Why are amphetamines and other such stimulants allowed in STEM? It's cheating. It's one of the worst kinds of cheating...

Why are amphetamines and other such stimulants allowed in STEM? It's cheating. It's one of the worst kinds of cheating. And yet their usage is completely allowed, if not encouraged. This shouldn't be allowed. Students need to be drug tested.

Is a proof derived under the influence of stimulants any less valid than one that is derived without them?

I give this post gorilla/10

>Is a race finished ran under the influence of steroids any less valid than one that is ran without them?

I give this post gorilla/10

What about caffeine? Chocolate, dried banana, etc? Ethanol, kava, B vitamins?

Where is the arbitrary line drawn between food and drug? From a pharmacological perspective, there isn't one.

the answer to your question is yes.

what is your answer to my question?

>Why are amphetamines and other such stimulants allowed in STEM?
they're not

What is the downside od amphetamines?

Doping should be banned in STEM. People who used druges should be disqualified from Nobel prizes or Fields medals.

Depletion of usable dopamine, neurotoxicity if consumed in the absence of decent levels of antioxidants, crippled divergent thinking and to an extent, working memory.

Most drugs are dualistic. You cannot bias the brain to prefer and be better at a given operation without inhibiting performance in another task elsewhere, or a different way of performing the same task. It net reduces the ability to arbitrarily shift one's mindset in very selective ways.

>Source
Went to the brink of amphetamine psychosis.

Which of these effects are permanent?

Makes no sense. Either you made a discover or you didn't, the means as far as drug use don't matter.

What was it that Feynman figured out when he got really drunk? It's a good example but I cannot recall. Ultimately drugs are little different than visiting a place or context to get yourself in a mindset, the spectrum is just wider and it's a bit more brute force.

Let's disqualify people who have sex too. All that phenylethylamine and endorphins, relaxation and sense of peace, are giving them an artificial advantage...relative... to some arbitrary notion of a default state!

Yeah, fuck you. Learn to not have disjointed opinions. STEM should ban you.

It's not cheating if you're going to do that for your entire career anyway.

Neurons that are damaged, or have apoptosis induced by free radical cascades due to dopamine autoxidation / breakdown by MAOs, and the metabolism of amphetamine itself. Neurotransmitter metabolism is very messy.

There could be persisting structural differences with chronic use as well. Don't know, all I can say is the above. I seem to have emerged without any obvious brian prollems.

of course it makes no sense. thread was probably started by a /pol/-tard
>hurrrr muh degeneracy

they are cancer.
dont forget to sage

People suck, user. I know there are some people who legitimately think this way.

I can't possibly sage hard enough to not hate the human species' myopia.

a race, yes
a drive, no

>science is a competition

School is not a contest. Doing anything to improve your performance is reasonable and should be encouraged.

"h-hey user, mind if I sleep on your couch tonight? do you have any amphetamines?"

>School is not a contest

That's not how he starts his pickup line. He usually says "My brain is open"

What about schools grade competitively? My schools math department gives grades based on your performance against your peers. This includes a grade like a 92 becoming a B instead of a A (which happened in my lin alg class last semester)

>tfw on amphetamines

I'm LMAOing at your life

What retard thought this would be a good idea? Let me guess the reasoning behind this. Humans ancestors were hunter-gatherers, therefore the were very competitive, therefore we should make modern humans act this way, to improve upon their performance. This is the same kind of stupidity behind those paleo diets.

Neurotoxicity is highly variable and dependent on dosage. In fact, for straight amphetamine, there is no evidence to suggest that dopamine neurotoxicity results from therapeutic doses in humans. We know amphetamine (and methamphetamine) abusers have clear and marked reduction in several regions of the brain, but studies on ADHD patients gone though stimulant treatment report greater brain volume and a 'normalization' effect in comparison with neurotypical brains. Not only that, but adolescents and young adults seem to have greater protection against amphetamine neurotoxicity as compared with older adults. We also don't really understand the impact of amphetamine on neurogenesis.

And we don't know if antioxidants do dick to defend against amphetamine neurotoxicity. It's speculation. It's informed speculation, but speculation nonetheless. The human studies just haven't been done yet. The best we have is rat studies showing melatonin may attenuate meth neurotoxicity.

The best advice I can give to anyone considering usage of amphetamine is keep doses low, avoid binges, eat a wholesome meal before each dose, drink water, exercise, and sleep every night.

And avoid caffeine while dosed, because caffeine may accentuate amphetamine neurotoxicity