Is there any mathematician that comes even close to master Gauss?

Is there any mathematician that comes even close to master Gauss?

Other urls found in this thread:

www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/HistTopics/The_rise_of_calculus.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

euler

John God Neumann

Galois. Too bad the fucker arranged a suicide by duel because boo hoo muh relationship. Teens.

Einstein

Boole
Leibniz

J. Barnett

/thread

B8

Cauchy

Riemann
Hilbert

Drake & Josh

No I seriously I don't understand this for all historic people.

>Predate Internet
>Predate ease access to quality teaching
>Not as many existing theories to learn from
>Just look at numbers and suddenly know shit

I have no idea how certain people came up with things.

Have you considered that they learned what was available and experimented at the frontier? Which we still do today to "come up with things"?

quality > quantity

Low hanging fruit desu

Grothendieck
Hilbert
Poincaré
Cartan
Smale
Atiya
Serre
Weil
Milnor
Thurston

You mean John "Nuking all the commies I can" Neumann?

Enrico Fermi.

>mathematician

me

lmao
this

Cantor

>I will always be too chickenshit to actually do math, I'll just read other people's work and be good at doing their textbook exercises for the rest of my life.

Cauchy was a dick.

Srinivasa Ramanujan

Paul Erdős

Archimedes

>methhead

Name one important result this guy proved.

at least he got the right ideas on how to deal with redfags

"amphetamine is good for you"

It's more like a proved a thousand semi-important results in almost every discipline of mathematics.

I feel like I'm the only one who ever posts Archimedes in these threads.

Came here to post Archimedes.
Nigga discovered Calculus in BC with only fucked up Greek geometry and notation as a tool.

It wasn't fucked up to them...

I'll admit I kek'd.

Isaac Jordan Newton

Go ahead then, name a few.
Hard mode: don't look it up on the internet

Well in hard mode, I can only name those in my field.

He proved things about infinitary combinatorics (such as the Erdős–Rado theorem), and related large cardinal hypotheses (from which he has a system of large cardinal hypotheses — α-Erdős cardinals — named after him).

John Nash
Ramanujam
Turing
Pythagoras

>implying it wasnt Newton that discovered Calculus

>implying it wasn't Leibniz who invented calculus

Imma just drop thise here: read the references
www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/HistTopics/The_rise_of_calculus.html

differential

integral

> implying it wasn't Aquinius that invented Calculus

>Implying Einstein didn't discover topological calculus

>implying Einstein didn't top your mum

>implying Einstein was a top

Double T.

Of course, he was vers.

>Implying God didn't invent calculus

Repent before it's too late.

Well, if you know anything about this guyyou would know that he believe in a god. But, not just any god. A math god. Whenever ever he found some kind of great math theorem, or something, he would exclaim "This one is from God's book of formulae'' upon which he would fall to the fall and twist, and contort in Ecstasy, while rubbing his nipples, for several hours.

EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111one1

>ruining math and physics with infinite sets

He's an incredible mathematician and a great guy, but his work lacks the scope necessary for him to compare to Gauß or his competitors in this thread.

Archimedes.

Have you even heard of Christopher Langan?

Norman Wildberger for doubting the foundations of modern mathematics

check

Shut the fuck up you pretentious douchebag. Not everyone studies the subjects you like. Tao's research hits an incredibly diverse collection of fields, it just happens not be be abstract geometry and doesn't use much category diarrhea, I mean "theory".

>and a great guy
he's a pretentious fuckwit up his own ass about all the praise he gets

Lol, Fermat was much better than Gauss.

this nigga won a fields medal and he's primarily a physicist

mochizuki

Henri Poimcaré

Archimedes was doing integrals almost 2000 years before they were invented, the absolute madman

He would actually say Archimedes is the best.

Can't wait til he proves P not equal to NP.

>Poimcare
You had one job

>Implying mathematicians don't have jobs
Then there's this idiot.

Al-Juarismi

I think I much prefer al-Khwārizmī

محمد بن موسى الخوارزمی is better

Nice elven runes

>he can't read German

I'm pretty sure that's High German, and only the select few at Nazi court, have been able to read it.

>primarily a physicist
He's 100% a physicist. He said he only studies mathematical shit for physical insight.

Fermi made lots of contributions to Probability and Paradox theories.

lel

Didn't he take methylphenidate. That's not quite amphetamine. It's just an ndri, amphetamines excrete and block.

Wew lad, you alright there? Christ almighty.

You just can't compare the impact of Tao's work to the impact of that of Hilbert, Grothendieck, Gauß, hell, even Lurie already. Tao's work is excellent, but that's just not what this thread is about.

>i'm fine with arbitrarily fucking around with fomulas until the symbols happen to line up in a useful way and not questioning the underlying relationship between patterns of manipulation
I bet you're not even an intuitionist you faggot.

That's cause string theory is purely mathematical, and it doesn't correspond to the real world. We should call him what he is, a mathematician.

Just the top of my head:

Grothendieck
Turing
Godel
Euler
Galois
Cauchy
Lagrange
Kolmogorov
Archimedes

Me.

Shakuntala Devi

>and it doesn't correspond to the real world
Calculations done in String Theory align perfectly with QFT and GR in their relevant limits. As for the quantum gravitational scale, we have no idea what that should look like anyway.

you know it

Not a single string had ever been found. It's entirely hypothetical and only exists on paper. The idea that everything is a vibration of strings and the comparison to musical notes sounds cool and all but there's no evidence that any of that is true. Can we please stop this meme of comparing science to art and music?

something something subatomic particles

Confirmed for not actually knowing any strong theory; you have no spouted the popsci version of string theory and the popsci argument against strong theory. I'm not saying string theory has been entirely proven to be true, but the fact of the matters is that the calculations are verified and there is currently no reason to believe string theory is incorrect. It has yet to be actually falsified.