How many chemicals exist? How many chemicals can there potentially exist? How many of these chemicals are psychoactive...

How many chemicals exist? How many chemicals can there potentially exist? How many of these chemicals are psychoactive? Is it possible that there is some sort of super drug that we have yet to discover that is 100x as euphoric as meth?

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tcr.200900030/pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Infinite, infinite, infinite, probably not.

Don't know, but likely finite.
Don't know, but near certainly finite.
Don't know, but with certainty, finite amount.
Very unlikely. The brain is a machine, and as it presently exists, it isn't likely capable of existing in a state of that sort. Terms like "100x as euphoric as" are also not very useful.

Every "chemical" is a combination of set values interacting with one another in specific ways yada yada the point is, on earth we have the elements of the periodic table. If you wanted an answer, you would need to know the maximum affordability for size of a molecule. Also, if you're including solutions, the number will increase exponentially.
To the second part, the brain has a very specific structure, so there are not infinite molecules that could do what you are suggesting if there is a maximum molecule size. There very well may be, though. Maybe even 420x.

Did you know abstinence from stimulant drugs has a multiplicative effect on their potency ?

If you refrain from all drugs for 1 month, it will be much different than to use every day. And to increase to 3, 6 months etc, 1 year, the amount will be huge. You are more likely to reach this "100x euphoria" by just abstaining from meth for 1 year and then trying meth again.

This is a pointless question to ask. The number is arbitrarily high.

No idea.

If you count each length hydrocarbon chain as a unique chemical, theoretically you could have an infinite number of chemicals just from hydrogen and carbon.

No idea

Probably, would probably just kill you pretty quick.

drugs are bad, mkay!

for real though. we know how many elements there are. we know that elements won't bind with every element, which should leave us able to determine the number of total molecules. ..would we be able to determine the effects of consuming such molecules without literally feeding them to willing junkies? that i don't know.

perhaps start a patreon for the research?

>What is organic chemistry

Carbon is able to form an infinite amount of bonds with itself permitting environment.

>100x as euphoric as meth

There's a *pretty* clear limit to how much the human body can take. Carfentanil is a good example, we can't use it because it's just too strong so you get to die from respiratory depression. Sufenta is, medically speaking, as high as you can go.

will that really cause different effects on humans, in drug development?

There are so many ways you can combine just a few of the more prominent organic chemistry atoms(C,N,O,S, all the halogens) that there is no way to predict with certainty the effect of a hypothetical but unsynthesized drug.

We are even capable of synthesizing proteins and enzymes, molecule chains with hundreds of carbons and other elements. And the way that they are arranged must be highly specific, down to chirality.

>down to chirality
This. It's pretty weird how all it takes is a simple enantiomer of Theanine to be not L-Theanine but the more scarce D-Theanine and now it has significantly different effects on many biological systems.

DNA is a chemical.

As long as your chemical can have added complexity, you can add more to it.

More chemicals can exist than our universe can produce atoms for.

>it's another self taught wikipedia chemists act like they know anything about science thread
o boy, what a surpise

Veeky Forums is full of 14 year olds, why are you expecting quality?

but there's only a finite number of atoms in the universe, so only a finite number of compositions can exist

Unknown, but given that there are only a finite number of elements and combinations, it's a finite number. But a very big finite number. (for 1 and 2)

Unknown, but given the very specific shape and charge needed for a drug to illicit that effect, probably very few in the grand scheme.

Unlikely that it would go that high. Most of the time a drugs effect is based primarily on how active it is and that activity comes, with it, side effects. Worse bodily damage, worse withdrawl symptoms ect. Meth is already extremely harmful. 100x that would probably kill you.

>better than meth
I love science :::DDDDD

Where did you get the idea the universe has finite matter? The local universe, yeah. Not the universe.

If there was infinite matter, there'd be no space, and we'd be having this conversation from inside an infinite singularity.

How many new organic chemicals are we synthesizing each year? I recall it being a fuck ton but I'm not sure about the exact figure. It's really exciting

Look into natural products isolation to get a good idea of the amount of complexity possible just from nature alone.

Speaking of carbon chains here is an article describing compounds with the longest carbon skeleton chains found to date.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tcr.200900030/pdf

Fuck that picture. Everyone uses the top from journal articles to presentations. You can show mechanisms and certain aspects of reactivity better with the top version.

I only use it when I'm lazy or rushing in a test desu

There are probably many drugs that are a lot more euphoric than meth. The reason why meth is so pleasurable is because it stops the re-uptake of dopamine, leading to a massive buildup of dopamine in the brain. And this is just a side effect of meth. I imagine a super drug would be something that works on the dopamine receptors in a similar manor to how SSRI's work. Essentially this drug would increase your brains dopamine production. It could get to the point of your brain being in a permanent state of dopamine surge, to the point of blissful disability. Hedonism at its finest.

>If you count each length hydrocarbon chain as a unique chemical,
OP here, I don't

Infinite matter does not imply space is infinitely dense with matter. Use your brain.

that picture triggers me

> increase exponentially
fuck you

a machine does not have a sense of esteem

I don't know the answer to the definite answer to these questions. Nobody does. All we know if there are a finite amount of chemicals. There is something that is more euphoric than meth though. It's when you realize there is no deity and your intelligence is all you need. I wouldn't combine that with meth. The euphoria is already too intense.

Sorry. I know my English isn't well. I'm from Bangladesh.

top kekule'

Isn't it theoretically possible to have a hydrocarbon chain as long as there are enough carbon and hydrogen atoms to keep adding on?

Also, we have estimates of the total number of atoms in the universe. With that number, you can calculate the possible number of two atom molecules, three atom, 4...(number of atoms in universe). The diatomic one will be the largest possible, but pretty high since not all can combine with each other and there are a significant number of compounds with more than two.

Should have read thread...but the first question I'd really a pretty simple combinatronics problem that's annoying because of the magnitude of the numbers involved. We also have estimates of the occurrence rates of many elements which can be used to refine results. With some programming one could also eliminate impossible groupings.

More detailed than that and you're talking real work though.

how can it be only likely that there are a finite amount of existing chemicals, but nearly certain that a finite can potentially exist?

At the very least, because after a certain point the molecules will be so large that they can't fit in your head.

Dunno how isomers would affect this though

Stoner pls go

There are as many chemicals as you can think of :D

A lot. Infinite. A lot. Anything is possible.