Are there any other people who are similar to Wim Hof in terms of pushing the body into new directions?

Are there any other people who are similar to Wim Hof in terms of pushing the body into new directions?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof
TL;DR - he's a man who can control his immune system to withstand freezing cold temperatures

Other urls found in this thread:

news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html
youtube.com/watch?v=L9Cgaa8U4eY
thoughtbrick.com/wim-hof-method/wim-hof-method-power-breath-exercise-explained/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_swimming
youtube.com/watch?v=X7JO74N1Vgk
youtube.com/watch?v=fkI5b4FbBMM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When I was younger. I drove myself to madness and became functionally crippled, then slowly learned to abandon all the tools I'd developed. The rare cases I use them it's only indirectly and I retrieve the results through another layer that separates things.

I have to be very careful. Eventually I'll need to return, and reconcile my split mindedness. There are still large clusters of memory I can see, but cannot access or reclaim. My mind actively forces me out.

He uses breath meditation that is used in similar ways in several traditions, such as tummo and pranayama. The technique raises the body temperature and allows exposure to extreme conditions.

news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html

You must explain further

Interesting. Any idea which tissues are generating the heat needed to keep their body temp from dropping, and/or how they keep their extremities from losing blood supply and succumbing to frostbite?

Not But I'd guess it has something to do with fat

I practised both the Wim Hof Method and a few techniques related to pranayama with cold shower exposure. I'd recommend just trying it a few times. It is not that hard to learn and you understand it best, when you can fell it happen in your own body.
There is a strong increase in blood pressure, pulse and blood oxygen levels that boosts metabolic activity.
You can actually feel all the tissue under your skin just starting to radiate heat, especially directly under the skin.
After some time exposed to cold water like this, the cold actually can become a quite pleasant sensation.
The better you get at controlling your breath steadily, the longer you can withstand cold.

How do i git gud?

Just practice with cold exposure. Every time you shower the last thing you do is start the breathing technique and turn the shower to cold. Try to sit through it as long as possible. When you feel the cold creeping into your body, turn of the water, continue breathing and get out and dried up.

Here's a TED talk with him standing in ice and a medical review of measurements they did
youtube.com/watch?v=L9Cgaa8U4eY

Here is a explanation of the technique, enough to get you started
thoughtbrick.com/wim-hof-method/wim-hof-method-power-breath-exercise-explained/

How long can you stay exposed to cold? And how cold?

It is really a matter of getting used to it. The longer you make it regularly, the longer and colder you can handle.

I haven't really trained seriously for some time.
I think the most demanding I did was swimming in high mountain streams and lakes below 4°C for something up to 10 minutes (never really kept time).

When you feel your extremities loosing sensibility and pain coming in, it's time to stop.

I should really take up practising again :P

Preferably use water above 15 celsius. And exposure your progressively each week so that you don't catch a cold nor knock out your muscles.

Motivation is hard part. You literally have to think your life is shit on a daily basis in order to do this.

> catch a cold
> from exposure to a cold environment

Get the fuck out you pseudoscience shit stain

That sounds pretty cool, gonna practice in shower!

But why must I think poorly of my life?

He didn't exactly say you catch it from exposure to a cold environment. The cold virus does live easier in cold temps.

Because the opposite, thinking you have a good life, is insufficient to lead you to the painful daily process of Adapting your body to heat up in cold environments.

Are you new to basic medical knowledge?

That's a stupid thing to say.
You don't need to be miserable to dedicate yourself to something and go through with it.

Because it's different, doesn't mean its stupid. I actually understand what hes talking about.

Yes, it can be an relevant motivational factor
Saying your life HAS to suck in order to do something like this is stupid.

You feel absolutely great after a cold exposure btw. the whole body is boosted and you just drown in endorphins.

>Saying your life HAS to suck in order to do something like this is stupid
Agreed, but he didn't say that. He only said you have to think your life is crap.

>You feel absolutely great after a cold exposure btw. the whole body is boosted and you just drown in endorphins.
And then there's motivation like this. I'm really pumped to try it out now!

Holy shit I just did what you said after taking cold showers for a year and a half and it doesn't feel torturous anymore, genuinely thank you bro!Will check out more of this ice man guy.

>torture
>every time you take a shower
>for a year

exposure to cold environments impairs your immune system and makes it easier to be infected

Stop being gutter trash, would you kindly.

What is it?

Dutchfag here, this guy actually got hospitalized once when he went swimming in a pond during the winter, and got stream of cold water from a fountain in his ass. No one took him seriously here after that.

LOL

wat

lol yea I didn't say that quite right.I have mental issues and cold showers help more than normal showers, because after normal showers I feel like shit, but after cold showers I feel normal for a while even if it's for a short time.There are studies about how cold showers are better for people with mental problems check em out if you are interested.

Thanks bud. I know now I'm not alone in this shit.

Oh, what mental problem(s) do you have?

I don't. I just have a fucked up behavior since I was 5yo. I don't know about the other user though.

ITT: idiots getting hypothermia in their shower thinking they have super powers

>that damage control

that guy is pretty funny
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_swimming

What beneficial consequences will I get, if I try this?

>control his immune system
>to withstand freezing cold
The immune system (resistance to disease) has virtually nothing to do with resistance to cold.
Lrn2immune-system fgt pls

youtube.com/watch?v=X7JO74N1Vgk
This so called fire Yogi comes to mind. I doubt very seriously that he has become resistant to fire but his pain tolerance must be amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=fkI5b4FbBMM
There is also static apnea which is legitimate but inundated with pure oxygen breathing sissies who confuse things.