I've been promoted to the head of logistics for our rapidly growing board game company...

I've been promoted to the head of logistics for our rapidly growing board game company. I need to design a warehouse for storage and distribution and have no idea what I'm doing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vxnryUe64e8
youtube.com/watch?v=JCExhpvflfE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy AMB and Nano

a retard could use sketch up

you shit , il do it for you for your coins

Start reading about lean production and some basic logistic books

It's not a matter of being able to use sketchup you retard its about designing the layout in an efficient way

How many LINK will fit in these shelves?

Lots of racking/storage space. Stack pallet loads if possible. Budget for dock space/equipment. Have at least one wall dedicated for incoming/outgoing truck doors. Powered dock levelers are your friend. You'll probably want to rent or buy a fleet of forklifts

It's a fucking board game company. OP doesn't need a forklift to flip one box of Carcasonne per day.

how the fuck are we supposed to design it for you if your only spec is "rapidly growing board game company"

You're not really, I know what I'm doing and planning I just wanted this shithole to not be infested with coingarbage for once

Oh sure OP, allow me to explain the entirety of operational logistics, warehousing, supply-chain and inventory management in one post on Veeky Forums. Just kill yourself now and spare everyone the embarrassment.

see

youtube.com/watch?v=vxnryUe64e8

> just got promoted to head of logistics
> never actually heard of sketch up before
> act like he knew it all along, and some minor issue was the problem
> start using sketch up like it was his plan all along
Already acting like every other boss out there.
Not bad.

Meh, space and shelves. Each shelve has a number and ordered sub sections.

Then you just keep track, for example shelve 1 A-F are all for monopoly. How hard can it be? Just keep logs about what comes in and out.

what if you put in more shelves, then you wouldn't have to pile everything on the floor.

>> never actually heard of sketch up before
Where did you get that assumption?
>> act like he knew it all along, and some minor issue was the problem
What are you even talking about
>> start using sketch up like it was his plan all along
>going over a rough layout of possible warehouse locations not my plan all along
You sound like the perfect warehouse grunt, looking for a job?

Push that steel on the left up against the wall and have it all the way down and another row on the wall on the right side. Leave enough room for the forklifts. Don't put a row so close to a door that's going to be used. That's probably a safety violation. I don't know shit about warehouse layout but I did work in one for eight years and know what works and what doesn't. Also keep in mind what kind of forklifts will be used and their measurements. If you're using electric you'll have to keep in mind where you'll store their charging stations.

OP, you MANIAC

Apologies.
In the interest of making it up to you, I have devised the best use of a forklift in your future warehouse.

My previous one had something like that, if I keep the racking on the left where it is I'm able to get access to both sides while still accessing the rightmost rack due to that door being the 3rd priority. The racks are 11' gapped for a standing reach truck

This.

Where do the forks go

In the drawer, you idiot.

Isn't this a fucking engineering problem lol

It can be. Usually a business degree is enough. Since OP's company is making fucking board games they aren't gonna last long, so why bother anyway.

Actual warehouse manager here.

A) do pareto analysis of your inventory according to your company goals (profit, turnover, sales, volume)
B) Categorize your inventory into A B C according to the analysis
C) setup purchasing strategy for example:
category A: weekly purchase of forecasted sales, one week of safety stock
category B: bi-weekly purchase of forecasted sales, 5 days worth of safety sotck
category C: monthly purchase of forecasted sales, 10 days worth of safety stock
D) now you can calculate your warehousing space requirement
E) scale the warehouse according to project length - 2 years or w/e
D) don't forget about areas for receiving and shipping

How has the board game industry been doing this last decade?

Oh, it's huge, getting ready to overtake pharma any minute now, I'm sure.

Thank you, which industry are you in?

Of course it's not going to be as big as pharma but it managed to avoid the 2008 recession and has seen constant growth. Even now people are switching to board games en mass to get their kids away from their phones.

Use google maps indoor faggot

automotive

Anyway if you have no idea what you are doing, get some logistics company to do the layout for you. Better to spent the money than fuck up the workplace royally for years to come.

Also go watch Edward H. Frazelle on youtube. That should get you on track.

>Managed to avoid the 2008 recession.
>Barely over $1bn global revenue
Board games are not the kind of industry that would get hit hard by an economic downturn (for many reasons, not only the low market revenue).

>Even now people are switching to board games en mass to get their kids away from their phones.
>en mass
Do you really believe that or do you guys just tell yourself while you circlejerk eachother?

hire pajeet to help you for very little money

he prob wont do it perfectly but he will do it well enough

youtube.com/watch?v=JCExhpvflfE
Oh shit thanks user

i would sort the shelves into sections per game categories

if its word game section add some desks with open games for them to try. keep a good flow to it and add genre displays

nah I got this

>i would sort the shelves into sections per game
YOU SIR, ARE A FUCKING GENIUS!

>if its word game section add some desks with open games for them to try.
I agree. Warehouse workers need to be intimately involved with the product they are moving.

I manage a massive warehouse. What you're going to want to achieve (considering your warehouse is 20,000sqft) is a centralized office right in the middle of it all with clear windows. Get yyourself a chair that spins 360 degrees.

see

I'm dead serious about the office in the middle of the warehouse. It works the best for me because I can see everything going on. Incoming/outgoing orders. Keep everything clean and open as possible with tons of lighting. The exact way you decide to lay it out will depend on particular business but the things I mentioned are crucial for any successful warehouse operation. Drop shipping for 7 years now and recently started a public storage business. Oh yeah and get your employees either a fork lift or a motorized pallet jack. Make their job easier and they'll work harder for you. Good luck and don't blow it. Maybe start your own business sometime so you don't have to be the promoted but instead the promoter.

Shipping office close to where the drivers will be entering. A computer on a desk is enough really, but the more accessible it is, the more time you'll save

Op will you have niggers or chinks working in the factory. If it's niggers, where will you accommodate and feed them ie. Do you have a barn or some equivalent facility for them?

Good tips thanks for that ad good luck to your business.
Yea at the warehouse I worked at the shipping manager just needed a table. Those people that had giant fancy offices were the laziest folks I saw

A section of the racks will be dedicated to feed

>efficient way
Optimizing space is simple and obvious but apparently not for a low IQ retard like you. You shouldn't need training or guidance it should be completely intuitive. KYS faggot

Use mspaint or fuck off

>you know the most optimal path between your basement and your refrigerator
>expert in logistics

Just think about where people and vehicles need to go and work around that