Undergrad here who got grant funding to start my own lab

Undergrad here who got grant funding to start my own lab.

Is it pompous of me to name it after myself? I already did, but just wondering your thoughts.

Other urls found in this thread:

superconductors.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Nigeria
nardonecenter.org/
linkedin.com/in/josephnardone
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

0/10 hook not even baited

Yes. Very.

Why? All of the other labs are named after their directors.

You actually have a lab as an undergrad?

Yeah it took a lot of work to get the funding and it is small though. But I get my own key and my name is on the door.

What sort of things are you planning to do in your lab?

I do ceramics and materials research.

> ceramics
> a lab dedicated to pottery

Might as well call it the Home Depot Ceramics Lab (TM)

god damnit OP

should have named it the fedora lab of tipping shitposts

Which meme school do you go to?

Tell us all the story of how you landed your grant

I got some funding through my department, and some other funding by a city outreach group that funds science projects.

Its advanced ceramics like superconductors, not art projects.

Its not a "meme" school, I don't know what that really means. It is not as good as MIT or the Ivy's but it is very prestigious and the name is recognized in any country. My school has great ROI and I received an okay scholarship.

We know you make bongs in there faggot

What is your funding mechanism?

What do you mean? I got two grants, they don't expect me to do anything really. One grant says I have to attempt to outreach to undeserved schools so I am thinking I will give tours. Show them that even a retard like me can make it in science if you write enough proposals.

He means that his faculty agreed to give him a janitor's closet as an office, as he begged the dean for months.

>undergrad here

post disregarded and reported

underrated post

Answer the question, which school are you going to?

>my mom gavve me money so i can be a distillation set

And exactly how do you think that this news is thread worthy?

Not OP, but the sour grapes on this board is getting fucking ridiculous. I posted my research here about a month ago and I was inundated with incoherent angry children telling me that I was a fraud and didn't know what I was doing. Seriously, unless you have something to contribute, consider drinking some sodium hydroxide. Getting mad at people who accomplish things isn't going to make you any less of a failure.

It's a little pompous, but if you add a twist such as "user's closet" its cool.

That's because your research was bullshit, and Veeky Forums isn't any more critical than academia.

why is everyone so pissed

Sup chemshit, any updates?

aren't you a creative sunflower, thank god research grants end up with people like you

Well I shouldn't have even asked. I only asked because some PhD whos project failed said I was an asshole and that my grant was too small to make any difference.

I am glad I got my research grant and got to navigate academia. It made me realize how many sore losers and autists populate the field. I will be graduating and going into industry now that I realize what it is like.

And to all the people being dicks I would have given advice or reviewed peoples grants if anyone asked, but instead everyone was negative. People will probably say, "Haha faggot you don't know shit about proposal writing" like the last time I started a thread to try to help people.

Amateur research is dead, and academia is toxic.

Chill OP you faggot.

>some PhD whos project failed said I was an asshole

Take a hint dipshit

Stop lying you piece of shit. If you really did something valuable, you wouldn't be posting shit on Veeky Forums.

You probably just got a small desk in a larger lab and a small supportive grant for master's thesis. And now you're like "I OWN A LAB! MY SKILLS ARE VALUABLE! I*M IMPORTANT!"

By the way, you won't get a job in industry, they can easily spot a false resume. They'll probably notice your autistic demeanor from miles away, too.

>advanced ceramics like superconductors

You gonna try copying this guy?

superconductors.org/

if you cared about research you would be DOING research and asking for funding depending on what you need, not the other way around

shut the fuck up
you're an idiotic freshman dropout who doesn't know shit, and you didn't post any research, you posted 5 minutes of fucking around with numbers trying to make them fit some info
you're the worst poster in Veeky Forums and it's amazing how much you shit this board up daily

I haven't done anything valuable yet. I am working on three papers. I have a room about 20'x20' to myself. I took the time to clean it to save money. I also went through all the steps of having inspections and EPA certifications.

I have already secured two internships in my field and I have plenty of letters from previous employers and professors who liked me.

My GPA is not that great, and I don't claim to be a scientist yet or claim to be a genius. In fact a lot of you would call me a brainlet.

That is what I did? What made you think otherwise? I needed a high temperature furnace and some alumina labware. I also needed chemicals, all of which I received funding for after writing proposals.

A bit, my website looks better though.That is an okay site if you are just browsing.

>I do ceramics
Ok, math major here.

You got a lab at your school to make pottery? What?

No, but my furnace could be used for them if you wanted to.

I make YBCO doped superconductors. I am working with doping and some new methods of producing superconductors. One of my grants was mostly because I showed that my method had patentability (sp) potential.

Still, which university? Is it in this list?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Nigeria

I am not going to say, my lab is on the university website and will reveal my name. I have revealed my name here before and people just fagged it up and trolled my linkedin, my email, and phone.

It is an east coast top 35 school, which has gone up recently. If you bother to figure it out, please don't post my name here.

did you draw the pic all by yourself too?

you should print it, show to your mom, and put it on the fridge for everyone to see

No I searched "Pepe as a scientist" on google images

>top 35 school
>ceramics

probably a shit tier arts college. new england institute of art

It is materials science research focused on ceramics. Have so many people really never realized there are other ceramics than pottery?

top kek

wow, quite pathetic how everyone here is too jelous to call op something other than a faggot, when probably most posters' biggest achievement is completing k12 on khan academy

Uh, I don't know where the fuck you are, but where I come from, labs are typically named after what they are doing IE Advanced Hypersonics and Combustion Lab or even better some cool acronym like MADlab.

Generally you don't name a lab after yourself unless you're as well known as George Goddamn Whitesides

So you're doing undergrad tier work then.
Oh wow. Outreach you gotta do work for. That sucks. Usually the way outreach typically works is you hire undergrads and they work for you.
>> east coast
That explains the lab directors naming labs after themselves
Shit man, you gotta make sure you get the IP, or the university will fuck you over.

This entire thread is hilarious

No I would say it is graduate level work.

I received an email from a PhD in Italy calling me a doctor and asking to work in my lab. I had to tell him the truth obviously.

The name of my lab does contain what I am doing in it. It just also includes my name.

IP at our school is always set at 60% to inventor 40% to school. There is no way to avoid this, and it is actually better than most universities. If you think preserving your IP entirely is possible then I would say you are incorrect.

>Generally you don't name a lab after yourself unless you're as well known as George Goddamn Whitesides

Well, we all now know about OP and his shitty lab and we are the only people that matter on the internet so that counts as being well known.

Make a plaque out of that and put it on your door. 'Well known by Veeky Forums'

its_time_to_stop_posting.png

Dont worry summer will be over before you know it

Now you're just making shit up.

oh wow

you should put it as the lab logo

Your arts professor must be so proud of you. How many clay pots have you made?

kill yourself plz

user design bureau
okb-911 for short

>Undergrad here
>got grant funding
>start my own lab.

0/8, not gr8 b8 m8.

"graduate level" "work"

I agree.

Is being excessively edgy a new ebin meme? Everything has turned into a massive shit-flinging contest on every board I look. What's going on?

You came on the internet.

No, I've been browsing this place for five years and I've never seen anything quite like this. Sure, there was shit before, but now you can't say anything without edgelords having an autistic meltdown.

It's to do with the increase in vaccination. :^D

>What's going on?
OP lied blatantlly, and gets a response he deserves.

post a pic of your lab or it didnt happen

if true, grats

but yeah, shitty name. well who knows, maybe I would do the same

I might have a picture, let me look through my phone.

I know I have a picture of the door with my brother outside.

Here is a picture of the plaque before I put it on the door with my brother.

I also have a picture of my brother and I in front of the other lab I had just a small desk in before I got my own space.

I can also post pictures of my experiments, but I really don't know how much else you need to believe me.

you've really inspired me man.

I'm going into comp sci this fall at the age of 28 as a first year.

This thread really inspired me because my goal is to do research and contribute something to the science of algorithms with my life.

Thanks op, gonna aim to be an undergrad research badass like yourself!!

That's one of the most amusing reverse image searches.

You can man, I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but I think you can do it if you try hard enough.

Veeky Forums will tell you that you can't do anything as an undergrad but you really can.

When I told my guidance counselor I needed to withdraw my applications from other schools cause I got accepted to my college she said "That is okay, not everyone is smart enough to go to university, you can always do a trade". Now I have come pretty far, so don't let naysayers in the world keep you down.

There are a lot of dickheads in academia though.

hehe thought I didn't check that first? I wanted to drop a little joke for anyone doxxing me.

You did a good job at scrubbing the exif data too, so, well done.

The old screenshot, MS paint, and screenshot again.

If you guys really want to talk to me other than to put me on blast and call me a faggot on the internet feel free to leave a burner email and we can talk about research, grant/proposal writing, or whatever.

>pure pottery

[email protected]

^ That's the throwaway email.

Bump.

>A bit, my website looks better though.That is an okay site if you are just browsing.

Are you kidding me?

That website is handcoded and has actual resources.

You made your website with squarespace and even then it only has two links and a contact form.

Let me clarify, that website is good for introductory superconductor topics. The papers I read are usually more specific than what is provided there.

You do not think my website looks better?

>30 years old, balding
>says he's undergrad who got funding
>posts shitty pepe memes
lol

30? Balding?

I am 21. Also my hair is just cut and combed, not balding at all. No one in my family is bald, I actually wish I had a widows peak.

The pepe thing is true.

Either way this thread is getting old and should probably die soon.

Widows peak isn't indicative of balding. Granted that a person with a widows peak who is balding will have a much more exaggerated widows peak at the baldness progresses.

I have a widows peak and will most likely not bald (my dad, both grandparents, and all uncles have full heads if hair despite being between 53-86).

Oh well damn. My mother's side has widows peak but my father's just has black/brown hair that doesn't grey.

I guess lucky but it is annoying having alot of hair. Have to cut quite frequently.

>named it after myself
... so when there is a calamity there
caused by some fuckup, people will
remember your name, not that of the
fuckup. You may want to re-think this.

lol

i support this name

The guy on right hand side is your professor, and you are the wimp on the left side.

You shouldn't have revealed part of your lab name.

Joseph Nardone
[email protected]
nardonecenter.org/
linkedin.com/in/josephnardone

you're missing your fedora

How would I prove anything if I blocked it out. Oh well, I guess I have been doxxed again.

If anyone wants advice writing grants or research proposals they can still email me.

Nice accomplishment though. Not many succeed to get their own lab up and running as undergrad.

I had planned a small electrophysiology + virtual reality lab as an undergrad, and it was already a sealed deal with my professor. But my professor died of a sudden illness, and the research group was disbanded. Now, a year later, I'm starting as a Ph.D. student in a higher ranking university.

bump

"King"chem aka mr drop out after 3 months because professors wouldn't look at his childish drawins still can't go a second without whoring for attention. Just kill yourself.

Can you blame them? They're literal lines of tens of thousands of people waiting to get any kind of funding.

My funding was real small. Gotta start somewhere. Just need charisma and the willingness to keep being rejected.

LOL NARDONE

NERDONE CENTER FOR ADVANCED FEDORA TIPPING

Facebook: thefantasticjoe.nardone / Joseph P. Nardone

Handsome man. What a pity.

Anyone could find that by googlinggoogling my info was already posted...

Not really sure what it does, but you got me to reply.

Again just here to offer help and talk about research now that the original topic is far derailed.

REKT.

GET REKT SON