CAN WE DISPOSE OF RADIOACTIVE WASTE IN VOLCANOES?

Other urls found in this thread:

thorconpower.com/docs/ct_yankee.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.
In fact that's probably one of the worst places to dispose of it.

Just send all them radioactive shit to the sun.

disposing them in israel is a infinitely better option t b h.

we should store it in your mum's poop receptor

the butty fat will shield the radiation

Couldn't we just ship it all to space?

Right now no.
It's fucking expensive.
Sometime in the future, probably.

We could get a big slingshot and just shoot it up that way.

I don't know a shit about aero spacials, but wouldn't it be dangerous to have radioactive shit flying around the earth?

We could wrap it up in plastic bags and if any remain in orbit around the earth we'll have the people on the international space station over it. To minimize damage of falling radioactive material we'll just shoot it up from a base on the ocean or something.

Post more Maki, she's a qt

Ok. I was rangebanned (or location banned) from /g/ for posting her and I cannot post on /g/ despite not being banned from the rest of the site. So this can be her new home.

This is place is no different than /g/ in terms of shitposts and threads getting derailed so hard they're screenshot-worthy.

Take your pedophile cartoons to

No, you cannot. You will now be banned here also.

Why can't we just research into how to exploit whatever residual energy is left in the waste? I mean, the issue with the waste is that it's still radioactive and has a really long half-life, right? Would it be possible to exploit the energy in the waste?

I have the same question.

Why not just shoot them off into the sun?

>Why can't we just research into how to exploit whatever residual energy is left in the waste?
money
>I mean, the issue with the waste is that it's still radioactive and has a really long half-life, right?
it has medium half-life and we don't know any uses for it.

long half-life material can just be stored underground because it produces very little radiation, medium half-life is enough to start degrading things and killing people slowly.
>Would it be possible to exploit the energy in the waste?
you would get a triple A batteries worth out of a couple of pounds of it.

we just don't know enough about physics to make any use of it.

Shit, that's actually kinda depressing.

I know that isn't a serious question but the sun is a nuclear reactor. Putting nuclear waste into a reactor is a terrible idea. It could start a new series of chain reactions that could be unpredictable and could have devastating consequences on Earth in a few years.

So if i did get it, it's like trying to exploit solar energy without solar panels?

you are a total moron

Just answering a hypothetical situation. No need to get upset.

and your answer is completely wrong, which is why you are a moron

NO.

Putting it in a volcano is a horrible idea, because it'd come right back out again.

A much better way to dispose of waste is to drill into a subduction zone and put the waste there. The subduction zone will then return the waste to the mantle over geological time periods.

However, a much more fun solution is to detonate a specially shaped nuclear charge to initiate a crack in Earth's crust and fill it with 100 megatons of molten iron and nuclear waste.

Because of the shear weight of the molten iron relative to surrounding rock, once the crack is initiated, it keeps on cracking straight through the crust. Because iron's heavier than magma, it sinks when it reaches the mantle taking our radioactive waste all the way to the core in about a week. FUCK YOU GEOLOGICAL TIMESCALES!

The only nuclear waste problem is public perception.
thorconpower.com/docs/ct_yankee.pdf

Then there's this idiot.

(you)

fucking retard thinks dumping atomic waste into the sun might cause some kind of nuclear chain reaction

Do you know how big the sun is?

Do you even know what a nuclear chain reaction is?

Do you have any idea how much shit falls into the sun all the time?

You are a complete mouth-breather

You could probably expose zinc sulfide to the radiation and use photoelectrics to produce electricity but it would be horrendously inefficient and expensive. You could theoretically get enough energy by scaling the size of the generator but it'd be way bigger than a nuclear plant.

The reason we can't just throw everything into the sun is that it's an enormous waste of energy.

It's literally cheaper to dump our radioactive waste on the surface of Neptune than to throw it into the sun.

Sure you could.

You could also bask in the sweet radiation after the eruption