How do I into Shakespeare? Which of his works should I start with, how should I approach them...

How do I into Shakespeare? Which of his works should I start with, how should I approach them, and how should I progress?

You're well on your way to enlightenment just by asking

lol, didn't see that coming

Reading order doesn't really matter. Just choose one of his most famous plays and read it. Get a copy with annotations if you aren't used to the language. Read some essays about the play after if you are interested.

pretty good up until level 4

thatsthejoke.jpg

I'd suggest going chronologically; Dido, then Tamburlaine both parts, then The Jew of Malta, and so on.

ARDEN
R
D
E
N

kek

>pls think for me my dearest manga board, I don't even like reading

Why the fuck do people keep asking about this? Did you just fucking sleep through all your English lessons at school? If you don't have at least a basic grounding in Shakespeare already, you either didn't go to school or you're just retarded.

Opening up with Ovid helps. Seeing a filmatisation of one his plays or listening to his work being recited keys you into the lyrical/music aspect of it all. When you check out the sonnets, you might want to look up people like Petrach as well as other Elizabethan poetry.

I would steer clear of the Henriads at first, although Richard III is deliciously high tier in his asides and villainy.

I'd start with Othello. The old timey English is what usually makes people not even want to get started, but if you look up what the references mean, the play is hilarious.

Tbh, it's better when you have a good teacher who explains the references, and tries to get you to guess what they mean yourself.

I feel bad for people who didn't get to experience this.

How do I know something is a reference? I just read it and didn't get any laughs out of it

>Implying everyone on this board was schooled in The UK/USA

Who should I look out for in terms of filmed Shakespeare?

What's a good Julius Caesar performance?

>There are people who do not understand Shakespearean English as easily as modern English

They're the same

But Shakespeare is shit tier, not even baiting...

Get an edition with footnotes then read it. The only confusing part is some words mean different things than they do today. You'll adjust quickly. Enjoy mate

>reading the Bard

First mistake. If you're new, go to a production/watch a stage production on YouTube first. Let the language wash over you. Absorb the atmosphere and plot. Then read and compare.

Theatre - like poetry - dies on the page. The play's the thing.

the metaphor is the thing pleb

The one with Brando, his funeral speech is fucking perfect.

Nah, I would agree with the romantics that Shakespeare is better read than watched.

>""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Shakespearean"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" English

The hamlet that goes for like 4 hours is Fucking awesome some of the best acting. It's not that old either pretty sure post 2000

is that gif from the live like a windrammer as you fuck video