Veeky Forums Census

>What university do you attend?

>What is your major?

>What is your GPA?

>How do you study?

>Do you enjoy your major? Why?

>If you had the opportunity to choose another university and/or major, what would you do? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

engineering.purdue.edu/ChE/people/ptProfile?id=4239
cpp.edu/~admissions/advising/impacted-majors.shtml?nav=undergrad
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What if you're British?

Post your shit adjusted to the thread then, m8.

>Athens State University
>Biology/Chemistry
>4.0
>Repetition, sometimes with classmates but typically just read over my notes over and over. With chemistry & math problems, just doing problems and homework several times.
>Yes, because the pursuit of knowledge is fascinating and so is the natural world. I also enjoy extrapolating data in chemistry but biology will hopefully allow me to help the natural environment.
>I wouldn't change. I go to my current university for free.

Princeton

>What is your major?

Chemistry

>What is your GPA?

>How do you study?

Secret that plebs aren't allowed to know

Got a good deal upon graduation. Will be making upwards from six figures.

>If you had the opportunity to choose another university and/or major, what would you do? Why?

No.

>chemistry major
>making fun of plebs
I have news for you.

DeVry University
Electrical Engineering
they give me credits to go see a tutor for 1 hour/week per class
its ok. lots of nerds.
maybe university of phoenix

>Cambridge.
>Physics.
>4.00
>Nootropics and Asperger's obsession.
>Yes, see latter point above.
>Never.

University of Colorado
>What is your major?
Pharmaceuticals, but it's grad school so not really a major
>What is your GPA?
I have no fucking clue. Probably like 3.8
>How do you study?
By reading literature on the topic
Ya, it's nice because i set my own hours and I don't have a lot of bench work to do, rather I just do a lot of reading

Edinboro University
>What is your major?
Physics/Engineering 3+2 program
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
I read the entire chapter in the morning, go to class, and then do all of the work in the afternoon
I do because it challenges me in ways that makes me think about the world and opens doors to myself.
I went to this university because I'm an aspie with a GED. If I had a higher SAT score and bothered to finish high school, I would have gone to somewhere much more "prestigious" AKA where rich kids act degenerative. I went to a very prestigious boarding school for secondary school, so I know exactly the differences between average public schools and selective private schools. There are no academic reasons to attend a selective school if you're autistic and have few friends by choice.

Typical of prestigious american college intellectuals, discussing trivial nothings to infinity, but can't be bothered to read the 'fine print'

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>ending everything in a period even when it's not a sentence
yeah, you are autistic.

Nobody is asking for advice in this entire thread. You're mentally challenged and can fuck off, now.

what noontropics? Do you just mean adderall?

I know, I have weird habits about punctuation.

every board has threads like this. there are no rules against it. fuck off retard.

Noopept, Pramiracetram; Alpha-GPC and Ritalin.

pot calling a kettle black lmao.

try reading the fine print yourself genius

>advice
nobody ITT asking for shit. the fucking thread is called Census for fucks sake. kys.

Even though the posting style sometimes seems like /Frats and Colleges/ you're actually on a science board, which your topic isn't relevant to in any way.
Never stopped anyway on Veeky Forums, but pride of your status in these organization is no less than shitposting.

>Work hard.
>Enjoy your field.
Can't have pride in that? I'm sorry, are you a Puritan?

MIT
>What is your major?
Physics
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
like >Do you enjoy your major? Why?
I always wanted to go into Physics. I couldn't tell you why. It just always seemed like the zenith of our knowledge while still being fundamental and to me that seemed extremely impressive and powerful as a kid.
I wouldn't change anything.
>tfw you make a snarky comment about him being autistic but he doesn't bite back
You win. I have Aspergers as well.

Nothing to get upset about, I know I'm a bit abnormal.

>University of Delaware
>Political science
>4.0
>Combination of notecards, online sources, and rereading
>Of course, it's a lot of fun, and I'm meeting a lot of new people
>Nothing, possibly economics due to the usefulness

>princeton

Okay buddy.

>political science
>on Veeky Forums
>mfw

not really liking that

ITT everyone from MIT/Harvard with an average GPA of 4.0 already making six figures and totally aren't full of shit.

University of Alaska: Anchorage
>What is your major?
Electrical Engineering
>What is your GPA?
3.0, fucked around first couple years
>How do you study?
Adderall
Very much
I like my university well enough, but we don't have the biomed engineering I want. Only difference would be picking up some sort of pre-med dual major when I started out

only three guys have said shit about being at a top school and six not. calm down retard

sko buffs

Econ & Math
3.4ish
I didn't study
ye, I'm probably like 10% autistic
Probably shoulda gone to UCSD cause its way better for my major but I'm done now so who cares

(you)

Georgia tech
>What is your major?
Nuclear engineering, phd
>What is your GPA?
3.9x
>How do you study?
I don't take classes.
No, phd.
>If you had the opportunity to choose another university and/or major, what would you do?
No.

Berkeley
>What is your major?
EECS
>What is your GPA?
3.9 in major
>How do you study?
Previous exams
Yes. Fun stuff
I would do MIT/Stanford EECS, but I didn't get into those. I did get into CMU SCS, which I now realize is miles ahead of Berkeley's "BabyCS" major, but at the time they wanted $66k a year. So if that was reduced to around $28-30k like Berkeley somehow, I would go there, since I'm hoping to get into academia.

No uni advice ITT or we'll get BTFO by faggots like reporting us for not following the sticky. sorry user. we can partially circumvent it by having threads like this, but no advice is allowed because shitty ass /adv/ - a relationship advice board exists.

NO ADVICE.

I'm going to act like every single person in this thread:
>MIT
>Physics/mathematics
>4.0
>I'm smart lel plebs
>ofc
>fuck no MIT RULEZ

but for real:
>NCSU
>Physics (planning on double majoring in math)
>Don't have one yet cause I'm a freshman taking summer classes (should be 4.0 after this summer)
>Doing assignments and reading
>Couldn't say but I have always loved physics so
>I wish I could go back to the beginning of high school and restart... hopefully could to go a better school

I'm going to act like you

>I'm going to act like everyone here!
>"Hurr I'm an idiot, I'm stupid!"
>"Hurrr hurrrr"
>"Did I mention you guys are stupid?"

but for real:
fuck off

A big research university in the UC system

Inorganic Chemistry/Materials Chemistry

dont have one yet

i literally am in lab all day. its like a language. you start to pick up on it when its how you communicate all the time

yeah. We study and do really cool shit, but the jobs are not as common as they used to be. so thats really demotivational sometimes.

another university? i dont know. I feel like going to grad school for any higher rank and I would feel out of my league. This is a really good place for me, also has really cool research and a short graduation time relative to other universities of this same caliber. As for another major, probably. I really love chemistry and cant imagine doing much else, but I feel like I really missed out on engineering sometimes. I was pretty bad at math in high school and went to a small private uni with no engineering program. By the time I realized im not dumb, and it was just shitty high school taught math, I was too far into my major/wasnt able to transfer into an engineering program. PhD is the next best thing for my field. They say its pretty common for chemistry majors to go from chemistry to chemical engineering grad school, but the reality is you dont get the ABET accreditation and most will reject you. I knew a chemistry major I met at a PhD visitation weekend who applied to 20+ schools (for those of you who dont know, that's roughly $3000 in application fees, maybe more) and got rejected from all of them. But i'm having a lot of fun despite the cons to my situation and I'm taking engineering classes for fun anyway because I like math and they are free now that im a PhD student. if I had to switch, maybe materials engineering? i dont know but it would probably be something in the materials science/ChemE realm.

Monash University, Melbourne
>What is your major?
Math/Physics/Mech. Eng
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
Learn most of the content during the break before uni starts.
Yeah, love maths, physics is interesting, and mech. eng is neat
Nah, I'm happy with my current undergrad course/uni. Will probably go to Melbourne University to do my postgrad studies though.

I guess I'll be honest:
Cal Poly Pomona

>What is your major?
Computer Engineering.

>What is your GPA?
I just got accepted and will start taking classes in the fall. I had a 3.71 at my CC. CPP didn't accept some of the classes and my GPA went to a 3.67.

>How do you study?

I read the notes, do the problems in the book.

I haven't done any of my classes for my major. I'll be doing two classes for my major this semester (ECE 109, 114).

Probably Mechanical Engineering.

I never said anyone was stupid. There is no possible way there are this many people on here going to top schools

University of Michigan
>What is your major?
Chemical Engineering
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
Watching videos of example problems being solved until I'm able to solve them entirely and correctly on my own
Yes, I find a good amount of the material to be pretty fascinating and I think I'll continue to enjoy it as long as it stays interesting to me
I'd potentially want to go into applied physics or "engineering physics" as some schools call it. I'm very into research and it seems more relevant to the research I've been doing so far. But that won't matter once I get to grad school anyway.

Frankly? I know for a fact there's a bunch of very smart people who browse Veeky Forums. It's hard to know.

This thread could be good if people focused less on the first three questions and more on the other ones

>chemistry
>making six figures upon graduation with a BSc

Ive got news for you, bud...

Add in some piracetam, it's cheap as fuck. Also I like to use phenylpiracetam noopept and caffeine rather than adderal, vyvanse or ritalin; it's a decent substitute.

>4.0
>3.98
>4.0
>3.8
You guys are using a 4.0 scale right? How the hell do you get a GPA that high? The max in our entire department is around 3.7.

UC Berkeley
Mechanical Engineering
I read and do practice problems.
Yes. I've wanted to work on spacecraft forever; my ambition when I was 6 was to be a MechE and it has completely met my expectations.
I would not. Indeed, I did have a choice to choose a different university.

>I've wanted to work on spacecraft forever
Why not aerospace then?

Because A) it's just a more specialized version of MechE- not a good thing at BS level and B) Berkeley has no AeroE department. For the reason mentioned previously.

Alright then.

Purdue

Math

I don't study

My major is great. Not entirely sure how to say why. I enjoy doing math.

Anywhere else. I came here for engineering, but I changed majors 2 years in. Only a 18 credits left, so it doesn't really matter at this point.

you mean the three guys out of like 12 at the time of your post? fuck off you insecure retard.

If you haven't noticed yet, a lot of us are autistic and it's basically all we do.

>Just got into UC Davis as a community college transfer
>Mech E
>3.52 at CC, start UCD in the fall.
>Start studying early during the summer. Make sure I understand every nuance of a problem.
>Yeah, not much else I can see myself doing.
>Honestly, CC is a joke. I had mental issues and made excuses for myself, never went to class, didn't do homework.I know I could have gotten into much better schools easily, and I resent that a bit.

Still, someone getting a 4.0 means they aced every single test they ever took....

Not with a curved class. Chemical engineering fluids at Purdue has exam averages of about 12%. I had a friend have an exam average of 36% and he got an A+. And this is Purdue which is famous for having no grade inflation.

But getting a passing grade with 12% means you barely understood the subject.

Brigham Young University
Geology
Most of my studies are classwork and field trips with 3-4 scientific papers a semester about what we did on those field trips and class work.
Sure. I enjoy studying the geologic history of the Earth and holding in my hands rocks that are billions of years old. Each rock tells a story.
UCLA and Film but I wouldn't find a career and have no experience so I doubt they would want me anyway. But that would kick so much ass. They have classes literally taught by men like Spielberg and Ridley Scott

Not him, but It means that the professor was a complete anal asshole and didn't have tenure.

By that logic, getting a 12 on the Putnam means you don't understand math.

Lmfao you think you'll find a career more easily in geology.

go ags

sdsu

ms applied mathematics

haven't started yet

i read and think about math problems. i make up my own problems to solve. i combine ideas until something new pops out. i sometimes calculate things by hand or computer.

i'm good at it and i have a high level of focus. i've enjoyed thinking about math since i was young. i'm obsessive. i enjoy collaborating on mathematics. i feel oppressed by school and that's a crummy feeling.

i'd live a totally different life... english or lit at a liberals arts college.

I don't know if that's a fair assessment since anyone graduating with a degree in film at UCLA is set for life. They can work in television or make commercials for good money if they can't find a dream job in Hollywood, also video games if they really want. UCLA is a world renowned film school the hard part is getting in.

While geology is a major you simply need to declare and BYU is a decent school. There is also a great need for geologists, especially as the world's resources are consumed and so few people are going into geology programs to fill the need.

So yeah, I will find work, not a guaranteed job like a film student from UCLA but I have great chances.

Nope. He has tenure. engineering.purdue.edu/ChE/people/ptProfile?id=4239

No. It means the professor only writes incredibly difficult problems and gives almost no partial credit. My real analysis teacher landed a solid 40% average on our first exam with a 30% median. Tons of people got 0s and everyone that broke 70% knew real analysis before taking the class.

>Graduate Students
>Vishrut Garg
>Pritish Kamat
>Sumeet Thete
I guess the pajeet meems were true.

>University of PLACE

>Mathematics

>3.7

>I pay close attention to detail (literally the only thing that matters) in class and then I just review specific topics when they come in tests, usually the very same day the test is due. Mathematics is a weird subject because honestly if you already understand a theorem then you gain nothing by re-reading it again or applying it again in a different problem. You either know the theorems or you don't. You either can prove a theorem or you can't, Studying in mathematics is always just reviewing. You review theorems for your applied classes where you are expected to apply the theorems and you review definitions for your pure classes where you are expected to prove the theorems.

>Holy fuck math is objectively the best degree you can possibly get, at least if you are someone like me. First, it is really comfy. I have not once felt under pressure. Second it is just fun.

>I probably wouldn't. Everything is alright the way it is. I like the mathematics program in this university and I like mathematics itself so there is nothing to change.

>Studying in mathematics is always just reviewing.

How is this bait? I mean, what do you know about math and if you are also majoring in math then tell me how your method is different?

Every time I have to study I just re-read theorems and definitions from my notebook that I know are relevant for the test. I have never had to study in the sense that I would study chemistry back in highschool where I would read entire chapters and try to do as many practice problems as I could.

Do you?

breh youre living my dream. did you do any programming aside from C? how do i increase my chances of getting in?

it really sounds like you haven't encountered difficult subjects yet

much of harder math is about technique, knowing how to apply the appropriate results and combine them together. I don't know how you'd learn this without doing exercises.

>>What university do you attend?
Texas Tech
>>What is your major?
Physics
>>What is your GPA?
>>How do you study?
I read the chapter then do all the practice problems
>>Do you enjoy your major? Why?
Not really. I just stopped giving a shit about physics.
>>If you had the opportunity to choose another university and/or major, what would you do? Why?
University no. I fit in very well here. Major yes.I wish i did ee. Its way more interesting, and the research is cooler. Im doing an ee phd next year.

>I don't know how you'd learn this without doing exercises.

I do practice for my tests but I only do proofs, not exercise in the common sense. My philosophy is that if I can prove the theorem I can apply it and this has worked every time for now. Tests are always a mix of proving and solving just so you know.

That said, I am still in my freshman year so I suppose you are right when you say that I haven't encountered difficult subjects.

>how do i increase my chances of getting in?

Well, I had all the Math and GE done. In other words, I had the 60 credit requirement and the golden four completed.

cpp.edu/~admissions/advising/impacted-majors.shtml?nav=undergrad

Essentially fulfill the impacted majors requirement and have at atleast a 3.5 GPA should have a high chance of getting in. Getting into this school shouldn't be too hard to get in compared to to CP SLO, UCLA, etc.

I know what you mean. It's a good philosophy to understand things and then go from there to specifics. But things are going to get harder and harder to understand. Proofs of difficult theorems often won't be very illuminating by themselves, and you're going to have to do a bunch of exercises (read: related proofs that clarify and complement the techniques used) to really start understanding the material.

In any case, make sure to work hard and don't ride on your talent. If you're very comfortable, push yourself. You can do much more than what's asked of you, and you should.

>did you do any programming aside from C?

I did a C++ class at a community college, but it did not transfer to CPP. Actually, none of the community college engineering classes transferred, so I did not take any of them at the CC level. I just stuck with the Math and other GE classes.

How's the raider rash?

I got a scholarship to Japan, from a shithole country. Starting 1 year japanese course in Japan in april, then after that gonna do either ME, EE or Math in the University of Tokyo.

That's not even a real school

>as well.
You're the only one with aspergers. See, the other guy brushed off your rude response. You on the other hand probably shit your diaper because of his calm demeanor.

think what you want

ill spend a total of 3 years here skipping all the GE crap and go directly into the work force

>Heidelberg university
>Medicine
>Its on a pass/no pass basis, but i suppose it wouldn't be very high, got in on a 4.0 though
>check presentations, copy important shit from there and from wikipedia, i cap it at 1 and a half hours of studiyng at a time, i've gone up to 7.5 hours a day but i'm usually inconsistent, like 2-3 days a week
>it's the only thing i ever found interesting besides physics, which isn't a realistic way to provide income
>probably still medicine but in my home country, cause it would be about 10 times easier

Try reading what you reply to.

University of Central Oklahoma

Mechanical Engineering

My habits have changed over-time. In the beginning I didn't have an effective method and made only decent grades. Towards the middle of my curriculum I became became methodical with note taking and diligently doing my homework, and ended up making dean's honor roll for three-semesters. Now towards the end, I kinda don't give a shit and just take notes but don't read them later.

Yes, I just really like tinkering, also I have the potential to get my master's in something like aerospace engineering.

I would like to be at a different university as our entire engineering department shares the same building with biology, physics, and chemistry. We don't have a machine shop capable of manufacturing any complicated parts. Meanwhile in the flagship university of my state, the engineering department is the size of my college's entire campus. On the plus size, there are plenty of people getting jobs at Boeing and other fortune 500 companies with a degree at my university, and because tuition is so low, I have no dept.

Berkeley doesn't have an aerospace department?

I think I have like a 2. something now

uh oh

Northwestern
>What is your major?
Chemistry
>What is your GPA?
3.4sumthin
>How do you study?
Mixture of cramming and old test papers
Not particularly, I decided lab research wasn't for me so wading through 20+ hours of labwork a week for class junior year was brutal
Still love Northwestern, but I'd transfer to the school of social policy which is relatively a cakewalk.

>University of Texas
>Mechanical Engineering
>4.0
>read the book, show up to class, do the practice problems
>tbqh mechanical is really interesting. You get to see how pretty much anything works
>same major, maybe a school in less of a meme city than Austin

>>What university do you attend?
Liberty University
>>What is your major?
Computer science
>>What is your GPA?
>>How do you study?
I go to the library and study by myself or with friends
>>Do you enjoy your major?
Yes
>> Why?
I don't know.
>>If you had the opportunity to choose another university and/or major, what would you do? Why?
I probably wouldn't make it anywhere else, but I always wanted to go to VT. Honestly though I'd like to go to any accredited school other than LU, I consider it my punishment for being a poor student.

UCLA
>What is your major?
Undecided - probably biology on a pre-med track
>What is your GPA?
Not yet
>How do you study?
Combination of reviewing notes and looking up videos/practice problems online
Not really. I hate dissections and the smell of formaldehyde, but I want the money if I manage to become a doctor
Stanford for the prestige and the research. I would've taken physics since I had some really great experiences with it in the past. Not to mention Stanford's particle accelerator.

All the "online" degree holders i've worked with are dumb as they can be

TAMUCC

>What is your major?

Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering

>What is your GPA?

>How do you study?

read & highlight book, read notes, read book again, do as many problems as possible

Yes. It will give me many options upon graduation

I like my majors and if I went to a school that wasn't shit I wouldn't be able to do both and maintain my GPA.

SUNY (Not joking)
>What is your major?
Physics
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
At this point I'm working on my capstone so mostly reading
I enjoy applying it to my job as an engineer (again not joking)
Probably not

In what way were you considered exceptional? Did you do anything in particular during your high school career or do you think it was mostly your grades?
Still bitter that I didn't get in...

This is my dog.
Say hi to my dog.

Melbourne Uni
>What is your major?
Economics/finance bachelor, master of Eng postgrad
>What is your GPA?
>How do you study?
Consistently, don't leave it till the last minute
Yeah it's ok, I'm pretty much guaranteed an 80k starting job at a finance consultancy. I wanna go into engineering, but this means I'll have to take a pay cut.
Nope, best uni in the country and extremely employable.

>he's doing it for the money
You'll probably suicide in a few years

Nope. Not for undergrad, at least. You could also Google this

UNC-CH

>What is your major?
Stats, Econ

>What is your GPA?

>How do you study?
Depends on the professor. Always cater studying methods based on the professor.

Meh. It's ok. It's somewhat challenging, and I enjoy that, but in terms of liking the actual material, it's pretty dry

I'm pretty happy with my school choice. In terms of major, maybe something to do with physical therapy and sport mechanic, but my current major is hopefully laying the groundwork for what I want to do in the future. PT is a backup career option though

Caltech

>What is your major?
Physics

>What is your GPA?
3.5 (but going up, had a lot of personal problems two years ago, voluntarily took some time off, and am now doing really great)

>How do you study?
Read read read. Work on the problem sets early and often. Try to get to office hours when I can.

Yeah, physics is pretty awesome, and it's a flexible enough major here.

Stay, keep doing exactly the same thing.