Found this in sorta-local library. Sitting in library with it now. Do I take it...

Found this in sorta-local library. Sitting in library with it now. Do I take it? I owe the lib a few overdue books that I don't have on me. Lit, what do I do?

steal it
seriously, it'll be cool

I want to. How the hell do I go about it? They have the metal-detectors by every entrance/exit. I thought they wouldn't. It's a nice town. Do I just remove the metal shit on the inside? I have a backpack on me, which makes things easier.

>Being a nigger
You can buy a copy for

yep, that's it, you figured it out

Sorry to be a dumbass. I can only spot the one metal tag in the back of the book. Are there any other hidden ones you know of? I'm sure it varies from lib to lib, but I just want to be sure

there's usually a secret tag hidden in each instance of the word 'exquisite' - the best way to get rid of them is by using one of those hard erasers you got on the other side of the pencil eraser

librarianfag here. it's not a metal detector you fucking mongloid, just think about how stupid that is. it's RFID. a damaged tag will still set off the alarm. removing the tag WILL damage your book and the tags are designed such that the essential, alarm-triggering parts are left even when the tag is removed. you can't "demagnetize" it either or whatever back up plan your curmudgeon brain thought up. also it's literally free to borrow, so just borrow it.

i stole a book once by just tearing the cover off
i mean what you really want to get at is the sweet sweet words inside, right? who gives a fuck about the cover

>borrow
Communist.

How the fuck do people steal books then? I never have because I'm not a colossal piece of garbage, but people on lit brag about it all the time.

Just cut out the whole page with the tag on. Ex-library books get sold like that all the time.

The tag was stuck to the back cover/that page that's attached to the rear cover. . I know that sounds odd, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I removed it. Just don't want to get fucked now. At least I could have played dumb before. "Oh, sorry. Must have accidentally put that in there." ... Now it's all or nothing.

yeah this you have to remove the tag completely. or sometimes shitty tags come off completely without leaving any trace. depends how good you are/how good the processing clerk was in putting the tag on the item.

also tripfag for the love of god don't cut a page out of an OOP book you goon

can't you cover the book in tin foil and stow it in a backpack for it to trigger the alarm?

or maybe try to find an exit out of the library not through the front door

or you can just bolt

for it not to, whoops

do you get many people trying to steal books? just interested

i can't imagine there are that many people discerning and yet unscrupulous enough to try and lift a mcelroy book

perhaps dig a tunnel

toss it out a window and retrieve it outside

i do this at book stores and libraries all the time
usually they have those high up windows but it's usually not hard to reach standing on a heater or something

>stealing meme books

not really, it's mostly video games that people steal. way easier (surprisingly)/higher value. the security tags are right on the disk itself, which sounds smart in theory, but also makes them easier to remove cleanly.
and it really takes a certain type of person to steal a book you can borrow almost indefinitely for free. but hey.

but what if a bird takes it?

>steals book he's never going to read

asshole

there is no reason a bird would want to take a book
i have never had one taken by a bird anyhow

what if it needs to line its nest?

I stole Broom of The System in 1996

Put a copy of House of Leaves out there to distract it.

how much time are you leaving between the toss and retrieval?

that's the tricky part: not long enough and it can kill you, too long and it loses all its flavour

Have you tried boiling it fresh?

To the library, and step on it!

Why would I step on a library?

>david falls asleep on merry go round sporting his new gold chain

he means go in through the roof
it's the classic strategy

No good, the lightning rod acts as a metal detector.

TAKE IT MY BROTHER

Forget the tags, as you walk out, toss your backpack in the air, over the detectors, walkthrough and catch your backpack. Then run.

Why don't you just read it in the library? Then you can remember the words in your brain

DID YOU TAKE THE BOOK OR NOT OP

Well shit, my library has a copy too, should we all just find and lift a copy of Women & Men like it's one of the tests in becoming the Veeky Forums version of an eagle scout?

ayyyy

OP: Scan it and upload it, you lil bich

dude just take it. I used to work for sunglass hut. we were instructed to never go after theifs. if anything they will call security and by that time you have a huge headstart. go in with a hat and sweater on. after stealing the book and getting out of sight of library staff just take sweater and hat off. boom your golden.

Just go somewhere secluded in the library, away from cameras, and cut out, tear out the magnetized security tag. Then put it in our backpack and walk out.

Works everytime

True story. one time I was at my uni library studying with a friend. we finished and we're walking out as a group. the buzzer thing starts going off. a few of us look around, some other people look back. we keep walking. get to class open my bag. woops I put the fucking book I was studying from in my bag by accident. library people didn't even get up when the buzzer went.