that quote even accurate? I mean if it were true then it might be possible there's aliens living in the deepest depths of the ocean. Maybe the high pressure mimics their planet of origin. Who knows what lies in the deepest depths.

youtube.com/watch?v=3kQuMVffbWA

or is it part of some bigger human plot?
hurm

Calling it "alien" is silly.
It just shows how crazy evolution can make genomes. The deep ocean seems alien to us because how different it is from our land environments.

Why would peopel immediately go to aliens as the explanation, and not maybe that evolution isn't true?

It is amazing that a clam and a lively intelligent creature like a taco could both be molluscs

aliens are the atheist "gods"

Octopi are "alien" in the sense that their complex eyes and moderate intelligence developed separately from our own, and they are adapted to a very different environment. This gives us an idea of the different forms "alien" intelligent life could take, and also implies that the two-eye model is indeed efficient for a planet similar to our own.

That, however, does NOT make them in any way "extraterrestrial" or truly "alien" in that other sense of the world.

Clickbait article.

I always wondered if given the right evolutionary pressures and time they could become a technology driven civilization like ours, their limbs seem pretty well suited for tool making.

Consider the following image and make your own conclusions.

They would have to lose the self destructive reproduction though

Lovecraft was right all along
I knew it

this quote from the paper kind of interesting

>> A-to-G discrepancies between the assembled genome and transcriptome sequences provided evidence for extensive mRNA editing by adenosine deaminases acting on RNA (ADARs).

these RNA editing seems to occur a lot in cephalopods

one paper thought that in squid it occurs in almost all genes elifesciences.org/content/4/e05198

?'
where are the gills?

>Octopuses have 33,000 genes, roughly 10,000 more than a human

So? Paris japonica has about 150 billion base pairs and 40 chromosomes.

>pic

It is more likely humans evolved in a plethora of environments and have abilities to deal with most of them efficiently.

pfffffft we havent even decodified 1% of animals and this cucks are already alien calling

and thats why our inside-ears fucking explode after too many time underwater

and primitive cultures are based solely on land

mother fuck, why, should i get into flowers?

>mfw we expected them come from above
>they come from below

wrong, all primitive culture revolves around water, quite literally around water, not literally revolving.

It also might explain why people are drawn to large bodies of water. Simply starring out over a lake, pond, or ocean creates a calming feeling. It's almost a primal urge or instinct written into our DNA like the need to procreate or something.

>human is the best swimmer & diver among the apes, capability lasts from birth to death
I wonder why black people can't swim...

Might have something to do with needing water to survive. You know. Since we need to hydrate to live.

What about thalassophobia?

> You know. Since we need to hydrate to live.

Do other wild animals need water? Why don't they form permanent residence on the shores of large water bodies? (these are rhetorical, you don't need to answer, seriously plz stop posting)

>It also might explain why people are drawn to large bodies of water. Simply starring out over a lake, pond, or ocean creates a calming feeling.

That has nothing to do with the actual location. It has to do with the level of visual/audio stimuli. It is the same thing with fire, fish tanks, snow, rain, active screensavers, music, stars, etc.

> why dont animals have civilization?????

retard

underrated

we wuz mermaids n shit

>black
>people

kek

Humans ability to swim definitely separated us from other primates. We're able to obtain more diverse foods and travel to new locations other primates can't. But we're not meant to live in the water for extended periods of time. No gills, cant hold our breath that long, and terrible underwater vision.

>One hundred thousands
ree

OCTOPUSES ARE NOT ALIENS! THEY EVOLVED SEPARATELY FROM OTHER ANIMALS AND HAVE COMPLEX GENES BECAUSE OUR COMMON ANCESTOR IS FARTHER BACK THEN MOST OTHER ANIMALS WE KNOW OF. THEY EVOLVED EYES SEPARATELY AND THEY HAVE MORE GENES THEN HUMANS DO. BIG FUCKING DEAL. CORN HAS 32,000 GENES, THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS FROM FUCKING MARS.

of course you have

>I am literally unable to post a good comment.

Sequel when

BAH conference, google it.

You can prove pretty much everything with this sort of reasoning.

ayyyyyyyyy

We wuz dolphins an sheeit!

All kidding aside, nigs can't swim because they're shit at parenting and never teach their kids to swim. The kids grow up assuming that swimming is some sort of honky witchcraft voodoo bullshit and never teach their kids. Ad infinitum.

del taco is shit

What's wrong with their reproduction?

They would have to leave the sea, wouldn't they? I can't imagine technology without fire.

this

>OUR COMMON ANCESTOR IS FARTHER BACK THEN MOST OTHER ANIMALS WE KNOW OF
Really?

Iirc octopi kill themselves every time they reproduce. I forget exactly how, but I think they just don't eat when carrying eggs and then die immediately after releasing a swarm of babies. Might be different for different species, not sure. Google it

You are right. I am sure there are way to avoid this though, liking by making only a few reproduce.

geothermal? Biochemical? Mareomotriz?
Guess the question is how do they achieve metal age. We needed fire to overcome our environment. They don't. But, you do need metals to investigate steam engine...

>octopi

*octopodes

is that true about the corn?

wtf are corn smart?

* octopuses
oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/octopus

octopussy

underrated post

>how do they achieve metal age.
Probably through the use of underwater volcanoes.

An unfortunate aberration.

affirmative action strikes again