Chemistry isnt sciense

chemistry isnt sciense

quality thread

no it's art.

no wonder jobs for chemists dont exist

>after the role of a lifetime I've been "busy" lmao

bit butthurt
t. chem undergraduate

Explain. Not that I care, I'm an astronomy student working on my BS in physics, but are you kidding me?

Chemistry is just stamp collecting. "Oh look, I discovered a new molecule for our large list of molecules, how exciting..."

Haha ye

>tfw Veeky Forums convinced me to stay in chemistry after my first year instead of computer science
>tfw I finished top of my program and got experience with professors
>tfw I graduated over a year ago and can't get a job that's remotely related to chemistry while I work retail
> Meanwhile my brother graduated with comp sci and had 3 job offers before he even finished.
> He started at 85k a year, over triple what I make.
>Cousin makes more than me at his summer placement after 1 year of uni in comp sci

Why did I fall for the chemistry meme?

ye, chemistry is a meme

Chemistry is literally the dumbest path, desu. No jobs, no nothing, niggas. No women, no money.

Have fun being a high school teacher

Do you have bsc, msc or phd?

BSc

well there's your problem

every job is literally PhD minimum + 1000 years experience
if I get a PhD it'll make literally zero difference

because every job is PhD minimum, getting a PhD will literally make zero difference

ye xD

Look at it this way, you only wasted 3 years.

You didn't fall for the chemistry meme, you fell for the "taking life advice from Veeky Forums is a good idea" meme.

If you were actually top of your class, then you should be able to get a job in your field. You sound lazy more than anything.

I know a lot of my TAs have just graduated and can't find a job. Even if I could it would take another 5 years and the job security and pay is still shit.

Idk if it's worth going back for another undergrad or just to try self teach myself more programming. That or teachers college but fuck chem is shit.

If you didnt like chem then whyd you do it?

Im a fucking undergrad and already have an offer for a company that makes enzymes

I love doing chemistry but I mean in terms of getting a job it's bad. The only jobs my class mates have that are in chem are lab techs for a dollar or two above minimum wage

They are doing there career wrong then.

>in terms of getting a job it's bad
If you live in the middle of nowhere, yes. Otherwise, you have no excuse. You need to search harder.

You must suck at your work. My cousin is a Chemist who works with polymers. He had a salaried lab position before finishing his masters, and multiple 150k+ offers before finishing his Phd.

Idiocracy is real, and this weab is proof.

>actually, all weabs are

lol'd

you should just get out of chemistry and leave people like me, who are already neck deep in their PhD studies, the scraps of any jobs left. and please quit making threads like this. it just depresses me. At least im studying a niche subfield in chemistry which has good job opportunities. no im not telling you what it is.

did you ever once bother to look at the possible jobs you could apply for throughout your undergrad career?

something computational or related with actinides

nope

but my undergraduate research was in computational chemistry. its boring work and i actually dont see many people making a career out of it. its more of a tool in the chemistry world than a subject to dedicate yourself to. if be computational chem you mean: im going to learn to code as well as someone in CS and im going to learn and apply all of the computational programs in chemistry, then maybe. but i dont see many opportunities for those types anyway.

not true
but if you go chem you'll probably be working for waste management or some shit, and they'll probably only hire you because they can't do their own ph calculations.

user
do comp sci and make DNA computers now

can't argue with that.

You should make drugs user.

Where do you live user?

I carry a "Proud to be a Chemist" card I got from an ACS event in my wallet everyday . _.

Why don't you go for chem eng/pharma OP?

Stop making dumbass excuses for your shortcomings, be a man and solve the problem.

._ .

Can Physics major find job more easily than Chemistry?

Radiochemistry

this OP, I think you are lazy and haven't found a job because you haven't applied in enough places

Honestly, it is.
The B12 Synthesis certainly was a work of art.

This is the wrong board to ask that kind of question

Most people here are undergrads, with a few PhDs mixed in, and have no concept of what the real world is like.

Additionally most of them are pretty talentless, but since you're here as well I'm not going to assume you are any different

is it total synthesis f4m?

>what is big pharma

>no im not telling you what it is

pretty please?

nein

I mean, I'm a chemical physics major and some parts of chemistry are akin to biology where the material is just memorize this, but other parts are as legit as physics.

It really depends on your university and the courses you choose to take. Chemistry can be as much of a science as you want.

so called chemists of Veeky Forums

what molecule is this

nerve gas obvi.

DON'T ASSEMBLE A MODEL LIKE THAT IT MAKES MUSTARD GAS

Some organic shit with suphur and oxygen and nitrogen
Who even cares

2 ez

nope, that's like sentencing yourself to death in terms of jobs. fucking walter white, the poster child for failed, brilliant chemist had a degree in radiochemistry

haha you got me! :^)

This is actually a legit concern of mine that could be worth years of my life, so no. Not even for trolling purposes on Veeky Forums.

> Doesn't understand what chemists do
> Is it, like cataloging stuff?

>Mustard
VX is a mustard agent as much as cerebral palsy is a scab.

Is biology better than chemistry?

Plz I want to know

get a phd in math

Just about anything is better than biology unless you are doing genetics.

>b8

kek

What's the point of chemists - when computers can do the most work.

And much of the breakthroughs in the field are due to computer simulations.

What's the point of mathematicians
What's the point of physicists

Computers are coming for everyone, don't fool yourself

That's a good thing. We would need specialized operators then.

Or people that think mathematically but only in computer code.

what do you think chemists/material scientists do?

im into computer simulation for pharmacy, we optimize the code. then (outside of christmas holiday) we rent servers from amazon and search for new medical agents by trying out every combination

Science is lab coats and beakers. Chemistry does all of these things.
Ipso fatso, science is chemistary.

If you go into chemistry expecting to get a 6-figure job with a BS then you've fucked yourself.

>This is actually a legit concern of mine that could be worth years of my life, so no. Not even for trolling purposes on Veeky Forums.

ok user, whatever it is, good luck with it

Chemistry is the only relevant science.

I don't think the chemistry degree is a meme. It's a solid degree that provides a good base in the discipline, but it's not specialized. IMO, you need to specialized in your upper-level coursework and perform research in your sub-discipline of interest. If you want to stay in science, those two things are what get you to the next level -- work in research, grad school, etc.