MATHS

Relearning mathematics

Hey everyone, just wondering what the best route for me is when it comes to relearning everything from basic high school mathematics up to a college level.

I never had the best teachers during high school and I guess I lacked motivation then, but now I'm very interested in getting a strong understanding of the field and I just need a study path to follow.

I know there a tonnes of resources like Khan academy etc. But what do you suggest? Thanks for your time.

Just start with Calculus. All the trig, geometry and algebra that you need to know will show up. Say you get stuck with a trigonometry concept, look it up. You kill two birds with one stone this way. Math is best learned intertwined: it becomes real this way and much more intuitive.

That's how I did it. I sucked at math, so I started at Calculus.

That actually seems like a really great way of learning Math, I think I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

>this
I would begin with the intuition behind functions then starts with limits, then derivatives, then integrals and begin to piece how they all fit together. It's never too late user.

I disagree. Do all of the algebra one and two lessons on khan academy first. It will only take a month or two but it will give you practice manipulating equations, graphing, and trig. Don't be a perfectionist, just get practice every day. If you aren't retarded just being self motivated will make math easier.

Then jump head first into calculus. Find a lecture on youtube and work along with it. Do the odd numbered problems in the book.

Okay so algebra first then calculus, got it! Thanks!

You may start with this, however it's possible to begin learning calculus and while learning algebra intuitively by working out problems. This is what I did as, I was an idiot in high school and did terrible in Algebra before discovering the true beauty of mathematics

Your method sounds really interesting to be honest, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you decided to hop back in to maths?

You're likely to become discouraged with this method. That's fine if you can handle that; it's just a heads up.

Hmm if learning algebra first will save me from depression and potential suicide I might go for that then

If you're not good with algebra, then definitely start with that.

This is me: I didn't immediately start with Calc. I did some review of Algebra basics and learned some very basic trig. From there, I started watching videos on Calculus and studying from multiple simple books (not textbooks just simple no bs books)

Why do you want to relearn mathematics, you will forget them again again anyway if you will not be using them in your life.

Let's figure out something more fun you to do, like playing guitar, or sports, a girlfriend maybe?

>playing guitar
baby shit, I already play bass

>sports
easy as hell, I play football

>a girlfriend
I've only had one, maybe you're right.

>Algebra I lessons
That's actually pretty unnecessary, especially considering that half the content in Algebra II ends up reteaching you a lot of what you learn in Algebra I such as finding roots of polynomials, factoring, and other stuff such as dividing rational expressions. If OP can do all of that or not, he's still fine. But what he should really focus on in Algebra II are logarithms and trigonometry. He could skip stuff like systems of linear equations and etc because that's just simple algebraic manipulation that he most likely already knows how to do.

Read my reply to user above. If you're not a slow learner, then cramming all the Algebra II lessons in Khan Academy should only take you ~4 weeks at most. This is me assuming that you will spend at least 2 hours everyday on it.

What if I've forgotten really basic things like high school geometry, I've forgotten most of the equations we were taught. Should I just start from Algebra 2 and forget about everything else?

All this time posting, and you could have started Algebra 2 on Khan Academy! Try algebra 2, it it's a little slow, try algebra 1 :)

Why do you want to play guitar? You will forget it, and you will certainly never use this skill in real life.

Why do you want to play sports? You gain an hour of adrenaline, and then everyone forgets about it forever. You will never be asked to throw a ball in real life.

Why do you want a girlfriend? She will dump you, and then you will never see her again. Useless in real life.

I'm relearning with the intent to get a solid foundation before diving in to programming, the problem solving aspects and many areas in mathematics goes hand in hand with programming.

So yes, I will be using mathematics in my life.

ive read that njwildberger has a great trig primer serirs on youtube. Im going through his foundation series now and just started geometry/trig. Hes didactic as fuck. Just take note and do at least what he says plus more, youll learn it fast.

Thanks for the resource, much appreciated!

Have you skipped geometry?
I h8 TFW you have to draw lines and polygons, every single time..

dude i forgot simple shit like the quadratic equation, im doomed

>MATHS
>S

It's fucking math. Ask any linguist you fucking degenerate.

lol

Reminder to ignore this Fedora namefag.

Newfags have no need to read through threads.

No.

x equals negative b plus/minus the square root of b minus 4ac all over 2a.
*drops mic*