Hi guys. Next year I will start studying physics at university...

Hi guys. Next year I will start studying physics at university. So far my choice was only based on my personnal preference, but now I am wondering, how much does a physicist earn with a master for example?

I think working in an industry is much more cost effective than researching, but let's face it, computational programmation wins hands down in terms of industrial possibilities, unless Veeky Forums knows something about it that I don't...

Please tell me I could still earn more than average money :)

Other urls found in this thread:

qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-b934f4d25b38a607672455800e6c159e?convert_to_webp=true
payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/graduate-degrees?page=20
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You'll earn as much as a person in a field earns. Degrees don't get you money, they get you an entrance pass to certain fields and it just so happens that some fields are wealthier than others.

Guide yourself with this:

qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-b934f4d25b38a607672455800e6c159e?convert_to_webp=true

It is for PhDs so I would chop down at least 30% of the figures. For example, it says PhDs in government earn 100k, make it 70k for your typical BSc and MSc holder.

On the other hand, see this for an even more general view:

payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/graduate-degrees?page=20

It says that a Physics MSc earn 67k dollars a year, which is just 3k short of my prediction using the previous statistics. Know that it is the average and just like there are physicists in industry earning hundreds, there are physicists teaching in community college earning shit.

> computational programmation

It is programming and I don't think it is necessary to say computational programming. I think it is well understood programming involves computers. Also, you are right about industry being best unless you are an absolute genius. The best of the best have been able to 'tame' the university beast like our friend Terence Tao who earns more than 500 thousand dollars a year for his salary, now add to that the millions from his book and other duties. But for every Terence Tao, there are two thousand academics earning the same as a fucking Mc Donald's cashier, so my tip for you is to get the fuck away of academia the moment you get that paper.

Thanks for the answer. It looks like the average physicist is not a Terence Tao as you say, pretty unfortunate. 67k is very low imo, getting to the 100k would be the nicest minimum, but maybe there's too much luck involved in it.
Looks like petroleum makes up the head of the list. With good reason though, I wonder if it would be a wise choice to study more about energy and foresee the collapse of petroleum for the benefit of electrical cars for example and develop wiser energy methods. Just a random thought out there, I am simply not prepared to teach to autistic students and earn shit money, noooooooo plz Veeky Forums :/

>67k is very low imo
You should note that the statistics say that 67k is at the start of your career. The mid career stats say 100k so maybe if you work hard and shit.

That said, if you want to be a physicist physicist then you will have to teach autistic students, there is no way around that because the only way professors make money for their company (universities) is by teaching, publishing papers is just a prestige contest you have between other professors so that when budget cuts come you are not the one fired.

>67K is very low imo

your opinion is idiotic.

I have an associates degree, i made $70k last year working 3 days a week. $67k for a 5 day a week job is low user.

May I ask your degree and job title?

Associate degree in 'Rich parents' and I work as the CEO's assitants for a stock trading company.

>publishing papers is just a prestige contest you have between other professors so that when budget cuts come you are not the one fired.

not him but a physicist about the graduate from an MSc. Do you know what things are like for working in PhD granting labs which don't have teaching arms (i.e. not universities) for example CERN or DESY or something like that?

lol that is not me obviously
I have a degree in electromechanical technology. Im basically a glorified industrial electrician. I work weekends only (friday saturday sunday), 12 hour shifts. With all double time and overtime included i make $37.50 per hour of work.

>have an associates degree, i made $70k last year working 3 days a week

Sure you did champ.

Interesting. I've been considering getting an associates in (manual and cnc) machining which pays a little less. I'm hugely interested in science (phys, chem) but I don't feel that I could do the academia or research shit, especially the competitive atmosphere I expect. Any regrets? Do you feel that you have much opportunity to "move up" or potentially own a business? Any continuing education or self-learning on the side?

(365/7)*3*12*37.50 = 70392.8571

Adds up. Well, it makes sense. With the growth of 'follow your dream' money sink degrees trades are becoming a much more rewarding path.

Are you associated with a company or do you look for clients on the week?

No regrets really. I work at a very large privately owned company and there is plenty of positions available to move up into but none of them offer as good of a schedule so im staying where im at for now. Owning a buisiness would require me to get my master electricians card, which wouldnt be too difficult but god is electrcal code boring. I continue to half ass educate myself in math and physics via the internet but thats about it.

I work for a company, well the union technically. I know i will get flak for saying that but i honestly dont care.

>well the union technically
>union
>mfw

so daddy kept a seat warm for you and now you go online and swing your dick about how you make 70K a year working less than full time with an associates degree. feel free to fuck off.

Havent seen my dad since i was 10. Nice try faggot.

Nice to see black people succeeding in the workplace too.

but you never would have gotten into a union without inside help so you're lying. Nice try faggot.

What the hell? (I'm not him). I thought unions were literally were you went after getting your trade degree stuff.

Is it not? Is it a fucking secret club for the big boys or something?

>you never would have gotten into a union without inside help
u wot comrade?

It's literally the good ole' boys club for trades.

Union workers get amazing pay and benefits for their jobs, so nobody lets anyone in other than their own kids. The guy is lying.

The funny thing is im not. I dont know if its my local union but UAW was incredibly easy to get into. I literally applied for the job like any other job, got an interview and bam, i was in the union.

lets give you the benefit of the doubt, then it means that you're statistically an outlier/lucky and shouldn't be giving advice.

No im not. Theres plenty of morons who are fresh out of high school who are in production jobs and part of the same union i am. Like i said, i dont know if its just my local union. It could be different elsewhere, but where i live its not at all like you seem to think it is. It's basically, you apply for the job, interview with the company (union never even sees you) if the company wants to hire you they actually force you to join the union. I had no choice. From what I understand, our union cant even deny you if the company hires you.

Im not black but i was asking for that i supposed. I keked.