Thoughts? I feel like, putting aside his irrational hate of T.S. Eliot, he is the most-correct modern critic

Thoughts? I feel like, putting aside his irrational hate of T.S. Eliot, he is the most-correct modern critic.
Also, Harold Bloom general.

well he did discover that Shakespeare INVENTED the HUMAN for chrissake

love Bloom

Who will defend the Canon when he dies pals??

I will, don't worry user

I wish he would at least acknowledge Ezra Pound.

I don't really care if you're serious or not, but once you think about it, you can ascertain that Bloom is correct. It sounds like an hilarious and over-the-top idea when you first hear it, but really, but what characters as well-developed were there as Shakespeare's before Shakespeare? Dante himself in The Divine Comedy? Virgil? Virgil's Aeneas, Dido? Homer's Agamemnon, Ulysses, Telemachus, Penelope? None of them compare. The creation of complex, multifaceted, self-aware, developing, and self-questioning (what Bloom calls self-overhearing) characters in literature wasn't a very great priority before Shakespeare, desu.

This is correct. Hamlet is the greatest thing to come out of humanity.

I'm not sure if I would go that far but thanks for agreeing anyway and it's nice to see genuine enthusiasm about an amazing piece of literature on a Veeky Forums board.

My ancestor'a diary desu.

his best contributions to the humanities are 'no discernible talent' and 'i went to the yale university book shop...'.

I'm going to cry for a week when he dies.

Do you guys know of any good Marxist/Feminist/Queer/Post-Colonial/(Post-)Structural/New Historicist/Postmodern/Cultural Materialist/Ecocentric readings of The Western Canon by Harold Bloom?

(not bait)

thanks 4 the recc.

Judith Butler

I'm guessing his hate for Eliot had something to do with Eliot's criticisms of Shakespeare, which I'm sure he found quite triggering. Bloom is good though, can't disagree with a man who loves Crane and Stevens.

Also, keep in mind that he's a Jew, so you can see how he might not see eye to eye with Pound and Eliot.

One time he returned a student's essay with nothing but the phrase "admissions error?" written on it in big red letters.

Why? Next level banter ?

You need to reread the Iliad if you think this.

I found a copy of this book at a used bookstore and read the first page of the Chaucer chapter. The way Bloom scolds"cultural justice" and defends Chaucer as one of the greats was done with equal parts humor and severity. It was brilliant.

I'll buy it one day

He's babby's first critic. He's a Freudian T.S. Eliot.

He doesn't have much to say about Shakespeare. At best, he parrots the opinions of stronger minds than him. On religion, it's total garbage and he constantly gets called on it.

His best work is on Wallace Stevens.

no one
or him, probably
there's already famous people who've said it, but think of how many students are going to come out about him groping them
or maybe they've successfully repressed it if it was a while ago

this happened exactly once by a woman who is known for being a hack attention whore and who later reduced her accusation from sexual misconduct to just :he came close to me and touched me on the leg for a second and I was triggeres"

This is the "ultimate list of recommended reading" book, and it introduced me to much stuff that I would have never heard of before.

harold bloom had sex with his students at yale. he is a predator!

>Having sex with college-age women is a crime
It's only a crime if they are drunk and regret it later

>Do you guys know of any good Marxist/Feminist/Queer/Post-Colonial/(Post-)Structural/New Historicist/Postmodern/Cultural Materialist/Ecocentric readings of The Western Canon by Harold Bloom?
>(not bait)
seconded
>what's a power relation
>what's giving someone a bad grade if they tell or stop sleeping with you

foul

They really aren't. They are like the masters from Nietzsche's genealogy. They lack the important inwardness that comes with slave morality. It's a book about a world where everyone is a blond beast. Strong and striving, but ultimately shallow. What profundity of psychology do we get from Achilles, or Agamemnon, or Paris? Nothing that approaches Falstaff, Iago or Hamlet. Homer is truly great, but not as a psychologist.