My father was too soft on me and my mother an anxious mess...

My father was too soft on me and my mother an anxious mess. What other books do I read to learn to replace parental guidance and build fortitude?

>inb4 Stoics

stoics

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

dont be a little faggot and blame your parents for your own failures. its all been your fault since you were about 12

Start with the greeks

The whole point of growing up is breaking away from the teachings of your parents and becoming yourself. If you're still looking for parental guidance, not only have you already failed, but you've proven yourself incapable of deriving information.

If you need everything spelled out for you because you can't process and analyse the experiences you had, you're doomed anyway.

You already know the ideals you want to embody, so what exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for someone to mimic?

ingest poetry like it's the nectar of your misspent days because it is

Christ you people have daddy issues.

My parents didn't teach me critical thought, fortitude, or gratefulness. The only value impressed upon me was that I had to be smart, so I walked into a HYPSM school and promptly pissed away an education in hedonistic nihilism.

You think anyone can do this shit? Educating themselves morally from scratch?

Get a manual labour job

>you've proven yourself incapable of deriving information
well that's hyperbole times a billion

Well, morals aren't that hard, really, if you have a any sense of right and wrong. It's a case by case evaluation, right? If you're unhappy with how you are, then you must have an idea of how you want to be. All that's left is actually doing it. Which, admittedly, is the hardest part.

Maybe I'm not the right person to ask, because I've always been relatively independent and self reflective as far as myself goes, but really, no matter who you are, you start with the golden rule and go from there. Right?

I should add that until I was 18 I was fucking crazy. As in, a complete screaming lunatic, and my dad was distant and emotionally broken and my mother was in another country, so. I kind of had to start from scratch too.

If you can reflect, then you can change.

Thanks user
Got any books?

You have faggot issues

>Being this ignorant of modern developmental psychology.

You're allowed to say your parents fucked you up. Obviously OP is trying to change it, so it's not like he's not taking responsibility.

so annoying: i want to wack it but i think my roommate took the day off

parents are overrated, you'll find the most socially successful people learned not from their parents but from older siblings

I mean, yeah, but... they're just fiction.
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. I read a lot of Anne McCaffrey. Augusten Burroughs maybe.

drop trip and leave the board please

Start with the greeks, work your way through the western canon, transcend into patriciandom

Seriously, it'll take a lot of work but it'll be worth it.

The way of men

>My father was too soft on me and my mother an anxious mess.

Parents who are like this deserve to be shot for having children.

Parenting ain't easy, kid. Some think they'll be good parents and find out only when it's too late that they were never suited for the job.

Holy shit, are you me? Did they also tell you all the time how fucking brilliant you were?

Anyway, just like most of life's problems, the only way out is through. Just don't think about it, and go do the things you want to do. It's that easy. Thinking about anything else ("W...what if I fail..?") is only going to derail you. There's no advice, no trick, nothing that's going to make your life easy. Now go write or exercise or whatever the fuck activity is going to get you what you want.