Post your calculator

Post your calculator

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank–Nicolson_method
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I get a graphing calculator desu

fucked up rotation, sorry

kind of glad it uses batteries instead of solar power like some newer calcs I use

i havent used a graphing calculator since AP calc

>no tactile feedback
I can use my physical calculator without looking

Can you do that on your touchscreen?

I don't even know how to properly use a calculator.

This is why I despise tablet computers.

Never understood calculators. It's probably some triple layered ironic thing that you need to have autism to understand. I use this like any sane person would.

>TI

Get a scientific

How is ti-36x pro for my engineering courses

Overpriced, you can get a Casio for half it's price

Well at least it's only 20 dollars.

There isnt a scientific calculator that can calculate triple integrals in a timely fashion is there?

I love these

>casio
>cannot get even simple arithmetic right

Maybe you shouldn't study if you cant even put a hundred bucks to a good calculator.

Literally middle school tier.

>Needing a calculator for simple arithmetic.
lol Americans...

my mind

You avoid this by proper use of parenthesis.

i would have bought one other than this but almost all other calcs are banned

Why waste time? Its faster with calculator.

>simple arithmetic
>faster
Kek

Don't you fucking kek me you fucking little piece of shit. You little underage frogposter faggots and your fucking keks. You are one lonely fucker with no friends. Fuck you

this is a good copy pasta

Graphing calculators are a meme.

Anything you can't do with a scientific should be done on a computer.

I've literally been using the ti 30xa since highschool. That was 9 years ago.

Sadly not, I actually wasted 5 minutes of my life to think of what to type up. Also not to mention I pinned this thread so I could turn my phone on and check this thread every 30 minutes for a reply to my post because I'm curious about the reactions I'm gonna get. And oh wait, I'm also a newfag XDDDDDDDDDDD

Every single USA engineering student on Veeky Forums will have this while the UK engineering students will have the casio fx-115es plus

>calculators
how's undergrad treating y'all

I wanted to buy this one, but ended up buying the 50g instead. I figured if I needed the graphing functionalities, I wouldn't be able to use the 35s for that. Might buy one in the future once I learn RPN.

>computers
How's undergrad treating y'all

>R

Was Matlab too hard for ya?

>Matlab
Failed along the way of writing your own programming language?

>Slide ruler
How is obsolescence treating you?

>I can use my physical calculator without looking

Wow, that's going to be handy, absolutely nowhere except cheating on tests.

that is one ugly calculator

Wolfram Alpha

ugly useless shitty cancerous calculator haha

Yeah, it's been in the family since... Oh, late 90's?

I'm thinking of having it euthanized. Sick of sparkling up my calculus class.

google.com

> My parents are rich but I'm still a /v/ child

Basically it's evidence that educators in the US are incompetent:

TI basically finessed the establishment by getting them to recognize their calculators as the standard. All the big tests mention them by name and so many courses. Also, kids know they can put games on them and get away with playing them in class. This simple feature is enough to sell more calculators than you think. Some students even realize you can use them to cheat on immensely important exams, like the AP calc test, ACT and SAT.

The sad part however, is that most teachers and students can't even wrap their minds around how they work. You see all kinds of texts that shill for TI by mapping out individual button presses to perform trivial tasks. TI also sells these see-through versions of TI-84s for using on overhead projectors, and versions that connect to TVs. Imagine how useful it would be to have a handheld Z80 computer with that kind of support for a computer programming class, yet all they ever do is explain that you need to put parentheses into equations or it won't get parsed correctly.

So in the end, TI gets away with taking advantage of the incompetent educational establishment by selling legacy hardware (with a fucking z80 processor!!!) to kids for massive profits so they can cheat on tests and learn basically nothing.

had to use to in high school, and it works perfectly in college :D

Only thing that sucks about it is graphing. Finding zeros requires you to make bounds. Casio calculators find them immediately. Besides that, loved using it.

yeah, especially when i go on the table to find a zero or trace it, but you'll get use to it and see a pattern to an answer. so which one do you use most of the time?

The TI-84. I got used to it, so I just stopped using Casios. The only thing that was annoying is I had a huge math exam, around 20 pages for 2 hours, and having to place bounds only to place it wrong and have an error just pisses me off. Stuff like that is really annoying when it comes to exam where time wasting is not an option.

36x is only good because its the highest functionality calculator you can use on the FE/PE exams.

if your courses let you use a higher functionality calculator get the TI-Inspire with the CAS. i crushed heat transfer and advanced fluid mechanics with my Dank-Nicholson program. I also built dozens of little solver algorithms that helped out in other courses as well. controls in particular.

to be fair, they used to be useful. there was no user friendly, budget friendly mathematica/matlab when i was in highschool.

now, you're absolutely right. good on the TI guys though, at least they're spending the money on other cool shit.

CASIO calculators are Arch and TI is ubuntu

(OP)
I got that same one, but it's so old it's missing columns of pixels (pic related, not mine) If I turn the darkness up all the way, give it a few thumps on the table, some columns will come back temporarily. Like for a few days. Pain in the ass.

Just crack it open and fix it

I can almost guarantee it's a loose connector

Bro I feel you 100%. I have passed Calc 1, 2, & 3 and diffy q all without a graphing calculator. On my AP calc AB exam I didn't bring a graphing calculator because I never used one all year and I still ended up getting a 4 even with all those FRQs that required one. Now I'm not a genius (I'm really struggling with Physics 2) but I feel like these graphing calculators make things a lot easier since you can just plug in formulas or use programs that give you the answer to questions.

I used a TI-34 for calc 1 and chemistry, but I changed to a TI-36 Pro. The difference is marginal. In a way I actually like the other one more because it was easier to copy-paste but the trig functions are way easier on this one. The main thing for me is that it has the trig functions, logarithms/exponents, a pi and e button, multiple line input, and the basic operations. That's all I needed for engineering math. I don't need a calculator that has all these constants built into it or is able to find the determinant of a matrix even if it's convenient.

What's dank-nicholson program and how did that help you?

I bought one for $20 at officemax and a couple months later saw one at my school bookstore for $5 on sale. Honestly it's worth $20. It'll last you the rest of your life so think of it as you paying 1 cent every week you own it. It's nothing. My dad still uses his TI-36 he bought in the 90s.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank–Nicolson_method

i'm guessing you aren't an engineering major or aren't that far along in your studies, but engineers use numerical approximations for fucking everything.

>how did that help you?
it drastically reduces the "turn the crank" time on test/homework problems, and rewards you for understanding fundamentals, because you still have to know what you are doing to write a useful program.

if the problems are super hand-jammy it saves from fat fingering the algebra too.

Yeah pretty much

they also have more than enough memory to write down things

I'm civil engineering major who is finishing electricity, magnetism, electromagnetism, and optic. Will I have to deal with that stuff too? Also, do I need to learn how to program in order to do that? Or is it fairly simple?

Yeah that's crazy. You know what I was thinking the other day? Like when I was in high school all the recent AP FRQs were straightforward and easy but the ones from like the 70s up until the early 00s were hard as fuck. Couple that with the fact that they didn't have all the internet resources we do and you've got some really fucking AP classes/exams. I mean I can't even imagine getting through any of my classes without the internet, and I feel like the questions in general have gotten easier. Are kids these days getting a lot dumber or is it just me?

>civil engineering major
>Will I have to deal with that stuff too?

look up Finite Element Analysis. its essentially statics on steroids using linear algebra and PDE's.

>Also, do I need to learn how to program in order to do that?

you should learn how to program anyways. coming out of engineering undergrad without programming skills is like fucking off and not getting an internship. i cannot overstate this.

12 bucks at walmart. would recommend

I don't have to take PDEs or Linear Algebra, so I probably won't have to do that hopefully. I'll probably learn to program stuff in Mathcad or Matlab or whatever it is. Good stuff man. Thanks for the heads up though. Appreciate it.

>so I probably won't have to do that hopefully
no, you will. but they will fly through the proof and just teach you the mechanics of how to use the equation.

Oh strength of materials yeah. Okay so then it'll be like algebra where they don't teach you why some stuff works until you learn calculus. Alright I see.

I've been using this bad boy since high school, once you go natural display you don't go back.

At my school we weren't allowed to use graphical calculators, just very basic ones. Even back then I thought it was a good thing. When I started studying at university I knew someone who was allowed to use a graphical calculator back in school (it was some huge device that could even do some symbolic stuff). At the beginning he was kind of bragging with it, thinking it's an advantage to have learned how to use that thing. In reality, it made him skip really basic stuff in calculus, i.e. he didn't know what the integral of 1/x is, or sin(x). He would ask these things over and over and panicked when the exams came closer and it was clear that he was not allowed to use that calculator.

Ti-36x Pro > fx-991EX > Ti-89 >>> Ti-nSpire

36x Pro has the most efficient button layout and does 99% of anything I need, but is by far the slowest and least accurate on more complicated computations than the rest.

991EX is incredibly quick for a scientific calculator and all around very impressive, but I hate the button layout, and the fact it resets its memory when powering off.

Ti-89 feels great to use, is powerful and versatile with tons of customization, and only gets used whenever something is too much for the 36x Pro, but I'm not around a computer with Matlab.

Ti-nSpire is just shit. Takes forever just to turn on, buttons feel terrible to use and the tiny combined buttons are just asking for mis-clicks. Less customization ability than the Ti-89. Trying to use the D-pad just ends up activating the shitty touchpad and makes navigating slow and painful.

>Might buy one in the future once I learn RPN.
The only thing to "learn" about RPN is to develop intuition for the right order of calculations.

10/10, it even has built-in physical constants and unit conversions.

shout outs to this calculator, it's where I learned programming.

you shut your whore mouth

>without looking

What's the point? It's not like you'll be able to see the answer

HP Prime on my phone

This, I got my first graphing calculator recently and it's a total fucking waste of money, holy shit. The best calculator is dem 15 dollar casio ones you get at walmart that do simple shit for when you're too lazy to open up your computer.

>easy to carry
>dedicated buttons
>not so text based

Graphing calcs have their place. Overpriced though.

fucking heretic

RPN or die

in the era of iPads (sounds like a feminine hygiene product, btw) and laptops, who actually still uses a fucking calculator?

Yeah I always thought that was weird. Anything the most expensive graphing calculator can do I can do on my phone, along with many other things.

It's smaller than a laptop, and faster to use for simple stuff. I've never got the point of graphing calculators though, when I need to graph something I find it easier to get my laptop and run gnuplot, or write a program for something more complicated.

fun fact: did you know that gnuplot has absolutely nothing to do with GNU?

I know. Why would that matter? It makes good looking plots.

No CAS but still great

>>

Hey I have that one too

go back to bed grandpa

>MATLAB
>any day of the year
kek

I've used a slide rule app on my phone, and I'd still use it if the touch screen wasn't so inaccurate. Among other things, it helped me calculate why I don't have a girlfriend.

you're*

My dick, I can do infinite precision addition and subtraction by modulating neural activity and hormone levels.

What was that one calculator you guys were circle jerking about few months ago? Could do like everything except integrals or something and was on low cost but low-tech looking as well

What would I do with a graphing calculator? I can do simple arithmetic, and if I'm doing a lot of it I might as well just use a computer. I'm sure as shit not using it to graph things when there are good alternatives. What's the purpose?

I've got a TI-84+ and a TI-30X IIS
but the TI-30X has really "sticky" buttons and it's annoying.

Any suggestions on something between the TI-30X and a graphing calculator? (has to be school legal, of course)