Why should I keep reading?

>marathon
>first chapter
kek

lmao good one

>being
>this new
kek

honestly it only has 3.71 on goodreads. you never should have started. don't read anything with less than 3.85. it's the kind of book that makes people hate books. Literally one of, if not, the worst story I've ever read. A classic English majors only book, aka people like talking about this book and that they "get it" make you feel like their intellectual inferior. This book is the literary equivalent of some hipster noise band that everyone knows sucks but people will say they are good just to be in the "know." I must say this before I get a bunch of messages from people looking down their nose at me. I do "get it" I got an A on the paper I wrote on this book but what I "get" more is that there is nothing to "get." It's the act of "getting it" and being part of that special little crew that does that makes people enjoy this book. They enjoy more looking down upon those simpletons who don't "get" it than they enjoy the story. Get what I'm saying?

I don't "get" this post

I didn't get it but I enjoyed it.

To see how the story """ends""". :)

>Marathoned the first chapter.

this pasta never gets old

Keep reading so you stop shitting up the board.

> marathoned the first chapter

It isn't even a long chapter, what are you talking about?

But you should keep reading because the book is a joy that playfully teases with an enigma that shouldn't really be one. It's basically a bored housewife who becomes addicted to finding conspiracy theories in a postal service. It's more delightful and fun than it sounds.

> seriously going by ratings on Goodreads

Fifty Shades of Grey and The Hunger Games have a higher score than Death of a Salesman. Goodreads reviewers are fucking idiots.

the people that review fifty shades of grey aren't the same people that review the lot. kys

Why is post modern humor so good? Veeky Forums is the best at these kinds of things.

>Why should I keep reading?

Why should I care if you do? Here's an ideia:

- What do you think ?

>thinking there's anything to "get"

>kek

hello summerfriend

wew lad nice bait, almost perfect but you gave yourself away right about here:

>I must say this before I get a bunch of messages from people looking down their nose at me. I do "get it" I got an A on the paper I wrote on this book

Keep honing your skills and you'll soon be a master

Embarrassing. Stop trying.

fuck you this book was perfect

The prose is fantastic.
It's about the reduction of humans in the modern world in general to mere objects and machines.
It's about the breakdown of communication between people.
It's about entropy (which ties into the breakdown of communication and the degeneration of human beings into things).
It's about the futility the average citizen of the modern world feels in finding out that "conspiracies" (or even coordinating conglomerates of people with power) larger than themselves exist and may subtly influence their lives.
These people are what Pynchon sympathetically calls the poor "preterite", the "profane" (see Benny Profane).
Masons or readers-up on Freemasonry may here recall the term "cowan".
James Shelby Downard II being a famous cowan born on 03/13/1913, with a hilariously unlucky life (if one believes his book, The Carnivals of Life of Death) to match up to the numerological freak of his birthday.
Which happens to be the same date that the bluesman Lightnin' Slim was born on, with his singles such as "Bad Luck Blues", "Hoodoo Blues", "Nothing But the Devil", and "I'm Evil".
All of which relate to the Satanic and unlucky connotations of the number 13.
All of which can be verified with simple Google searches.
If you read it diligently, we might consider dropping around and recruiting you. We communicate telepathically through the mental aether and will pick up on your sympathetic observations if you manage to correctly understand this --- ...
But I've already said too much.

Goodreads shit makes me think this is bait, but yeah from what I know of Pynchon there's probably not much substance. Certainly worth reading if you like literary games/puzzles though, ol' Tommy was a smart guy.

He's right though, Joyce said as much himself. But again, there's value in it as an aesthetic object, the fact that Joyce and Pynchon were autists or sociopaths or whatever doesn't mean their work isn't enjoyable.

Filter out female reviewers and the quality goes up a lot.

It's sad enough that you think and believe all that wrongness, but you have to come and spew it like you are smart or something. Pity you.

terrible, don't bother

>I've just Marathoned the first chapter.

Honestly I love this meme.

the people on goodreads that review pynchon aren't the same people that Jack up the scores of the hunger games you fucking retards. you can take goodreads seriously for serious literature . when. have you ever heard a girl say "oh I loved 50 shades of grey but totally hated Dubliners"... KYS

lmao jesus dude. It's not even a contest between Coelho & Joyce. Still can't believe he said this.

>pynchon
>serious literature

i'm confused at what you expect from literature.

low quality bait

pynchon is low quality