I just got my letter of acceptance into a medical university

I just got my letter of acceptance into a medical university.
So...medicine people here...how much worse was medical school compared to what you expected. I did the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, so I got used to being overworked over the last two years. If any of you have done it also comment on what you thought of the transition.

1. this is Veeky Forums. medicine is not science, it's healing with the help of the tools science gave you. stop acting otherwise.
2. you think you know being overworked because you did the international bac? wew lad.

>medicine is not science

That's why I asked to what extent it was more difficult by comparison dipshit. I know it's nowhere near the same workload, but I sure as shit am aware IB has a heavier workload than average highschool programs.

>the method is kinda scientific, so it must be science

science:
1. have theory
2. make experiment to falsify it

medicine:
1. have patient
2. treat

now don't give me this shit about developing meds n shit, first of all that's not what you'll be doing, second that is biology and chemistry, not medicine.

also
>wikipedia

If engineering can be discussed then so can medicine

for trade school discussion

average highschool programs have a workload?
all kidding aside though, my understanding is that medicine is one of the tougher ones. i can't tell you in hours/week, but expect to sacrifice large amounts of social life.

that would be correct if engineering could be discussed
i know it is, but whether or not it should be i don't know. maybe Veeky Forums lacks a board for engineering. i have long been of the opinion that it lacks one for programming and CS topics, even though the more mathematical CS stuff is fine to be here i guess.

Fair enough. I understand medicine can't even be compared to highschool that's why I just wanted to get a general idea of what people experienced. I don't think the whole social life thing will be as large of an issue since I'll be moving to a new city, won't know that many people to begin with.

>Arguing with definitions

>Being this pedantic.

How about raising your poor self-esteem instead of lowering the value of public disclosure?

>I did the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, so I got used to being overworked over the last two years

lmao I also did IB and they told me that everything afterwards would be a breeze.
Unless you study some bullshit subject at a shitty college that's blatantly untrue.
Enjoy your tears and fucked up sleep schedule for the next 4 years!

I like how IB students still mention they did IB in HIGH SCHOOL. Do you also mention you're an IB student in your resume? Lmao oh oh oh

Are you in Europe?

I finished college with a degree in chemistry 9 years ago with straight Bs. If I wanted to try to get into a med school, would I be able to? I don't have ANY volunteering or work experience in the field.

You realize you're going to be dealing with the worst of society and dying old people for 80 hours a week for 20 + years of your life?

Go back /pol/ with all the cops and fire fighters.

Personally I'm an MD-PhD student and I am fairly certain you have no idea what the medical sciences are.

Ignore all the faggots, Veeky Forums is the board for medicine, and we have plenty of medfags here. There is usually a resident med-thread.
Regarding the workload of med-school, it heavily depends on your country and your university. It also heavily depends on whether you are aiming to get A's or just keep your head above the water.
If you are doing the 4-year program (USA, Canada, etc.) it's fairly intense and competitive throughout to my understanding. Six year programs (most of Europe, Japan, etc.) generally have some horrible years and some better years. In my university we have an easy first year, then 4 very intense years, and the final year is mostly exams. Some med-schools are easier to get to but offer a very challenging first year to filter out students.

Personally I was in my country's military before med-school. We had a 15-hour workday and only got off every other weekend, but it was nothing compared to the difficulty of my studies. I am an MD-PhD student, so I had to finish an M.Sc. in parallel to the second and third years, and also keep my grades above 90, which made for a nearly unbearable workload. Currently taking a 2-3 year break for research, which is really relaxed and enjoyable.
Friends of mine who are just looking to pass generally had some difficult periods, but most of the time was not unbearable. Since the average age of starting med-school here is 24-25, many people have families and have to work to support themselves, and everyone managed.

I just got to Wrocław mad uni (Poland). I'm extremely happy, but at the same time I'm aware, that in next 6 +2 years I will have to cut down on social life

I'm going into medical school and will probably be going into it for pharmacology or virology. Any tips on surviving the hell? Any advice on better fields?
I'm not looking for career advice but if you want to open my eyes to new fields please do. I have also tossed around the idea of MD psychiatry but I don't know if I can see myself working in that field, and I'd rather do something more research oriented.

You should only go into Med-school if you are looking for an MD. Regarding research, there is plenty of research opportunities for doctors in all fields, especially clinical research. If you are looking for something more lab orientated, it's still an option in all fields, but more common for neurologists, infectious diseases, geneticists, pathologists, etc. Many doctors combine both clinical work and research (there are even designated MD-PhD programs in all med schools these days).
But again, if you are looking into research without the clinical side, you probably shouldn't go into med school.

I appreciate your answer. Didn't mean to come out as stuck up with the whole workload thing, I honestly wanted to know how much worse it got. I'm studying in Norway, University of Bergen. I doubt it's the same country as yours but still. On average how many hours a day would you say you allocated towards university related work? I would appreciate any tips on how to best start off the first year.

It actually sounds similar to my program (a different European country): 3 years pre-clinical studies, 3 years of clinical studies and a year of internship.
You should probably see people who studied in your university, for me I had a lot of time in my first year, studying generally from 08:00 to 16:00 and then 3-4 more hours of reviewing. So I had a lot of time to work, and could even spend one day every weekend barely studying, worked maybe 20 hours per week.
Second year was hell though, every day I was studying or reviewing pretty much from 08:00 to 01:00-02:00 AM, was down to sleeping 5 hours per night, and the weekends were like a continuation of the week, with shitloads of tasks (I only had 8 hours of work per week, but some of those hours were for the M.Sc.).
Third year was somewhere in the middle between those two (14 hours of work per week, and again some of the hours for the M.Sc.)

The good news is that there are always some classes you can skip and study more effectively at home. Personally most of our classes were filmed, so I always watched the video at double speed and saved a lot of study time.

I have been on a research break since, but from what I've been seeing from my friends, the clinical years are a lot more normal. You generally have very clearly defined workhours (08:00-17:00), have to stay late maybe once a week, and don't have to do that much reviewing. Bad part is you can't really skip anything.

Again, it really depends on university and country, and how high you are aiming. I had a lot of extra work since I had to keep my grades up and finish another degree during my studies.

Making the determination to treat a person with experimental drugs and charting the outcomes certainly is science.

They help biomedical companies out with the end goal. They're the tip of the spear.

I'm still not sure if I'd rather work in the clinical or lab environment. I value seclusion, but I also love interacting with people. Yet again, I'm notably bad under extreme stress, so I doubt science or even medicine is the right field for me.

>: 3

Kys

Whats more scientific?
Medicine, biology or comp. Sci?

there is research in medicine too
i seriously had enough with the math and engineering shitposters
please stop RIGHT fucking now

So where do you go to talk about medicine then genius? Also, medicine is based on biology, which is a science, regardless of what you think. Most med schools require a biology degree. Moreover, why wouldn't medicine be a allowed if engineering is? Both are based on the application of science. Go home you fucking autist.

Have fun wiping the asses of 80 year olds for the next 9 years.

Do you know the difference between doctors and nurses?

There is very little stress in research IMO. In medicine it really depends on the specialty, but you have many stressed years until you finish your residency regardless.

>research in medicine
>"i wonder if i could transplant a heart"
>"holy shit, it worked"

that's biology and chemistry you're thinking of. medicine is to them like programming is to computer science.

that's a good point, yes. "engineering research" is also just very, very specific physics (or other, like bio/chem) research as well.

i was maybe a bit overzealous with my comments, but i seriously do not see medicine any differently than engineering or programming, which in my opinion unless offering a debate about the science behind their subject matter do not belong here either.

Already? Shiiieeet I'm still working on my secondaries.

>MD-PHD

Sweet how far into the program are you?

Doctors examine the asses of 80 year olds.

the problem is
you go ahead and even say medicine is not science, and be more of a fucking fool to argue with definitions

4th year right now, still a way to go.
Tru dat. A professor of mine once said "the only situation which doesn't call for a rectal examination is when the patient has no rectum or the doctor has no fingers"
Medical sciences have plenty of research and are a sub-field in biology. Feel free to look it up. Clinical medicine to medical sciences is like programming is to computer science to make a better comparison.