Is consciousness ultimately separate from and independent of the brain or is just an inherent byproduct of the...

is consciousness ultimately separate from and independent of the brain or is just an inherent byproduct of the amalgamation of our most common thought patterns?

Consciousness is a quantum mechanical phenomenon.

>Consciousness
It's just a manifestation of your physical neurology, there's nothing to else to it.

>there's nothing to else to it.
Denialist pls go.

Not an argument.

It wasn't supposed to be an argument, there's no evidence proving it otherwise. It should be common sense.

>there's no evidence proving it otherwise
Nice fallacy.

Not an argument.

Is this you samefagging or something? What fallacy is that?

Not at argument.

>Not an argument.
Neither is
>there's nothing to else to it.

Please,
N O T A N A R G U M E N T

Define consciousness precisely. That would be a good start. Without that, this thread is heading the way of the retard convention quickly. But maybe that's where you want it to go...

Consciousness: the ability to collapse quantum mechanical wave functions

So measurement devices that collapse wave functions are conscious? Good to know. Like I said, full speed ahead to the retard convention.

Only human observers can collapse wave functions. Maybe you should learn QM beyond dumb pop sci youtube videos.

Only lolis can collapse the wavefunction.

a person's awareness or perception of something, the state of being aware of and responsive to one's surroundings,consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself?

So no wave functions collapsed in the entire universe until about 200,000 years ago when humans showed up. Good to know. Godspeed on your journey to the retard convention, user. I may be joining you if I have to read more of your posts. Say hi to Deepak Chopra and all the other pseudoscientific hacks when you get there.

Are animals conscious? Or is consciousness reserved solely for humans? Why or why not?

This is Veeky Forums's "everyday until you like it".

>Say hi to Deepak Chopra
I prefer to say hi to Eugene Wigner, John von Neumann and Roger Penrose. Since you're a pop sci youtube kid, you probably never heard those names. Ask your mom to google them ... or don't, and stay ignorant.

Animals didn't evolve to be conscious. They operate on a much lower level. Their brains are not as complex as ours.

All mammals have claustrums and are likely "conscious" strictly by our present understanding.

Consciousness is not well understood. Tiny machine butterflies and ants might well be conscious.

Fuck off you goofy child.

>claustrums
So you're adhering to some outdated belief that consciousness resides in a distinct area of the brain? Why not directly talk about obsolete pineal gland theories? You must have missed 200 years of science, Descartes.

No. I'm telling you that there exist specific anatomical features that if disrupted cause an immediate loss of consciousness. Most mammals have very similar brains anatomically, and they also have this structure, be it a bridging, filter, or whatever else.

All mammals possess some level of consciousness,but not nearly as developed as it is among Humans.Though,with enough interaction with humans,animals will become capable of mimicking human decisions and understanding their intentions(not just by hearing the tone of their voice,but by making primitive pseudo assumptions of what to do next).

>that if disrupted cause an immediate loss of consciousness
If I stab your heart, you'll lose consciousness as well. Guess that means consciousness resides in the heart... Could you please learn a little bit of abstract reasoning and critical thinking before you continue to embarrass yourself?

Go home Aristotle, you're a drunken mess.

CAUSATION DOES NOT IMPLY CORRELATION

ARE U EVEN TRYING?

KEK

> im mad
then stab yourself in the heart. let's see how correlated your heart is to your consciousness ;)

;^D

(Although, for what it's worth I do agree with you in a broader sense. The sun could also be argued to be a component sustaining your consciousness, just as it could be viewed as an organ of your body. I'm just saying your argument is moronic backpedaling that ignores everything we know about bodily function. Yes, adipose cells create leptin and estrogen, which then affects your consciousness. Does this mean the adipose is at all relevant to generating consciousness? No. Because that would be moronic.)

Are infants conscious? If not, how does consciousness develop? Would an abandoned child with no human interaction develop consciousness?

>consciousness

better question,when does the child become aware of his consciousness?

What's up Dennett?