Anyone up for a Plato reading group?

Anyone up for a Plato reading group?

I can make a chat group on Slack then we can move through his works using the translations in the book Complete Works of Plato as reference. Order of texts will be decided once we get enough members. Ideally we could move to Aristotle after him then other Greeks.

If interest is enough, I'll start sending invites.

>inb4 muh forms

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/channels/185929145807536128/185929145807536128
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm interested

Me too, I never participated in one of those so how does the schedule works?

haven't we done this before

are you that guy from st johns?

I'm definitely interested, I've read some of the essential dialogues and am currently halfway through republic, I probably wouldn't reread entirely but would be able to contribute to discussion throught.

I actually haven't read Plato before and was getting around to ordering that book. Should I read it myself or join this group discussion?

I am interested. Copped that Cooper recently and if I can engage with something online it helps me learn.

Read a few for Philosophy 101 a long time ago, been wanting to revisit. I try to avoid making new internet accounts if I can help it, but here we are.

Read in the original Greek if you can. You can't imagine how much the nuances in translation affect the work.

Started working through the Cooper text last summer, took a break about 1/4 of the way in when I realized I wasn't quite ready for it. Spent about 8 months reading other ancient world shit, hit Plato again, and read in Cooper's order through Republic (~p1200/1700). I'm not sure how much, if anything, I'd re-read, and the only big texts I have left are Timaeus, Critias, and Laws, but I'd love to be involved in discussions for group readings.

PS Also have the complete Aristotle lined up. Would love to get to that afterwards (maybe with a Cambridge Companion guide?), but I may read Xenophon's Socratic dialogues first.

Definitey interested. I've been watching videos and listening to podcasts to get a generic idea of his works and i was just getting ready to actually start reading them.

A lot of people seem to be interested. Post your emails and I'll send invites. Use a dummy one if you dont trust some user from an Italian Lasagna-Making Forum.

I would honestly love to learn Ancient Greek. Any resources?

Cambridge Companions would be great but I think it would be best if we used it while reading the texts.

Probably a different user.

Also, I'll probably post this to Veeky Forums later.

Not OP but that's my constant worry while reading these translated works

plato isn't sophocles, stop baiting.

[email protected]

>Any resources?

cambridge university press reading greek, indenpendent study, liddell and scott dictionaries, perseus project for originals and a shitton of free time, willpower and stubbornness.

>Post your emails and I'll send invites.

[email protected]

discordapp.com/channels/185929145807536128/185929145807536128

will chat with you cute boys. maybe we can read some symposium together :3

[email protected]
I know more about Plato than your babysitter.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Yeah I meant reading a Cambridge Companion alongside Aristotle, who is apparently far less accessible than Plato for reading without some help on the side.

[email protected]

so what, do i have to shell out $70 for the complete works or is there a poverty edition like pic related so i can participate

Jowett translation isn't that great. Just pirate it desu

>2016
>Unironically reading a bore

[email protected]

[email protected]

I don't guarantee I will participate a lot since I'm reading him from a different source (spanish translations), but I'm interested in reading other appretiations.
[email protected]
>inb4 spic

Different user than who you're responding to, but the fact that it's Plato is *precisely* the problem you wouldn't believe how bad most translations are of an author whose fame was related to asking nitpicky and seemingly pedantic questions about the meanings of words and their relations to phenomena; lots of up until pretty recently would just translate his terms into modern concepts, where the clear problem is that he wasn't dealing with modern concepts.

[email protected]

[email protected]