Man Missing 90% of his Brain is Conscious and Functioning

A civil servant missing most of his brain challenges our most basic theories of consciousness

qz.com/722614/a-civil-servant-missing-most-of-his-brain-challenges-our-most-basic-theories-of-consciousness/

Can someone in neuroscience please explain what in the actual fuck in going on?

Tl;dr:
>Man has hydrocephalus
>90% of his brain tissue is lost
>IQ of 75. Still maintains functional movement, communications, language, abstract undestanding, mathematical skills, has a family, etc.

What the fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_(philosophy_of_mind)
newscientist.com/article/mg22329861-900-woman-of-24-found-to-have-no-cerebellum-in-her-brain/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Wolcott_Sperry
rifters.com/real/articles/Science_No-Brain.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969996115001631
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The parts of his mind that control critical thinking, memory and bodily function are still intact.

I bet he dies before 60

It looks like he is missing the tissue from inside his brain. Honestly, most of what people think of the brain is actually just the cerebral cortex (surface of the cerebrum, which he has). Of course, as I understand it, the insides of the brain are important too because they provide connections to different places on the cerebral cortex. By the way, I'm not really a neuroscience fag. I took a single neuroscience class and mostly focused on drug chemistry.

Neuroplasticity and the extremely slow rate of erosion allowed for adaptive rewiring.

Pretty cool, OP.

Thanks for sharing.

there have been others too

But area's like Broca's and Wernicke's have been entirely eroded
What about medulla oblongata, PFC?

Can we get more detailed answers please?

>Can someone in neuroscience please explain what in the actual fuck in going on?

The mind is partially metaphysical.

Wonder what happens to this guy if he takes some psychedelics

This is actually quite bizarre. My understanding is that people with damage to Broca's area develop grammatical and musical problems.

I'm very surprised the guy passed for normal.

Has to relate with the nature of the damage, how it propagates, and its speed. Most of the cells probably cleanly underwent apoptosis rather than outright necrosis. There was no means for scarring, only pressure. No tangled clumped masses of confused glial cells.

If the brain sustains rapid damage otherwise losses, usually by mechanical trauma or hypoxia, are drastic and nearly permanent. I don't know enough about neuroscience to say much of anything though. I'm imagine cleaner signalling chains than those that occur with eg peripheral amputations and schwann cell proliferation.

I wonder what cell phones do to his head.

he seems to type pretty well in those "flat earth" posts

He has a little guy in a machine controlling everything for him, obviously

You can't see it because the controller put up a force field

>I wonder what cell phones do to his head.

bait?

Neuroplasticity is a thing you know OP.

The remaining 10% of the brain took over the job, and if you notice, he still has the brain stem and the cerebral cortex, which are the 2 parts of the brain we *know* a human cannot lose without losing consciousness.

He is certainly a freak of nature, but it's not that uncommon.

His head is mostly CSF. It's just water. The SAR of the system and its removal rate would be much different.

Oh, but there is all that stuff with altered BBB permeability, acting via VDCC, elevation of (non-thermal) HSPs, increases in ROS / NOS production. Etc.

Finally someone who isn't an idiot in this thread.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_(philosophy_of_mind)

>Conscious
>IQ below 120
kek

Tell us what it's like to be missing 90% of your brain, user.

I find that image to be plausible.

i dont get it. arent all civil servants missing most of there brains?

I think you're mistaking them with just women.

Guys, we have very little knowledge of how the brain actually works.

Cognitive science is in its infancy.

The neuroplasticity and rewiring is almost a given, however we have no idea how this happened.

The answer is: we don't know.

That was covered in the third post of the thread.

Didn't see it amongst all the spiritual nonsense.

Yeah, this thread is a mess.

In fact, this board is a mess.

Heres another case where a woman was essentially born without a cerebellum and didnt know until she was in her 20s

Only had mild ataxia and dysmetria

pretty cool dude

newscientist.com/article/mg22329861-900-woman-of-24-found-to-have-no-cerebellum-in-her-brain/

ur a mess m8

aren't we all?

tickle my feet bby

I think this post is probably the best in this thread. I also remember reading a chapter in a book titled "The Encyclopedia of Ignorance" written by a Nobel laureate, Roger W. Sperry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Wolcott_Sperry

In the chapter, Dr. Sperry mentions that the human brain has an astounding amount of redundancy between the two brain hemispheres, and no one really knows why. In electrical engineering, it is useful to have redundant circuits on satellites; in the event of an SEU (ie. corrupted data) a dual-with-compare or tri-modular-redundancy (TMR) can be the difference between function and non-function. I would have to say that I think this is why the human brain would have so much "wasted" space devoted to redundancy-- without it perhaps our survival rate as a species in more brutal times (eg concussions more common) would have plummeted. Maybe that's the same for all mammals, IDK.
I will admit though, if this guy is really missing 90% of his grey matter and he's still walking/talking/etc, holy shit, how is that possible?

>mfw niggers are more stupid then a guy with only 10% of brain left

rifters.com/real/articles/Science_No-Brain.pdf

>IQ of 126
>has gained a first-class honors degree in mathematics

YES! I WIN BEST POST IN THE THREAD!

Guess he really was only using 10% of his brain.

unacknowledged kek

kek

>Missing 90% of his brain
>Works for the civil service

I'm not surprised.

So my suggestion of replacing the brain in incremental surgeries with electrical alternatives to preserve the consciousness is reasonable?

top kek

Cerebellum isn't particularily necessary anyway, it's like a GPU for motor tasks - you're slower and clumsier without it, but otherwise normal.

I wonder how many neurons and connections he has left? Seems like you need about an order of magnitude less than a normal brain to have consciousness. So simulating an artificial one might be a lot cheaper than previously thought.

As long as you have at least one sense, you have a consciousness

Most of the middle of the brain is for routing and plasticity.
The surface and folds are where most activity occurs.
Most of his connectome is going around the long way instead of point to point with all those connections through the middle.

But damn, I had no idea you could live without all that wiring...

Would you say a chimp is not conscious?

How about a cat?

How about a bird?

How about a lizard?

How about a fish?

How about a crab?

How about a spider?

How about a snail?

How about a worm?

How about a plant?

How about a bacterium?

Bacteria are single-celled organisms. What are cells in your brain if not many such organisms working in concert toward a common goal?

Just reminder that there are people with only one half of brain.

>A civil servant missing most of his brain
I thought that was normal?

Can you explain that?

let's repeat that joke a hundred more times

I apologize for nothing.

How about no?

So, 1% of a regular brain?

Where do you draw the confidence from to dismiss the "working in concert" part as the essential mechanism behind conscious experience?

Everything down to worms on your list is conscious

>sci tards keep saying but muh neuroplasticity
>there are cases with critical regions missing
>but they still have X region
>there are cases that lack X region
>but they keep making excuses
>they still disregard dualism as some mystical BS

what part of neuroplasticity was it, that you didnt understand?
Sorry, but magic isnt real

>dualism is magic
>I have no read a fucking book

Well, I'm pretty sure you meant mind-body dualism, which is philosophy at best.

>at best
>it has been disproven yet

Very little of philosophy can be disproven. That's a shit standard for judging the worth of philosophical concepts.

the brain operates on a nano scale, smaller than CPUs

we typically gauge processing power with actual size of brain because humans and medical science are retarded

FYI most mamals are capable of complex thought
eating meat is a huge sin

>brainlets realize their entire existence can be achieved with 10% of a brain

really makes you think

It is philosophy. What do you mean "it has been disproven yet"? Thats not how philosophy works. Thats why I called it "magic" in context of a scientific explanation.
You could aswell explain it as a "glitch in the matrix" and tell people to fucking read Descartes

all sciences started as philosophy, ALL.

this is why sci is a fucking high schooler regarding philosophy.
philosophy deals with things science can not still explain.

Well that depends on what IQ used to be.

Drop the canned smugness and rack your brain for an actual response, to either post. You're embarassing yourself.

mind duality shit hasn't been disproven, and it could explain these cases.

your answer is basically I don't believe in dualism, therefore I put my faith in super magical neuroplasticity.

that's absurd

Neuroplasticity is substantiated by observations and evidence. It is not "magic", unlike dualism, which attempts to evade the question of how consciousness arises by referring to an unexplained (worse, unexplainable) different layer of reality - and leaves all the work ahead of you, since a mechanism for the origin of consciousness is still lacking. It's belief in a higher power, rephrased.

Meanwhile, gradual changes to a brain resulting in a working configuration are entirely within the scope of preexisting models (which are purely physical, as is all of science).

Kek

>mind duality shit hasn't been disproven
see
Philosophy is very interesting and really can help to get the right approach and all, but no, the mind-body dualism idea wont give a real satisfying answer to anything in neuroscience

>civil servant missing most of his brain

Best thing I read all day.

On a related note, I remember a little girl who had one hemisphere (half) of her brain removed and she regained full functions. The brain is extremely good at recovering, given enough time of course. This is well known simply through stroke patients.

that's because we only use 10% of our brain, haven't you watched Lucy?

> 75 IQ
Smarter than a nigger.

WE WUZ BRAINDAMAGED N SHIAT

system is still loaded into ram and running

>sin

Thats pretty cool, in neural networks, specifically deep nets, once a minima was found you can disable most neurons yet it would barely affect the final output, I wonder if thats related.

>what is plasticity for $100, alex?
This shit happened slowly enough for the brain to adjust to it.

Also,
>IQ of 75 not disabled
Nigger, that's retarded. Like, actual clinical retardation.

I wonder if that 10% of his brain is extra densely connected with synapses or maybe consuming an elevated amount of energy per unit volume for compensation

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO REKT

Not Broca's, you're thinking verbal associative, which is nearby. Also, it isn't gone, just plastered to the side by the hydrocephalus.

The 'missing 90%' thing is just BS on this one. Yes, the lateral ventricals are massively dilated, but there's not sign that his gray matter is grealy reduced. It instead seems that he has substantially limited white matter, which can be adjusted for.

If you have denationalization disorder then feels 100% accurate.

Come on, you can tell us: its Donald Trump, isn't it?

>Shillery cuck detected

This. You can just barely make out the tulpa.

Cool. I wish he would donate some of his time towards some mri scans and brainwave measurements for science.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969996115001631
>FYI most mamals are capable of complex thought
Well anyone who's ever been to a farm knows tha-
>eating meat is a huge sin
For fuck's sake.
XD

I FUCKING TOLD YOU

I MOTHER, FUCKING, TOLD ALL OF YOU

NONE OF YOU BELIEVED ME

YOU ALL CALLED ME CRAZY

YOU ALL DISMISSED ME

VINDICATION MOTHER FUCKER

I FUCKING TOLD YOU THAT THE BRAIN ISN'T WHAT DOES THINKING, I FUCKING TOLD YOU AND YOU LAUGHED, WHOSE LAUGHING NOW

THE BRAIN IS JUST A FUCKING BATTERY, A FUCKING AMPLIFIER FOR A SIGNAL, A INTEGRATED CIRCUIT THAT ROUTES THE RELEVANT SIGNALS AND HANDLES SOME LOW LEVEL AUTOMATED SHIT

THE BRAIN ISN'T THE SEAT OF CONSCIOUSNESS

THE BRAIN DOESN'T THINK

YOU WERE SO FUCKING MISLED AND COULDN'T SEE IT

WHAT NOW MOTHERFCUKERS? WHAT NOW?

SOMEONE WANNA GUESS *HOW* I KNEW IT?

SOMEONE WANNA TAKE A FUCKING CRACK AT IT? GO ON

I'M WAITING

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Because you don't have a brain but are nonetheless able to shitpost?

>>Civil servant missing most of his brain
>>Challenges our most basic theories of consciousness
Something wooshing over your head, OP

with a meme that is sooooooooooo 1337 ROFL xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD im so M E M E T I C WEW LADDERS WAOPWOEOWOEOEOWOEOWEOWOEOWOEOWEOEWOWOEOWOEOWE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I MADE A KNEW MEME CALLED OWEOEWOEWOOEWOEWOEOEOWOEOWOEOWOEO U LIKE IT GUYZ ROFLFLFLFLFLFLLFLFLFLLFMAOAOAOOAOAOAOAO XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD IM SO FUCKING MEMEY GUYS THIS NAO A MEME THREAD KEKEKLES XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OH FUG 133333333333333333333333333333337 MEEEEMEEEEES WEW WWEWEWE EW E WE E EW W E E WE EW W E WE EWE E WE EW WE WE EW EW E W EW EW E E E W EW E W EW EW BEST MEME EBBER WEWW ECKS DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

WEW
E
W

L
A D xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

WEWAW

HEEHAW
HEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW XDDDD

BRINGIN BACK ONE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD MEME FROM THE 40s HHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

SUCH AN OLD MEME HOT DOG!

OH MAN THES MEMS ARE MAKING ME EXPLOLDED ROFLMAOOOO XOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SO

MEMETICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

WEW LADDS MY 1337 MEMES

COME ON EVERYBODY 1337 WITH ME

1333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333337

You just made that last part up

You're an absolute moron if that is the conclusion you draw from this.

fucking retard

cocaine + lsd = nasty stuff

This is most likely a hoax, as it doesn't agree with the materialistic scientific cult

Please, serious SCIENCE says it cannot be. Therefore, it isn't.

Why is the original article in the Lancet so short? Is there a longer version I'm not aware of somehow?

>serious SCIENCE says it cannot be
If by serious science you mean pop science