What is the evolutionary advantage of listening to music?

What is the evolutionary advantage of listening to music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dGrN6PeIiOU?t=7m50s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what is the evolutionary advantage of not listening to music

/thread

There isn't an inherent advantage.
Our enjoyment of music is, however, a consequence of our brains ability to detect patterns, which is evolutionarily advantageous.

who and where is that ?
is that when music peaked ?
>tfw when talkinh about music on Veeky Forums because /mu/ is just so very horrible....

also patterns. higher dimensional patterns

Metallica in '89 when they truly peaked

Pick the right song at the right moment and get laid

>evolutionary advantage
Really wish you guys would stop abusing phrase.

What evolutionary advantage does wearing shirts with company logos on them?

Signaling your tribal affiliation.

He said company logos. It signals you like to take it get buttfucked

Like I said, tribal affiliation.

Not all behaviors emited by an organisme have adaptive purpose on an phylogenetic level. I think that lisenting to music should be seen in an ontogenetic or a cultural level.

Point taken.

I recently read a study that said no matter where you're from and what kind of music you've learned to listen, you can always enjoy it. Pleasurable experiences are always the same, ie. dopamine secretion, etc.

I would wager to guess that propensity for enjoying music is at an ontogenetic level, while the type of music that you learn to enjoy is at a cultural level.

For me it lets me clear out background thoughts.

i.e. When I'm studying or working, music helps keep me focused.

Music is play for our auditory and speech systems. It helps develop auditory awareness.

Well the statement that ...
"no matter where you're from and what kind of music you've learned to listen, you can always enjoy it"..

is obviously not true because enjoying something must be seen in a context. If one individual have been exsposed to a song and later avoid the same circumstances when the music was been played, we can conclude that the individual didnt like the song. And the oppossed, if noe individual is " searching" for the music then we can conclude that it enjoys it.
A lot of people dont "seek" for some type of music and therfore not all humans enjoy music.
But btw whats the same of the paper?

Is that a fine example of Engrish?

Name of the paper*

>A lot of people dont "seek" for some type of music and therfore not all humans enjoy music.
The point is that it doesn't matter what type of music you listen to, you do enjoy the type that you prefer listening to, same way other person similarly enjoy music, even though he's listening to another type of music.

Shit, I think I mumbled this up as well, I should really go to sleep, it's late. Anyways, I don't remember the study, I read it a few months back. I'm sure you could find it if you're interested, and your googlefu is strong enough.

/actual thread

Wat?
i think you misunderstood. the phylogenetic traits are traits passed on by generations withing a specie, ontogenetic is traits that one individual learns in its lifetime and cultural level is when a trait that involves more that 2 individuals, that passes on to the next generation of members in the culture.
I argue that music should be looked at on a ontogenetic level, because not all people like music. therfor prefereance for music must be something that one individual acquires in its lifetime.

Music is a bonding experience and helps people destress. It's like masturbating for the ears.

by having an emotional effect with large masses of people at a time, which obviously has its benefits. You can somewhat control large masses of people this way.

For example, in the movie Titanic, the Quartet was given an order to play happy and cheerful music to lower the chances of people becoming fearful when the ship was sinking.

You can immediately start a mosh pit when the right music comes up at the right music festival.

I'm pretty sure there are other examples; the ability to control large masses of people with just music is fucking awesome. I always imagine each person as a neuron in a big brain with the music being the neurotransmitters.

I read in some evolution thesis that it was the vibrations, these filter down toxic heavy metals from the brain into the stem where they are flushed away by spinal fluid. In fact it ties into the Neanderthal handicap, since they had such thick skulls it was theorized they couldn't probably filter pollution from their brain and more or less died out from stupidity.

Red Queen theorizes that the brain itself turned into an ornament like a peacock tail a couple million years ago kicking off the growth to present size which is slowing because if the female cervix was any larger she couldn't even walk - thus dying out...I like gaps myself but I guess an ape needs to know her limitations!

To warn the fitter not to approach pozholes.

Jokes on you, I only listen to harsh noise, aka, science in its final form, aka, nature in its purest form.

youtu.be/dGrN6PeIiOU?t=7m50s

Embedded link doesn't seem to work for me, go to 7:50.