It's my grandmother's 80th birthday on Sunday and we've bought her a kindle...

It's my grandmother's 80th birthday on Sunday and we've bought her a kindle. My mother's tasked me to download ebooks for her.

So far I've downloaded some Catherine Cookson novels and Dubliners (because she grew up in Ireland). Can Veeky Forums reccomend oldladycore books? I'm looking for historic romance novels, but nothing too seedy. She's the kind of women that watches mass on the telly. I've heard she found Émile Zola distasteful.

Georgette Heyer if she has a sense of humour. The Brontes if she doesn't.

>watches mass on the telly
The God Delusion

I would steer clear of anything involving Ireland just because those kinds of old people can take "Ireland is truly marvellous and lovely" the wrong way.

The only old lady books I can think of are Danielle Steele but that is obviously inappropriate as hell. Get her a nice murder mystery or something.

Why don't you ask your grandma what she likes?

To be perfectly honest, she terrifies me. She's basically blind, her voice is abnormally deep and raspy, she never stops shaking, she reeks of ovaltine and piss, and she always calls me Henry.

There's nobody in our family called Henry.

agatha christie, james patterson, shit like that

Ms. Dalloway

>not having a doting nana
I pity you

Revolutionary road, uh force of circumstance pt. 1

Cool, my grandma had her 80th birthday today. My cousin had a son recently so she's actually a great-grandmother.
If your granny has taste similar to mine (ie, my grandma's), I'd recommend Dumas, Tolstoy and Walter Scott (Ivanhoe).

>She's basically blind
How is she going to read the books?

not OP, but
>Dumas, Tolstoy and Walter Scott

If his grandma is anything like mine was, all she does is watch price is right and daytime TV dramas.
Must be nice having an interesting grandma

Yeah, I don't want to overload my dear old nana with antiquated classics. We come from a working class family.

Some Walter Scott might be alright, but even I find him boring to be honest.

>We come from a working class family.
Serious implications there bud.

If you want to say something, say it, KIDDO

She's not that interesting, desu. She actually does just watch tv now, after she has had a mild stroke, but she likes to read a book here and there.

We're a working class family as well, granparents worked in a bus factory, iirc. Grandma simply enjoys that sort of books as love/adventure stories, not as some serious sophisticated lit. Stuff like that was read for fun in her youth.

Okay dokey.

My mum said I shouldn't bore here. I offered to DL some classics, but she said no.
Fuck it. I'll just throw in the hard stuff.

That's what I thought, pal.

Theodor Fontane

who is the semen demon

>That's what I thought, pal.
You thought okay dokey?

Is this a spoopy mind reading thread?

I'm pretty sure it's Jimmy Carr or user's nana

The Stranger

Giver her some nietzsche aswell

>Some Walter Scott might be alright, but even I find him boring to be honest.

ivanhoe/white company it's basically ya lit of adventurous kind

p.s. i formulated it awkwardly, white company isn't scott's, it's just a similar book, both of them are better than the black arrow imo

Kek'd at the final two sentences. V nice

Anyway, my meemaw loves Mary Higgins Clark.

fucking middlemarch. anthony trollope as well. thomas hardy. somerset maugham. bronte sisters, obvs austen, maybe some balzac?

Well, I would suggest Infinite Jest, Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, The Recognitions, 2666, and Women and Men.

unless granny's a pleb, then i'd suggest The Book Thief, Gone With The Wind, The Da Vinci Code, The Alchemist, Life of Pi, The Pillars of The Earth, Sherlock Holmes, Eat Pray Love, Marley and Me, The Awakening, and the left behind series.