Hello Veeky Forums. What is the required reading in order to fully appreciate and understand Metamorphoses...

Hello Veeky Forums. What is the required reading in order to fully appreciate and understand Metamorphoses? I am worried I may not have long to enjoy it, your kind consideration is most appreciated.

Read the things that treat the myths in it, like the Iliad.

Thank you for your quick response. I currently own an unread copy I've been delaying to engage in.

Metamorphoses is the genesis of all Western literature, along with The Bible.
Read both of those and you'll be pretty much good to tackle anything up through the 1800's.

>I am worried I may not have long to enjoy it
Are you gonna kill yourself or something?

Thank you.
Would I throw away my existence? It is all that I can hope to attain; everything I may experience can only be done so in this life. Until someone can convince me otherwise, there is no such existence beyond death. I hope you cherish your life, user.

Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, as far as I know (plus, obviously, knowledge of classical mythology). I haven't read it either, so take this with a grain of salt I guess.

it does seem to go backwards, but i would read it as intended and re-read accordingly.
just know that phoebus and apollo are one in the same, so are zeus and jupiter and jove, so are pluto and vulcan

just read it man, I remember reading it when I was 14 and it was very enjoyable.

Pluto is Hades, Vulcan is Hephaestus.

love that name, Metamorphoses

what's your native language, OP?

get the golding translation you fucking MORON

i have Innes translation, did i fuck up?

GOLDING OR LATIN those are your options

Hesiod, Homeros, Virgil and you are set mate, it is not really demanding. Know the names of important gods, have a general idea of what they do and then it is just a fable compilation.

I have the Mandelbaum translation. How much did I fuck up?

lel you're probably fine homey XD

you can hunt Golding down online, though

You didn't answer that user's question.

Mandelbaum is undoubtedly the best.

What's a good translation of Hesiod's work?

I read the Hackett published one. It was good.

Melville

Good notes and a decent translation. From what I know, Humphries is decent but it contains omissions so take that for what its worth

Its prose, so if you wanted good poetry then yeah you fucked up
Mandelbaum is probably my second favorite, behind Melville. Translation itself is just as good or better, but its more expensive, no notes, and the stories aren't indexed.
Golding is so inaccurate that its no longer Ovid

is the Histories worth a shit?

if you want accuracy then you just have to read it in Latin. if you don't feel like putting in the effort, then Golding is the way to go bc it's significant af in it's own right.

its*

Golding is the furthest by far of all the translators from the thought/style of Ovid. Thats what I meant. Read Golding for Golding, but don't read it if you want Ovid. But yeah Latin is obviously the best but isn't an option for everyone.