CS

>I'm not looking for advice regarding college/university or your career path!
Why are a lot of people on Veeky Forums looking down on computer science degree?

Compared to majority of people with phys,math majors...etc. CS gets you way better quality of life, getting a job is way easier...etc.

I'm 22, I finally got the money for it and want to get a degree, I LOVE sci in general, everything really... but what I love even more is computer science in particular.
so what throws me off is when I see all of the people saying how its shit and how its not worth wasting money and time on a cs degree...etc.

So what's actually the deal with computer science? please explain in detail.

Other urls found in this thread:

ccny.cuny.edu/sites/default/files/compsci/upload/Requirements-for-B-S-Computer-Science-Spring-2012.pdf
ccny.cuny.edu/compeng/curriculum
cs.cmu.edu/~rwh
youtube.com/watch?v=K1Xdg_pU4iQ&list=PLpGHT1n4-mAvjCKhxwJKLGfo_NDvovmdV&index=3
catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerscience/bssoftwareengineering/
catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerengineering/bscomputerengineering/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the deal is that panjeeb from duckaduckastan can do a 6 month degree and get your job

I love how geophys is in both the "good" and "great" tier.

> try to reason with memes
nice way to waste time. kek

nice meme

Nobody likes CS people because they have the bad reputation of being average fags who do not care about the Veeky Forums of their subject. They are usually really dumb.

People who care about CS study EE, CE and/or mathematics. When you enroll and meet your classmates you will know what I'm talking about.

CS is good at getting you jobs because it is a degree made to get you a job. CS people are not particularly smart, they just took the easiest path towards an average middle class life.

to save me some time;
can you explain the main differences between CE and CS?

Not him.

do you even know what an engineer does?

Not that user but I'll answer anyway
CS: Computer Science - Programming, Projects, Algorithms, some low-level stuff
CE: Computer Engineering - Fairly similar to CS but less projects and programming, more electronics. In my university both CS and CE do roughly the same amount of math.

>can you explain the main differences between CE and CS?

This is as easy as pointing the problem CS has and CE doesn't.

CS teaches you the basics of many different things (namely math, electrical engineering and computer engineering) so that you can work as programmer anywhere you want, but not so that you have deep knowledge of any field.

CE specializes in CE and obviousloy this is less complete than EE so ideally you would want to study EE unless you really only cared about computers.

To make my point clear I googled an university arbitrarily and found their CE and CS programs.

If you think I am cherry picking feel free to find another university and do the same.

CS: ccny.cuny.edu/sites/default/files/compsci/upload/Requirements-for-B-S-Computer-Science-Spring-2012.pdf
CE:ccny.cuny.edu/compeng/curriculum

CS math requirements: calculus 1 to 3 and elementary linear algebra.
CE math requirements: calculus 1 to 3, differential equations, linear algebra and vector analysis.

One is objectively better than the other.

*I will ignore lib arts requirements because who gives a fuck.

Now, CS has 'science requirements' and CE has 'engineering requirements' but they are both the core fundamental topics that you need to study them so I will act as if they are the same.

CS requirements: General Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Literally why the fuck?

CE requirements: Engineering design, circuits and computer aided analysis. All directly related topics. 10/10

Then comes the meat of the actual education:

CE has the fundamentals of both computer science and computer engineering. Then you can choose on top of that the systems track or computation track to realize yourself as a full computer engineer.

CS has theory and applications, computational techniques for Veeky Forums, and computer systems. The list of require subjects here is not that good either and jumps from theoretical to applied to *REALLY APPLIED*

70k a year + company car + company ammenities to make my life perfect at work and flexible hours vs 100k a year at a tech company that rides me like $5 Bavarian whore and will throw me out the second I show any kind of unproductivity

hmmm... really makes you think OP

Which one is which?

ComputerE and aerospace should be suicide tier.

>What are H1-Bs

Not OP but I want to ask about comparison of EE and CE because yesterday I got my recruitment status in university of technology and I passed EE and in CE I am on reserve list. I do really enjoy everything related with tech, especially computers and now I don't know if I should really care about CE anymore.

OP here, this user explained the differences between CE and CS pretty nicely or at least he said almost everything that I wanted to know. (click post number below)

thanks btw, helped a lot

>Not majoring in math and doing a coding bootcamp + launchcode to get your foot in the door.

And then fuck it up which costs the company millions. Heard a lot of these 3rd world stories. And if a 3rd worlder is actually good, he's going to demand at least the same money they pay a western cs dude.

The tier at the top is obviously edited in and did not appear there originally. Kek. Fucking engineers, man.

FUCKING THIS SO DAMN MUCH!

A friend of mine is the manager of a small computer repairs shop. He could get your data off a physically damaged Hard Drive, no problem. Could build you an awesome computer at a decent price. And so on.

But Goddamn, he is the dumbest MOFO I have ever met. Barely passed classes in high school (even the ones he "tried" in like physics and anatomy), will regurgitate shit he's heard but can't tell you what it all means, and to this day still needs help spelling basic English words.

DESU, I wonder how many times he's stopped for a moment and been grateful that he know so much about 1 thing and nothing else...

>Accounting above marketing
lolno

WHICH ONE IS WHICH!?! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

>Criminal Justice in Good tier
Is this like Lawyers or is actually Criminal Justice? I'm interested.

lmao you literally don't even know what an engineer is.

CS is the Bavarian whore.

I would dig a CS course like this guy's teachings: cs.cmu.edu/~rwh Shame no one's doing that where I live, and I guess I wouldn't appreciate it straight out of high school anyway.

>Implying any kind of engineering is harder than abstract thinking majors
>Implying that being able to integrate e^x a bunch of times over the course of your career is worthy of a $100k salary
>Implying that any major that isn't engineering isn't worth pursuing

Look, if you want to do easy math for all of your college career, attempt to land a job in a saturated field, work with a bunch of reddit browsing, fedora tipping, mouth-breathing neck beards that use computer programs to do everything for them, then by all means, do engineering. It is what all stupid people who want to be admired by others for being "smart" do to make easy money.

Your friend isn't a computer scientist. He is an IT technician, you utter twat.

Engineering is legally defined.

The big generalization is engineers make things and scientists try to figure out things that haven't been figured out yet.

>Compared to majority of people with phys,math majors...etc. CS gets you way better quality of life, getting a job is way easier...etc.
i have a bridge to sell you check my email field
good luck and go for gold!

Are these degrees Bachelor or Master's level?

t. unemployed civil engineer

Will I die poor if I don't have an Engineering degree?

No. The world is not as scary as people make it out to be. Engineers have an easier time but most adults have jobs and not most adults studied engineering.

opportunity cost is not real cost, if your shit is broken then bill the client, bad codebase is the result of shitty management not bad programmers

Depends on what you do with your life. One does not need a degree to get into the middle class life. Trade schools are viable and something I wished I went to instead of spending years at a CC just so that I can transfer to a university for an engineering degree. If I could go back just five years, I'd get into plumbing or electrician.

You can skip college, become an electrician, specialize in industrial, and make as much as the vast majority of engineers. You'll generally have to do more "work work" though. Amusingly, you'll likely end up working with a lot of engineers who never bothered getting their PE too who'll get paid pretty much what you do and have to do a lot more paperwork than you will.

I need you to understand just how many people survive without any college degree at all.

Is cs worth pursuing if you arent too fond of it

>Is cs worth pursuing if you arent too fond of it

No degree is worth the shit you have to swallow to get it if you aren't fond of it. There is a reason only 42% actually finish the degree they went to get (in 6 years or less). There is so much shit to swallow along the way that if you do not genuinely enjoy what you are studying to outweight the shit then you are going to either drop out or graduate as the most empty soul less shell of a human being.

Recently graduated Chem E here

Can confirm that STEM is a meme and doing trade school is a perfectly viable alternative.

That pic

>Ecology not God tier

Dropped

DESU, if I knew it earlier I would have switched to either EE or applied mathematics. CS is a bit too broad. It's not bad if the program is decent enough tho

What other have said about people from fuckistan taking your job, it's only for shit tier web dev jobs at a cookie cutter startup that will die in a couple years. If that's the job you want, you don't even need to study really.

Just apply yourself, find your interest and work as hard as you can on it. If you are good you'll find yourself working on a nice and fulfilling project eventually

>graduate as the most empty soul less shell of a human being.

Not him, but I used to be a NEET, so I'm used to that.

Then why not just kill yourself?

Who?

You, the NEET.

I'm definitely going to try to get my PhD, this was something of a gap year.

we hate you because of those reasons exactly.

all of my friends, including myself, are studying PhDs in hard sciences and getting a job above $80k starting with a doctoral degree is certainly not guaranteed.

you learn the easiest shit and get paid more. it sounds like CS is the next to be oversaturated along with engineering. welcome to the club.

>I'm definitely going to try to get my PhD
>Getting a PhD in 2016

That is close enough to killing yourself that I will take it. Good job my man, you delivered.

Everything is oversaturated these days. The soft sciences, the liberal arts degrees, etc. There really is anything that isn't saturated except some trade jobs. Eventually those will get saturated, too. Just like the businesses want.

>posting on Veeky Forums without a phd
>>>/reddit/

Need help with Java, using around a decade
old library to make a simple test game.
Library doesn't support JColor, any alternatives?

So you are starting uni this fall ? I hope your dreams won't be crushed too fast :^)

How is microbio in a lower tier than bio? It's just as challenging and just as marketable.

I'm 22 too, a normal construction site worker, buying my own apartment soon, maybe you should take the same path.

Once you have permanent job, apartment you can do what ever you feel like during your free time as a hobby, a passion, you don't need schools to become an expert in those areas, far from it.

Not everyone wants to be a construction worker. In many areas you do need a school to become an expert in those areas, mainly because if you do not have a degree you will never be even allowed to enter the field so that you can even apply your expertise.

Also. how the fuck did you get to Veeky Forums? Don't get me wrong, I respect your way of life, but in these past few days I've seen many posts about trade people who are in unions and do mostly manual non Veeky Forums work. How the fuck do that kind of people reach Veeky Forums?

Obviously not for everyone, but sometimes your passion is not the best field to work at, when it comes to computer sciences.

Work is to make a living, free time is to pursue the your passions.

>Work is to make a living, free time is to pursue the your passions.
Truly spoken like a slave

You should try getting paid doing something you love.

It's like never having to work a day in your life

>Java
Get the fuck out, you fagnon.

CS is just kind of gay. You do weird shit like

variable = variable + 5;

You can't derive things from basic principles. There's a lot of counter intuitive stuff. And yeah half your classmates will be neckbeards and nerdy lanky guys who think they're hot shit because they modded some games back in highschool.

Man, fuck CS majors.

Half my CS classmates are retarded. Intro to CS was a nightmare, it was in java for starters, the book we used was overpriced garbage, and we barely touched on algorithms. All this and people were still dropping out of the class. Data Structures was even worse, but I'm glad that after this I'll only interact with the retards for a couple required courses.

OP don't take any language specific courses besides maybe C. Avoid stuff like web dev and app development too. You can learn that stuff from a YouTube video in an hour and have as much depth as the course would teach you. Focus on algorithms and math (calc 1-3, linear algebra, differential equations, discrete math, statistics) to get a solid foundation. Systems programming and networking are good to know. Then pick a specialty.

>You do weird shit like
>variable = variable + 5;
What is programming without mutability?

Fucking newb.

Do what this guy says.

Also, if you want a job, stay in CS, don't do CE or EE; it's easier to get a coding job with a CS degree.

I never said there was some other better way, just that it's inherently gay.

pretty sure that without write-memory-access you get some computational model that is strictly less powerful than a turing maching.
I am in fact somewhat amazed someone would have a problem with writing variables to memory.

I can only guess the person had a problem with the equality sign in that context, but that's just completely standard in C-like languages.
if you want comparison, use ==

if youre writing pseudocode in a mathematical paper simply write
variable

>pretty sure that without write-memory-access you get some computational model that is strictly less powerful than a turing maching.
You might as well say writing anything but ASM or machine code is strictly less powerful. You'd still be wrong.

Regardless, it is not necessarily about language choice. I prefer to isolate mutable shell from functional core. This limits the extent of the other person's silly bitching. It's still silly, but excessive mutability isn't great.

>cuny.edu
What is this, a university for pedos?

>writing anything but ASM or machine code is strictly less powerful
that is fucking retarded and I never said nor implied such a retarded statement.

you're pretty retarded if you think a computational model without write-access to memory can be as powerful as a turing machine

Also compliers, os and basic physics.

>pretty sure that without write-memory-access you get some computational model that is strictly less powerful than a turing maching.
Just how retarded are you?

Criminal Justice is SHIT bachelors degree. Law is what lawyers study, in order to earn the title Juris Doctor

>you're pretty retarded if you think a computational model without write-access to memory can be as powerful as a turing machine
You're pretty retarded if you think that they are less powerful than with. I suspect you've never read a CS book in your life.

>you're pretty retarded if you think a computational model without write-access to memory can be as powerful as a turing machine
Literally what the FUCK is lambda calculus, combinatorial logic, ...!?

Why aren't you Haskell masterrace?

>I don't know what stats is

I don't like parentheses.

isn't me. I don't like the number of operators. Shit looks scary. I might learn it someday. Functional is cool but from my view from afar Haskell seems bloated.

I wish there was some sort of a Haskell* (as in www.fstar-lang.org) already. Full dependent typing (i.e. not just GHC hacks) and type refinements that are actually accessible within the language (i.e. not just hot comments that the compiler itself can't use) are awesome, but I miss type classes (and, well, being able to write anything useful without having to figure out how to import libraries) in F*.

indians are considered bad hires. You do not shit about head hunting...

All DOOM games are good.

Because it's a popular major these days, meaning it attracts idiots (same can be said for social sciences and, to a lesser degree, biology), I haven't seen too many stupid physics or math majors.

Plus 90% of shit talking on Veeky Forums is just banter

>Why are a lot of people on Veeky Forums looking down on computer science degree?
>youtube.com/watch?v=K1Xdg_pU4iQ&list=PLpGHT1n4-mAvjCKhxwJKLGfo_NDvovmdV&index=3

Because computer scientists are getting all the attention and money with the recent advances in artificial intelligence. In addition, the scientific field of CS is producing the major breakthroughs of this era (e.g. internet, programming languages, artificial intellgence, delf-driving cars, computers). Indeed it is a very exiting time for being a computer scientist. On the other hand, Veeky Forums is butthurt mainly by two reasons:

- 90% of Veeky Forums are engineers, they are not scientists. Therefore, they perceive CS students as a threat, since the field is starting to eat real world by automating jobs that engineers typically did.

- Veeky Forums believes that CS is shit due to the fact that they barely studied in a top tier university. Thus, 80% of Veeky Forums has a wrong idea of what actually is CS. For instance, consider:

tfw I changed my major from CS to CompE because I did not want to get bullied by Veeky Forums. tfw I had to endure more Math compared to a CS. tfw I'll probably get less job opportunities.

>tfw I changed my major from CS to CompE because I did not want to get bullied by Veeky Forums. tfw I had to endure more Math compared to a CS. tfw I'll probably get less job opportunities.

CE is for people who can not do well on math. In addtion, I studied CS in a math department.

So then what's the difference between software engineering and computer engineering. There are universities that have all three.

catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerscience/bssoftwareengineering/

catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerengineering/bscomputerengineering/

Well, here's the course work in difference and similarities. I'm sure all three degrees will get you the same job.

>you literally don't even know what an engineer is.
According to Google Image Search, he's the guy that drives the train.

>tfw engineers do science to

I don't even know what the hell are you Ameritards doing with your CS programs. Here in my 3rd world country CS students are required to take the same amount of math as engineering plus discrete mathematics for the first one or two years depend on your talent. After that it's all CS, except two courses named "Software Engineering" and "Web programming" (the latter is an elective)

so is memeing

i worked for a township cutting down trees and repaving roads for a summer.

one of the guys who had been there for 25+ years had a big ass house that you would not expect from essentially a construction worker. you will be just fine. we all tend to get caught up in chasing the big $$$ a lot of the time, but we're all gonna make it.

Fuck guys, so let me explain my situation. I got a scholarship to Japan, I am starting language school one year there to learn japanese in april.
After that I'm gonna try for Tokyo University, and probably finish my degree there if not elsewhere.
But I really am having my doubts, I mean I already got the scholarship but I don't know what to do afterwards.
I want to pursue either ME or EE(I really don't know my reasons for choosing these, I want to cry), Math or Physics(I do like both of these for several reasons)
Do you guys have any books or documentaries I should watch on what to choose? I mean I want to work in a field I like but I want to earn a lot of money too. I'm from Paraguay by the way ( a shithole) that's why I aimed for a scholarship and didn't try for america or europe. After Japan I'm trying for a graduate school scholarship on america, but I still don't know which field I like the best!
Any advice?

>90% of Veeky Forums are engineers
>80% of Veeky Forums

is pulling numbers out of your ass a science

>Why are a lot of people on Veeky Forums looking down on computer science degree?

Code Monkeys don't need 90% of the "material" in the programs.
Other degrees/majors can do what you do typically in smarter ways, most of the programming languages used at companies will not be the ones you learned.
Jobs are also extremely vulnerable to obsolescence and outsourcing, mostly from dedicated code monkey academies

The future of a CS student is mostly to "build front end user interfaces" for small company social media or to try to work in startups. Neither really requires much of what you learned in the degree and most in fact could have been learned on your own from code academies.

The field is bloated, and CS faculty have got it in their heads that what they teach is somehow not covered in a single week in graduate math courses since the 1970s.

The point is that anyone studying math, physics, engineering, and some biologists will be able to do what you can do anyway (or with a little bit of learning) and have other options should that not work out or have unique insight into certain problems you will not.