On Lolita

So what does Veeky Forums think? We already know what reddit thinks.

Veeky Forums loves it for its descriptions being so vivid and lustful

It was a fun book overall, but some of the parts where he's describing them driving all over the country drag and feel like laundry lists.

They aren't vivid and lustful. They're extremely subtle. There's nothing overly obscene. What the fuck are they talking about.

It's overrated. The language is artificial and lifeless estheticism. Nabokov was right when he referred to his English as pedestrian in comparison to Joyce's.

>The language is artificial and lifeless estheticism.
Oh so that's a fact? It's weird, because I really like it. I must be wrong and a pleb.

God damn, I'm just not good enough to enjoy art!

It's an opinion, user. Learn to live with them.

That's what I was getting at.

Not graphic enough to jack off to it. Shit read 0/10

>film and video games keep having political correctness damage them
>mfw the best literature will always be the best literature and even an attempt at censoring will be met with ridicule

Re-read the scene on the couch with Charlotte one room over

stopped reading it when i found out they dont bang.

keep resisting cultural marxism, brethren!

You may want to reread it.

We

were

cultural warriors

and such and so on

I found out recently about Samuel Pepys' Little Miss Tooker, and the parallels between Humbert writing about his pedophilia and Pepys' are quite striking.

The style is ugly, and the subject is try-hard edgy (which could be amusing if the style weren't so tacky).

I agree with .

>and the subject is try-hard edgy
I see your opinion is worth something.

Yes, it is worth something. A good subject must not focus on anomalies. Read Isidore Ducasse's Poésies on this matter.

> read this one thing I think happens to agree with me
Such intellectual, so culture

As Isidore Ducasse became famous not for his Poésies, but for Maldoror who's pretty much focused on anomalies, his stance is interesting.

Read it because it can enrich your opinion and modify your taste, not because it's authoritative or because it "agrees with me".

>Read it because it can enrich your opinion and modify your taste, not because it's authoritative or because it "agrees with me".
I'll bear the advice of Mr "try hard edgy" in mind for sure.

your rebuttal is in the form of a doge meme you lose go back from whence you came

I'll expand on .

If Nabokov's style is artificial, it may be because English is not his native tongue.

Good writers who write in another language often tend to try too hard. Due to their superior intelligence, they can't help playing the virtuoso with their new language--and here's the flaw.

Cioran has the same default in French. His verbal firework is the offspring of some crippling struggle with the language; and his apparent ease, while very impressive at first, leaves you with a fake and artificial taste (notably: it is always afraid to be flat or incorrect, while a native author will embrace and exploit flatness and incorrectness). It is a stiff, synthetic product, it doesn't come from the soil.

The style of Nabokov shines, but it doesn't breathe.

Stop trying to win an Internet argument, cretin. It is prodigiously useless, even for you.

>English is not his native tongue
this isn't even true. rewrite your metaphors

I've started and stopped Lolita more times than I can count. not bc it's offensive or lewd or w/e (it's not,) but bc Nabokov's prose is just SO obnoxious...I honesty don't get the hype. it's borderline unreadable.

>another lolita thread
babby's first taste of real lit

this is bait

In my experience everytime there's a Lolita thread, someone hints at dating a 13 year old, and it doesn't seem like trolling to me.

Pedophiles should be shot
PS: I know technically 13 years old is not pedophilia, but fucking a 13 year old is still digusting

I want these people to read the first chapter of Hogg or the deflowering scene in Painted Bird

>He doesn't want to fuck 13-year-olds
normalfags pls go

This post makes me remember when I was 17 and fooled around with a 14 year old.

It was glorious. We met in the woods after a hot AIM chat, and she let me rub her muff and suck her tits.

Triggered
Was it that girls your age didn't like you?

>tfw youngest I had was a baby-faced 16 year old

Please end me.

In any case, that isn't the problem. When you are near a close enough age and you aren't just doing it because the girls your age think you are a loser, it's just a bit of teenage sex.

But I'm talking about grown adult men far older and removed from childhood wanting to fuck 13 year olds.

age barriers are to a very large extent artificial and a product of the contemporary culture; it's the same as for any other idea about the sexual norm, the current pedo laws are (at least partially) pretty much like the buggery laws back then, when it was legal to marry a 14 y.o. person it was not legal to have a homosexual intercourse... sometimes both of those things were legal like in the ancient greece

it becomes even more weird when people with few years of age difference can be considered as a pedophile and their victim by the law because the line for the age of consent is drawn pretty arbitrary and in some countries way too strict (imo for the current culture it should be at least 16 y.o., when it's placed older they ask for problems)

I quite enjoyed it. Nabokov is great. His writing is a vibrant and technicolor fever dream. HH isn't meant to be a likable character. The book is still compelling and HH is not uninteresting

You might wanna try again and pay attention this time buddy.

Can you stop talking to him like he doesn't have downs?

Why does this picture make me violently angry?

Is it those girls' pig faces and stupid smug looks on their empty faces? Is it that faggot behind them smirking at me like he's hot shit?

I wanna die.

I see your point, but it's still not his mother tongue.

Nabokov learnt Russian first (the actual spoken language, reading isn't as important), and wrote literature in Russian first.

Hard to explain otherwise this strange case of great verbal intelligence married with dubious taste, which produces these half-admirable, half-despicable sentences.

Go deeper than just saying "it's a product of the contemporary culture".

>he thinks therrs a discernable difference between Veeky Forums and reddit

I have no love lost for reddit either but I hate to see Veeky Forums fall to this /v/-tier scapegoating. It's a stupid way to behave by doing the exact opposite of some other group.

I never did finish reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I found it to be such a slog though.