Perpetual motion

Explain why this wouldn´t work.

The ball is dropped on the red line, suppose to be some flexible material like rubber. The blue box is slightly heavier than air making it rest at the bottom. As the rubber is pressed inwards the air pressure inside the outermost box increases making the blue box lighter causing it to rise. The blue box hits the ball back up and as the rubber returns to its original state the air pressure returns to normal causing the blue box to sink to the floor.

I understand that its not practical, ie, the blue box might not rise fast enough to hit the ball, but explain why the theory is incorrect.

Why do you think increasing the air pressure in the big box would make the blue box rise?

I'm pretty sure increasing the air pressure would make the blue box stay right where it is

Has can't stay in the form of a "box", regardless. It will expand to fill the volume of its container, the partial pressure of the air is what keeps the blue box down near the floor

nothing wrong with that theory where:

desnity of air = x
density of ball = x + e
density of block = x - e

lim(e->0)

Wouldn't the increasing pressure compress the box too, making it denser?

But if not, then assuming no energy losses perhaps you could get that thing to oscillate forever. That's not what people usually have in mind when they're talking about perpetual motion devices (an idealized mass on a spring would be a perpetual motion device by that definition).

>an idealized mass on a spring would be a perpetual motion device by that definition

But in addition, the blue box rising up and down should create additional energy, or not?

Eventually, assuming the premise is correct enough energy would be lost to the box it would stop.

When the ball is down, the box is up, and vice versa. I think the total energy stays constant.

Tell me why this wouldn't work.

water is applying pressure on the seal, so the ball has difficulty entering.

>pretending to nonironically respond to bait

Here I'll make it simpler for you. Put a mass on a spring, pull the spring, and release it.

PERPETUAL MOTION

OK OP you don't understand what perpetual motion is. It's not just something that moves forever, you have to be able to extract energy out of it. As it stands, the ball is just bounced back to where it was at first. Where is the gained energy? If perpetual motion was just something moving forever, I'd have a simpler example: just have a ball bounce elastically on a surface. The ball will bounce forever, at the same height. Unfortunately that's not what we call perpetual motion.

tell me why this wouldn't work

You know I actually thought this one up when I was like 12 and it took me a long ass time to figure out why it wouldn't work

>bait
fuck you newfag

I miss troll scientist threads

Because there's no such thing as a rubber line / sheet that is perfectly elastic. Every deformation is going to take some of the ball's kinetic energy and convert it into heat. In other words, have you ever seen a rubber ball that can bounce forever on concrete, even in a vacuum? No.

Dittos for deforming the air itself in the box. Some of the energy to raise the pressure is going to be transformed into heat.

> Implying it has to be a seal.
Thats a desperately tryhard response to account for an inexistent energy loss.You can simply put airlock gears that rotate as the balls go upward.

>gears are exempt from water pressure

shit would just turn into water and piddle out

> tries to account for less than a liter of static water pressure
You know the buoyancy is a much stronger force right ?

>not adding the buoyancy of the balls to the overall force on the gears
>what is Newton's third law

Buoyancy is an upwards force you fucking retard, water pressure is a downwards force, you don't add them together. Go get highschool physics before talking about physical laws.

ohyou.jpg

Cute!

Inefficiencies in the system that draw energy out:

>The stretching/reforming rubber

>The inelastic impact of the blue box on the floor of the bigger box

>Resistance as the blue box moves up and down (Not on the ball - you can place the system on the moon. But the blue box must move through a medium that pushes it upwards)

>Flexing walls of both blue and white box as air pressure changes.

>Flexing wall of the ball as it hits the rubber.

Each cycle, these five things will draw some energy out of the system as heat.

That would be the case if the blue box wouldn´t move. However when the ball hits the rubber the air pressure inside is increased making the blue box move. This creates energy no?

>Vegeta what does the scouter say about his bait level?