Is Cormac McCarthy actually worth reading? Or just another best-seller author?

Is Cormac McCarthy actually worth reading? Or just another best-seller author?

I noticed a few of his novels were adapted into very respectable films. Harold Bloom even topped him with Pynchon as one of the best living american writers.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

If you have to know, you'll never ask.

What did they mean by this?

I think he is general works are worth reading. But blood meridian is head and shoulders above his other works; and escapes into a class of books shared with moby dick.

The knowers know and the askers ask. If you're an asker you'll never know, and if you're a knower your don't need to ask.

The best movie adapted from his work is from one of his worst books; No Country for Old Men (in the prosefag world) reads like a film treatment. Blood Meridian deserves its recognition next to Gravity's Rainbow & the works of Don Delillo in contemporary American literature. I recently read Child of God and loved it. The Road is one of those highschool difficulty books like 1984 that still holds up later in life. The range of his works is very different, he's quite amazing and deserving of the praise he gets.

I started with Blood Meridian. It wasn't hard and I loved every minute of it. That's a pretty good indicator whether you'll find him worth reading or not.

Corncob Tortillas YeCarthy is a fucking hack.

This. Nobody but nu-males read Corncuck Cucktillas CuckCarthy.

The Road is a very human and moving novel, and is my personal favourite of the three works of his I've read.

Blood Meridian is simply an achievement though. It really is an experience that any lover of literature should endure to see what poetic heights the English language is capable of attaining.

Child of God is the least stylistically-minded in my opinion. He uses vivid description for function rather than beauty, though it evokes this feeling of raw filthiness and depravity that is beautiful and distinct from the aesthetic concern of the previous two.

Definitely worth reading in my mind, but Blood Meridian encapsulates his oeuvre.

I think he's fantastic, but I wouldn't recommend beginning with Blood Meridian. I just finished it and I'm personally quite torn on it (although there's some beautiful prose and absolutely uncomfortable sequences, not just due to its violent nature). The Kid becoming The Man towards the end of the book is fairly powerful too.

Would recommend The Road (it's his most popular by mainstream standards and probably one of his most accessible), Outer Dark and Child Of God (it's short but it humanises a character that lives on the fringe of society).

>No Country for Old Men (in the prosefag world) reads like a film treatment
That's probably because it was adapted from a screenplay.

Blood meridian will last a loooooong time. Suttree is great too, but don't listen to people who say it's better than blood meridian. Also dont listen to people who say not to start with it, life is too short to play lit like a video game.

straight up genre fiction.

Oprah-core.

literally housewife tier.

delete this

I didn't like All the Pretty Horses, but I'm hopeful for Blood Meridian and Suttree.

>it was adapted from a screenplay

We in a cringe thread now?

So you trust the opinions of Veeky Forums users more than that of Bloom?

Blood Meridian has unbearable prose and I didn't make it past the first fifty pages.

Cormac McCarthy ate a thesaurus, pooped the commas into the toilet bowl, and vomited the words onto pages.

why are you breathing my air

corncobbers pls go

how many elementary schools has boel shot up

Suttree is dope

McCarthy IS a hack. His ideas are so unoriginal. Wow, an edgy villain that represents an idea rather than a real person. Way to go Captain Ahab- er, I mean, Judge Holden.

Also nice post-apoc novel. "Me too!", McCarthy shouted, and continued to make a name for himself aping the prose of Melville and Faulkner.

No Country was only a good movie because of Javier Bardem. Outside of him it was a paint-by-numbers thriller.

CORNCOB

TORTILLAS

YECARTHY

*spits violently*

what did he mean by that

What did he mean by this?

this

worthless opinion on something you havent even read