I'm writing a text adventure game in C++ in SDL. Is this a waste of time or am I too based, as they say?

I'm writing a text adventure game in C++ in SDL. Is this a waste of time or am I too based, as they say?

enjoying it? good. not a waste of time then.

not sure this belongs here, but congrats you're doing something you like in your spare time mate.

I'm hoping I can sell it.

Hello>

ah. not so sure then. i would imagine selling a text based video game is hard nowadays with fancy graphics and all, but maybe you've found a niche. also i don't know much about the vidya market.

>on the internet nobody knows you're a Capybara

i mean there's atleast 1 game on steam with ascii graphics (rpg if i remember correct) so there is definitly ways for an indie developer like you to distribute your game.

this user has a point though, a regular text based adventure won't have remarkable sales.

is there anything speacial about it? is it science related at all? regular old textbased games are kinda done since the 80s

>correction
this user....

What else would be worth doing?

deleting this off-topic thread and getting a job at mcdonalds

That's what I not want to have to do.

By the looks of it you will have to.

I disagree with the negative posts in this thread

I think a text based rpg would be pretty awesome OP, its a genre that we haven't heard from in a good long while

What you should try to do is fix the problems that there where with the old text games, like how strict they where at interpreting using commands

you'd be better off just building a decent engine and selling it to an indie company. very few game devs have their own engines and most indie developers are too cheap to spring for a big name brand.

i don't think anyone here said they are inherently bad. Just that there isn't a market for it anymore.

To be honest, I would love a text based rpg. I have recently played some browser text based rpg, and I have enjoyed it more than dozens of other 'fancy' games.

The question you should be asking is
'Why am I making a text adventure game using the most powerful programming language next to a pretty okay graphics library'.

No hate there but you are not really pushing any boundaries here. You could do your text game in literally any other programming language and you'd have an easier time.

Also, you do not use graphics libraries to make videogames, you use graphics libraries to make engines. If you are going to make a videogame then just get an engine.

I am telling you this from the perspective of someone who has used SDL in the past (10/10) and just to get working I've had to write a couple of classes that can actually render stuff because with pure libraries you have to set up the entire environment for your textures to exist, when if you had an engine you would probably just have to declare a couple of pre-made objects, initialize them and then start rendering stuff inside of them.

Bad decisions there my man.

That's a guinea pig lad

Quads have spoken

this.

I'd also suggest that you post your plans in an agdg thread on vg.

I don't see any science in your post OP

It's obviously some kind of dog, bub.

Doubt you'll make much from it or anything at all
Do it for fun in your spare time instead

>I'm writing a text adventure game in C++
Cool
> in SDL
Wat

Ask

"IN" SDL

> not making your own graphics library

it's not a terrible idea, but what exactly do you mean by "text adventure game"?

do you mean something where the graphics are primarily text but the interface is either traditional controls (wasd/arrow keys, with hotkeys etc), or with buttons for movement/interaction bound to the keyboard? certainly doable.

or do you mean an old-school interactive fiction game? if you mean the latter, i would advise you to check out the current offerings for modern IF engines (Inform is probably your best bet). there's no need to reinvent the wheel by writing your own parser and it will probably be shit.

I don't know anymore, dude, I just want to build something nice that people would appreciate.

checked

everything my man

ye

> text based video game

fucking spit on my screen