Worst book covers thread

Worst book covers thread

>Portrait of As A The Artist Young James Man Joyce
Nothing wrong there.

Still better than anything recently I recall regarding Joyce's covers but still feels like they are trying to get the John Green/Perks of Being a Wallflower fanbase into reading his works or other indie type wannabes. I do like that edition of Ulysees just for all the historical information about it though and the letters.

The old Penguin one where it is just black with "ULYSSES" in white is probably the best they've ever done. Somehow makes the book feel more imposing.

/thread

I want another one of those threads

what threads

not him, but joke covers, I'm assuming.

I have this copy

I like that the yes in Ulysses is BLACKED. Implying something about 'ol Molly?

come on this is super cool

I prefer this cover.

Wordsworth general?

I get that their focus is to make cheap publications of these books but I don't understand why they go out of their way to produce these covers.

guess he just had enough

>bad cover thread
>post shops

I honestly think they want you to pirate the LNs.

this cover disgusts me

Sorry

why do you care? I'm care about the words inside the book, not the pictures on its cover.

Oh look, the obligatory e-book shill.

>putting ulysses spoilers on the cover
portrait one's fine

The recent penguin deluxe classics covers are great.

Looks like some Charles Dickens christmas shite

More like blazed

It's a reference to The Dead, arguably the best story in the set.

Back cover is neat, too.

E-books are exactly why I care about covers. Why would I pay for an ugly physical book when I can download it for free? I still buy physical books, but now I'm much more selective about what I'll put on my shelf.

Ah yes, I love "Portrait of as a the Artist Young James" by Man Joyce.

I actually made that one. Also I tried to put it up on amazon with that cover last year but they blocked it. Oh well.

Well, kudos

It's telling that they never put out an edition of Finnegans Wake.

Bummer. I found the picture on goodreads, if that's any consolation.

this cover is cool as shit

this cover is bland, but not offensive

Saw this copy in Jacob's Ladder. Reading it in the Subway. Somehow makes Tim Robbins less cooler

Pretty much all Penguin Classics. They also have horrible translations. I try to never read Penguin Classics.

Only they have Gilgamesh and Mantiq-ut-Tair. ):

You took the meme too far

Earlier Penguins before they did the new solid black spine were always great

> James MAN Joyce

nice

Vaporwave aesthetic as fuck. It looks like some 90s school math text book.

> not Al Jonson on the cover

Pass

This is great for so many reasons.

I'm a bibliophile and a materialist. Also, checkem.

bought recently

lmao this isn't real

>no tortillas depicted

faggots

Says the gay lord who posts a good book cover.

If you're so gay why don't you shove that book up your asshole or even better may I suggest Herman Melville's classic Moby's HUGE BLACK WANK

Nigga, that ain't even the worst cover. Not by far.

That looks gay

What should I look for instead of penguin classics then?

I don't get it, seems fine

I generally love NYRB but their covers feel like they try too hard and end up being bland

this just doesn't inspire me to read its contents

always hated seeing this
also think it's the wrong time period
helen frankenthaler owns

absolutely amazing

I feel like that has it's own sort of aesthetic, whereas OP (for example) is just dogshit.

Portrait of As A The Artist Young James Man Joyce?

Thank God I'm not the only one. I don't even think it's the wrong time period, the costume looks fairly Regency era-esque to me, but it's just such an irritating painting.

I think this one is worse desu

This is the copy I have. I hated it at first, but spent so much time with it that I grew to respect it. It's not an easy cover to like, which fits the book.

Video game tie-in edition of Dante's Inferno.

underrated post

this is fantastic. we're in postmodernity; I'm tired of covers matching their subject matter contextually. abstraction and thematics

>Vaporwave aesthetic as fuck.

go home /mu/

What did you say there, my friend?

haha. perfect reply.

okay you can stay.

this is actually one of my favorite cover series; wish he did one for finnegans wake though

>INTERNATIONALLY BESTSELLING AUTHOR

Jucky guys, yours bad collections are poor.

I actually quite like this one in a naughty way.

Bit offtopic, does anyone know where to get high quality scans of old scifi novels? I'm absolutely in love with that design.

ayyy I remember these pulp magazines, albeit the horror ones. John Sinclair, I think they were called? Shit was pretty good when I was a pre-teen.

whoa, is there more like this?

These are great, fuck you. The Ulysses cover not only references the "jilted Victorian" atmosphere, but has a cute reference to the book's most famous line.

>
>
>

It's not in the public domain yet, Joyce's grandson Stephen is an asshole who hates FW, and not enough normies buy it to make a mass print worthwhile.

The last printing was from '99. I'm sure somebody will print it again in a few years.

My friend owns this and I couldn't get over the fact it looks like an engineering manual

also there's no top margin in the actual book it was pretty gross

The Ulysses cover is tolerable because it has something to do with the book. It's the copy I own.

"A day or two after the trip scott brought his book over. it had a garish dust-jacket and i remember being embarrassed by the violence, bad taste and slippery look of it. it looked the book jacket for a book of bad science fiction. scott told me not to be put off by it, that it had to do with a billboard along a highway in long island that was important in the story. he said he had liked the jacket and now he didn't like it."
>A Moveable Feast- Ernest Hemingway.

>al jonson

trying too hard

pretty bad cover but the book looks beautiful