Bookshelf thread

How does Veeky Forums organise their bookshelves? Publisher, author, genre, chronologically? What do you believe is the superior method?

Also, post your bookshelves.

I sort by country of author's birth, then author's birth year. Non-fiction's got its own shelf, not as much order to it, just generally flows from topic to topic.

Last name > chronological order of release > oldest edition

Pic related is my mess

I use the Dewey decimal system for non fiction, and for fiction I have three groups: "give-away" in a crate, "to-read" on a shelf organized in order I want to read them, and "read" in no particular order but try to make them fit most efficiently. Not home so no pic

bookshelf?

How much non-fiction do you have? I want to go Dewey, but it feels a little useless when I've only got ~150 nonfiction books.

and here's mine, wanted to take some new pictures

nice

this tbqh famalamadingdong

how long have to you been buying books?

I don't even know own if you can read the titles. this is off my phone. one of my shelves. the most recent one.

Around six years. This pic is about all the books I owned six years ago.

my second shelf. when I started to get out of genre fiction as a teen.

Where at in your house is that? Looks like a really convenient mantle set-up.

I like your taste, too.

that's in the living room of my apartment.

nice view of a brick wall

Well shit, that's a sad view. I was thinking it was something like this pic, a shelf-above-the-wall kind of thing.

I've read that Mass Effect book. The last chapters are the funniest blunder I've ever seen. Think The Persian Letters but from the point of view of an author who realized his OCs wouldn't appear in the actual game anyway.

that's convenient. I need a bigger bookshelf. no room left.

lol my dad gave me that as an Xmas present because he saw me pay the game.

[Spoiler] Read it tho, it's pretty good. [/Spoiler]

I did like 8 years ago

that is the most ramshackle bookcase i have ever seen

>visit user's house
>look at books
>oh hey the petroleum engineering handbook, that looks interesting
>bookalanche ensues

Seriously OP why aren't the boards even screwed together all the way?

Post cat picture.

here

I love them, user

this is my tiniest bookcase

awwww kitties

Like this:
>Location (in time, and geography)
>Genre
>Date published
>Author
>Publisher

For example, one of shelves is Ancient Greece. Separated into Epics, Poems, Plays, Philosophy, and History, and then organized by release date. So Homer is first.

For more contemporary works, I group by author before date published.

>tfw you're an autistic accountant
>tfw I get more pleasure from viewing my perfectly sorted shelf than actually reading
>tfw nothing gives me greater anxiety than buying a new book whose location I am unsure of

>oh hey the petroleum engineering handbook, that looks interesting
All of my friends are normalfags so I don't think such words will ever be uttered
Well, this bookcase was here when I moved in. I am a student so it seemed worth it to make do rather than buy a new one.

nice kittehs

I've seen you in a lot of shelves thread recently, what would you recommend for a person that is just starting to read books in english language? I'm a portuguese native speaker, btw

I'd think Hemingway and Steinbeck would both be good for early reading. They both have great short stories and novellas to choose from too, if you don't want to go ahead with long works.

Mein meager bookshelf

Am I autistic by organizing my books this way?

Also I haven't read a book since high school please don't make fun of me

It doesn't really matter much how you organize them when you've only got a dozen.

:3

my sister just got a kitten does anyone want to see it

I go
Music
Music
Ancient Languages and Amiibos
Music

kys

I-I'm gonna have a cat right now.

^ jelly of the zaibatsu

OF COURSE WE WANT TO SEE IT

aww, is that nigger-man?

bookshelf bump

you'll someday realize that you're a piece of shit

>Mongolian Folk Tales with the papercut illustrations
Shit is pure class

Have you added anything new to it recently?

Most recently I read the Nibelungenlied and Invisible Cities.

Fiction section arranged chronologically, then stacks in various half assed sections like social science and bourgeois history and travelogues/art history

>Manga: The Complete Guide

I was extremely into manga when I was a teenager. Had more than 700 volumes in high school, which I steadily sold off during college. Only have ~100 now (they go in the bedroom, not out on display).

Nope, I do the same thing. It's part of the not wanting your room to look like shit aesthetic

What's going on with your copy of Bleeding Edge, where's all the shiny?

Holy hell that picture confused me for an embarrassingly long amount of time, I think my brain is broken.

Just what I have with me in grad school, minus what's in my office. I don't usually post in these threads so this is your chance to call me names.

What do you study?

Math, but most of those books are in my office because I actually use them.

I did an astrophysics undergrad too, though, which is why some of that stuff is there. I didn't know if I'd need it here so I brought it just in case.

I organize my bookcase by which book fits on which shelf. What I don't have room for anymore goes into the ever growing stack in my closet. That's pretty much it. I think I started off trying to group books with similar genres or authors, but that fell by the wayside a while ago.

WHERE IS THE CAT ASSHOLE? I'M WAITING FOR YOUR FUCKING KITTEN!!!

By that he means he's a pseud.

how's Satin Island? I read Remainder for a Contemporary Lit course and didn't quite enjoy it but felt like I ought to check out more from the author.

I loved Remainder but Satin Island didn't do much for me. It was sort of bland. A couple of interesting ideas, but not enough to sustain a full novel in my opinion. If you really like cultural theory you might like it, though.

Sorry boys, I was at work

And i forgot to post the
Picture

I don't like these books

you suck

NHAWWWW

it looks like you haven't read any of those

Sorry man

Good old used bookstores

Not a bookshelf. Hang from a tree.

this looks eerily familiar to an apartment i almost took in montreal

you're not in montreal, are you?

OMG SO CUTE I CAN'T BREATHE

you probably won't be needing that book any more user

there ya go, i saved you a bit of shelf space

Genre, but I'm not a very organized person and my bookshelves are usually all messed up. I like them better that way though.

Well spotted, feels good mate. Feels good.

>stickers

my mom/10

Hmmm... by genre mostly. I also have a sort of "to read"-shelf if you will.

>2016
>being an amazombie

kys cuck

Cool Faulkner. Just don't forget about Absalom, Absalom!

I did a reorganization a few months ago of the literal top-shelf stuff to accomodate space issues.

There are 4 identical shelves, each five bays, or bins, high. The obvious considerations are to keep like material together, and also to store books in a logical manner that befits long-terms storage - bigger, heavier books belong at the bottom of the shelf for practical and safety reasons. Art books, thick textbooks, things like that.

One shelf stands apart from the other three due to space issues.

There is a built-in shelf in the apartment for overflow, which is currently also at capacity.

It goes like this right now:

Basic religious texts and the occult - Philosophy - Philosophy, history

History - History, fiction - fiction

Fiction - fiction, science - science, math

Math/Sci textbooks - Math Textbooks (multiple library books sitting in the little free space left here atm) - Language

Art books - Art/Design books - Animu art books

The other fourth shelf from top to bottom is basically a filing-cabinet's worth of old animu and video game magazines that I refuse to get rid of. There's also some children's books, several having some Veeky Forums merit at the bottom. Humor and a stack of old MADs are here.

The overflow is Mango TPs that I also refuse to get rid of, but frankly they're not as important to me anymore.

Alphabetical by last name, earliest works to latest for each author.

Among the most interesting shelves I've seen on lit, largely but by no means entirely based on the fact that you have more Greek works than most. I totally hate Library of America books and their bible paper, but as much as I hate those I love the NYRBs. Have you read Anatomy of Melancholy yet? I've never seen it on anyone's shelf, let alone talked to someone who's read it. Ever since I heard about it on Veeky Forums months ago and looked into it a bit further, it's turned into one of those books that haunts me and teases me to read it; I just don't think I'm ready yet.

My favorite used bookstore has 40ish Loebs at any given time, and right now there are maybe a dozen I'd love to pick up, but every fucking one of them has a "NEW TRANSLATION!" sticker on the hilariously fragile dust jacket.

in this case, a picture is worth a thousand words, user

Same. For me it feels it's the best way to find something quickly and keep it look organized, but I still dislike when different formats or sizes interfere with each other.

Library of America is fucking great, isn't it?

I wish there was something similar for English literature.

nice Women & Men

>children's toys
Also, get a fucking taste you loser.

1/2

Organized alphabetically by author

2/2

by size, ese