What does people here think of jonathan safran foer?

Other urls found in this thread:

ratter.com/ratter/all/heyday-in-tabloids/213577-if-you-fall-for-natalie-portman-nicole-krauss-will-be
usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/michelle-williams-and-jonathan-safran-foer-are-dating-2015297
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no discernible talent

i liked remembering all of the names of the jews in everything is illuminated

I think that he eez of the Jew!!

Honestly no idea.

nu male pseud

does Veeky Forums know the natalie portman story

all i know is she converted to veganism after reading 'eating animals'

I no idea what he's like as an author but he looks like a fag in that pic.

Overrated, exemplar of the contemporary lit club of hug buddies that also includes Junot Diaz, Juno Diaz, Amy Tan, Jhumpa Lahiri, Michiko Kakutani, etc.

true
why are these hacks getting pumped up?

mostly for being semi-literate, ironic, and (most importantly) not white

which story is that m8

the last three aren't even of the same generation as foer and diaz or in the same circles afaik, try harder

foer got some fan emails from portman, corresponded with her a bit and she wanted to do a doc on his book, he became obsessed and 'fell in love' with her, left his wife and children, portman wasn't interested at all, had no idea, and got married to a french dancer, he's left alone
they're doing a q&a together for his new book in the fall
ratter.com/ratter/all/heyday-in-tabloids/213577-if-you-fall-for-natalie-portman-nicole-krauss-will-be

later he did date michelle william apparently so who knows
usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/michelle-williams-and-jonathan-safran-foer-are-dating-2015297

what a beta bitch

I'm sure he'll find a nice wife with a son

that is pathetic

>By A.J. Daulerio

JUST BANKRUPT MY SHIT UP PHAM

would this be considered middlebrow? low-middlebrow?

more like middlebrown

hehehe

So they have to be a part of same age generation to be part of the same professional "club?" These big names in contemporary American lit all share the quality of being heavily degree'd-- having been formally "educated" in creative writing at big name schools. They are symbolic of the awful institutionalized creative writing/MFA system in America. They are largely NYC based and all write immigrant or foreigner stories that include things like hip, adorkable "voice" and circle jerk each other because they're all friends. You won't see Kakutani put out anything less than a glowing review for any of these people.

Lahiri is the only one who actually has any talent, and she still limits herself and plays the part.

>the MFA spook
m8, the fact that they're all in New York jerking each other off has more to do with their bland, unoriginal writing than some degree.

How the fuck can you do this and not end up killing urself my man?

i didn't like "everything is illuminated" very much. there were some good bits but i didn't like the way he made the guide guy a typical borat-like character like he's saying "haha look at you funny foreigners, why aren't you more like americans"

i liked "eating animals". it's a pretty good takedown of the meat industry and although it is americacentric it pretty much applies to most countries where factory farming is the norm. there was one glaring omission in the book, which is that religious slaughter- kosher and halal- is not mentioned. i am guessing this is because the author didn't want to upset his own family.

>having been formally "educated" in creative writing at big name schools

Diaz's BA was from Rutgers, which is just the state university for NJ. Pretty much any New Jerseyite with a high school diploma could go there. He later got his MFA at Cornell, but accepted on the strength of the work and writing he did at Rutgers. The way you wrote it makes it sound like he didn't work for anything and was given his career quid-pro-quo like GW Bush going to Yale as an undergrad as a legacy with shit grades and then the presidency on the strength of his pop.

Diaz put in the work and climbed the ladder, that's how it's supposed to work.

OP, I read Everything Is Illuminated on the strength of browsing it from the new table at the library back when, before I knew about Veeky Forums and before this board existed. I thought it was great. I liked GG Marques's 100YoS and Borges already and EiI told a story that I wanted to read, presented in a way i hadn't seen before.

Kek.

Joke of a writer

Extremely loud ... was so terrible, I still cringe whenever I think about it