Is pic related any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

otago.ac.nz/english-linguistics/english/lowry/content/parent_frameset.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I quit after like 60 pages of rambling clearly written in a drunken stupor

The fuck you say, it's a quite conventional novel
Just read it, OP. It's pretty good.

this was a minor Veeky Forums meme for a while

I just finished Ulysses a few minutes ago after two months of committed reading. And now there's a copy of Under the Volcano in my hand -- waiting to dig in.

It's amazing.

Why don't you just go and fucking read it and then come back and tell us?

>doesn't own the Harper Perennial Limited Edition with based yellow cover.

get out.

we don't know what copy this guy does or doesn't own, m8

That quote from Sophocles on the one of the first few pages is pretty based. Hows it go again?

this is objectively the best cover. you are wrong if you disagree. i don't even own this cover btw and i still cannot deny that it is the best.

That's the order I planned on reading them, because apparently he subverts a lot of the techniques in Ulysses (some critics believe he just misunderstood them)

One of my favorites of all time. Contains the most accurate depiction of the thought processes of a drunken man in the english language. Beyond that, the story it tells is beautiful and heartbreaking, the characters made me realize new things about myself, and the prose is fantastic.

I disagree, but I am not wrong.

Where can I get I can't seem to find it anywhere for sale

I think I found mine on either amazon or bookdepository, but it was about six months ago.

I don't know -- I prefer mine actually.

I bought mine on amazon

How "difficult" is this book compared to Ulysses or In Search of Lost Time? I read Under the Volcano some months ago and absolutely lovet it. I'm looking forward to read those two.

>absolutelydisgusting.jpeg

Does anyone know if this novel is based on an earlier short story with the same name? I read one--more of a short novella really at about 50-60 pages--in a short story anthology that I found in my late father's library. It was published in Romania in 1988. It has a weird cover and it's printed on really shit paper--light brown, very coarse and thick and the letters on each row are misaligned, all typical of books printed in the late communist era. Nevertheless the contents are very good and eclectic.

Anyway, there was this short story I read back then when I wasn't aware of the existence of the novel by the same name. It tells about a bus ride to a Mexican town, somewhere on the slopes of the Popocatepetl. The main character calls himself the consul and there were also a woman and another man. On the way a dead man is found on the side of the road, next to his horse. Not much happens overall. It ends when the bus reaches its destination by night and the characters go into a pub. That's all I remember.

This is all in line with the actual novel, correct? Except I don't remember the prose being especially difficult. It was no Ulysses, for sure; I was in my early teens when I read it. I remember vaguely that in the short intro and author bio that preceded each story there was something about this piece being a precursor, or basis for a later, longer novel of the same name. Is it possible that the Romanian publisher, who was certainly not above that, just pulled a chapter from the novel and repackaged it as a short story to shore up his collection? I don't think they gave a shit back then about the copyright belonging to some dead first world author.

Does anyone have a clue? I must still have the book somewhere on a dusty shelf and I'll go dig for it some day, if only to read what that intro says.

One of my favorites. Here's a decent resource if you want to dig deeper into the text (The Malcolm Lowry Project):

otago.ac.nz/english-linguistics/english/lowry/content/parent_frameset.html

Stay pleb

To be honest I didn't read everything you said but yes this novel is an elaboration on the short story you're referring to. I'm not sure how it reads on your language, but the main difficulty of reading it is due to how flowery the language is. It's not incredibly difficult, but it's more ponderous than much of what people read.

Please respond

it's less abstruse than Ulysses and shorter than Proust.

I loved it.

Reading right now for, I guess, the second time. First time I read it, I dropped everything, went to Mexico, and drank myself stupid for about six months. I don't recommend it, and I hope it doesn't happen again, but as HST said "It worked for me." Also, I just went out and bought a bottle of mezcal.

How does mezcal taste compared to tequila?

Tastes are hard to explain, but I would say mexcal is more "peppery." Kind of like the way rye tastes compared to bourbon.

So it's more harsh, basically?

No. There's a huge variety of types of mescal. I've had some very smooth ones. And some taste very smokey almost like scotch.

Not really, it just has an extra flavor that tequilla doesn't have. Maybe I should have said scotch instead of rye. (I just opened the bottle, just for you!) I haven't had a drink in weeks and this was smooth and warming (Los Amantes, Joven). I see someone got to the answer before me!

yeah, its great.

scrub

Thanks. Maybe Lowry's style developed from the short story to the novel. Can't wait to get to it, in English this time.

But the real question is: is it less abstruse than Proust and shorter than Ulysses?