Why does Veeky Forums recommends this to people...

Why does Veeky Forums recommends this to people? I started reading (up to page 100 now) and it's very boring and mediocre. It's not even funny, if that's what it's supposed to be. Do you guys like it just because Ignatius is a parody of a intellectual NEET?

What country are you from?

Wondering this too. If you've spent any time in the southern US, you'd probably like it more.

You don't seem to have the right mindset for it, stop reading and come back when you're more seasoned (if ever).

>endorsements on the cover
Why do Americans do this? It's revolting.

It's not funny? I'll take this either as bait or as you being a newfag that just wants to create threads and be given replies.

Not him, but I read it in French translation, never went out of France, and it works fine.

Only the parts with Jones feel weird (it's translated with outdated white slang from the 60s, almost unreadable for modern readers).

Burgess is British

Brazil. I also thought that maybe this was the case, just like with Gatsby. I just don't get it because I haven't lived it.

It's NOT the case, though. I'm Brazilian too and this is one of the funniest books I've read in my life, together with Memórias Póstumas.

I'm betting more on the probability that maybe you're not actually understanding Ignatius' thoughts/dialogs, the irony, the characters, etc.

Are you reading the original English novel (not a translation)?

If so, you may consider reading a translation instead. It's quite hard in English, and you can't get the irony if you struggle to understand the words.

I'm reading it in English. Also, I'm fluent in English and have read 130+ novels in the language, so the problem is not the language. I guess it's just not my thing.

Interessante. Realmente talvez tenha uma profundidade nos chiliques dele que talvez eu esteja perdendo. O que preciso saber pro livro ser engraçado?

Answered the wrong poster.

Still consider a translation. It is the kind of book that really can't work out of your native tongue (too alien, too subtle), even if you are fluent.

A similarly bad idea would be to read "Tristram Shandy" in English.

>Only the parts with Jones feel weird (it's translated with outdated white slang from the 60s, almost unreadable for modern readers).
Well that's a god damn shame, because Jones' dialogue is some of the funniest in the book. Is the 60's one the latest edition in French?

Eu não estou nem entrando no mérito de profundidade (aliás, não acho que seja profundo), só estou dizendo que as falas e a "filosofia" do Ignatius, bem como seu comportamento em relação às outras pessoas são engraçadas demais.

Infelizmente não sei lhe dizer o que te falta para apreciar o livro - eu diria vocabulário, mas você já disse não ser esse o problema.

De qualquer forma, é só um romance. Se você realmente não gostou da leitura não está perdendo TANTO assim.

Sorry, but I wouldn't. I don't like translations and I'm very confident in my grasp of English. I'd much rather learn to understand the nuance in the writing than to just read the translation.

Acho que é isso mesmo. Poucos escritores da língua inglesa conseguiram me prender direito (Joyce, DFW, Gaddis e mais uns gatos pingados). Talvez eu volte nesse livro daqui uns anos pra ver se algo mudou.

I think the translator's goal was to use outdated 60s slang when the book was released in the 80s (because the action is set in the 60s).

It made sense for 80s readers who were familiar with this 60s slang, but now it feels embarrassing.

I don't think there's a more recent French translation (the one we have is excellent for the rest). Anyway, merely wanting to translate "Whoa!" is destined to fail.

You can't "learn" certain nuances when you don't understand they're there in the first place.

Try to read Tristram Shandy and see if your confidence is justified.

>It's not even funny
I've only read 20 pages and it's hilarious, are you perhaps a nigger?

>subtleties of language in confederacy of dunces
puh-fucking-leez. the book is a simple caricature driven oblomovesque. it's not fucking complex. my god, the plebs on this board.

I recommend it mostly because of the way the coloreds are depicted in it.
It gives me great pleasure.

>comparing tristram shandy to confederacy of dunces

pleb overload

>just like with Gatsby

you are just a pleb, amigo.

>has only read 20 pages
>but already has a finished opinion
>spouts /pol/ clichés
>all in one sentence

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

>doesn't like A Confederacy of Dunces or The Great Gatsby

The language itself is not subtle. The irony is subtle. And it's harder to grasp it if you have artificial fluency in English.

>my god, the plebs on this board
Go choke on your katana.

dude, fuck off. confederacy of dunces is fucking simp food and you're a god damned pleb. stop misleading based OP

Read it for the geometry and theology.

ugh

I feel sorry for you, americans. Things like Gatsby and this are considered great literature where you're from. Now compare this to a Borges, a Bioy Casares, a Cortázar, a Vargas Llosa, a Lugones, a Macedônio Fernandez. Fuck, even Márquez. And I mean in their original language, not butchered to adapt to your barbaric simpleton language. Joyce, Pynchon, Shakespeare and a select few are the only ones who deserve any praise.

Woah! Us simpuhl nee-gros ain no nuthin bout you fancy mothers! Woah! How the weather up dere on that horse o yours??

First 100 pages are the funniest in the book after that it just goes on repeat.

I feel it's overrated myself. However, taken as a very clever situation comedy, it's great. Not great literature. Also, it the author was still alive, it wouldn't be that popular.

Hehe. You got me. This made me laugh.

This.

Fuck your shit OP

Gatsby is okay at best

brazilians posters on Veeky Forums are just like aussies on /pol/

fucking leave

what is "muh prose" in brazilian?

I can't imagine Joyce translated is easy.
They speak Portuguese, fool.

Joyce writing starter pack. Don't use an editor and publish your first draft.

You need a certain amount of maturity and experience to enjoy the book.