Veeky Forums here

Veeky Forums here,

why are any of you guys going into STEM if you aren't even extremely intelligent or exceptional at one area? Why do most of you guys have this false sense of entitlement to an important scientific career?

There are some people here that would be 1000x more successful within business, as well as much happier.

Veeky Forums here,

why are any of you guys going into business if you aren't even extremely intelligent or exceptional at understanding markets? Why do most of you guys have this false sense of entitlement to an important business career?

There are some people here that would be 1000x more successful within STEM, as well as much happier.

>Implying I'm not taking my chemistry degree and going into business/finance.

STEM gives you far more problem solving / logic / computer skills than a business or econ degree does. I find it amusing af every time I half-assedly get an interview for some job some econ major has been masturbating over for weeks.

The answer to your question is that business is boring. Also, this

capitalist scum. good luck sucking dick to the the top

already there ;)

Fwiw, most "econ" students are in retarded liberal arts programs.

Also, I am a former business school student who works Big 4 with people from non-bschool stem backgrounds. They're usually fine (and most are better than your average marketing dumbass), but I don't really understand why anyone thinks it's some "next level" idea to study in one field and then snake into another. I don't mean that as a diss, but if you knew all along what you wanted to do, why not find a good program for it? They do exist, even in business; you can become just as good of a problem solver AND build awesome domain expertise. Case in point, even though crossover people are good (in my experience), they're still always a few steps behind similar professionals who studied in their field.

But to be clear, the op is retarded.

simply just wondering why you guys want to go into these fields if you know you shouldn't.
>people still believe "follow your passion"

Wouldn't you rather have someone very talented in your snowflake area to research?

That aside, I was a math/econ major and I agree with the logical gains. However, the liberal arts give a lot of businessmen good people skills, which can be more important than knowing how to solve a manifold.

You're just mad because my passion is fucking your mom

Just curious: Did you do econ in a business school or a college of liberal arts?

I studied machine learning in a business school, to throw that out there.

>people still believe "follow your passion"
When did that become a bad thing? At least I'm not shilling for material gains so that I can do nothing for my species while simultaneously being forgotten. I happen to love mathematics, and I happen to be good at it. Why should I turn away from getting paid to do what I already spend all of my free time doing (researching) to pursue trivial money? That's not rhetorical; sell it to me, businessman. Come on.

business school.
Because your passion isn't always what you should do or what you'd be best at. I used to dream of becoming an aerospace engineer, but I realized there were many people who had much more experience than me with how things work and the mechanical side. Obviously, not everyone isn't fit for their passion.
>At least I'm not shilling for material gains so that I can do nothing for my species
I sell to companies that you likely use everyday, while I save up my wealth to donate to science. I've also published a book, and plan on writing more.
If you love countless hours at a computer and solving Spivak's Calculus, more power to you, but what if you could get rich while doing what you love in your free time? Seems like the better option to me

>"the immaterial" is categorically more "meaningful" than "the material"
not the person you replied to, but i honestly don't understand how some secular, "rational" scientists believe this while simultaneously refusing to care about most other things that can't be wrangled with empiricism. (not saying you're one of them, but that got me thinking out loud).

Your life sounds impossibly boring. At the same time, your dull pragmatism seems to fit your lifestyle perfectly.

Godspeed, good sir.

I don't know, living in a nice studio apartment in NYC is pretty nice in my book. I just find it funny how people have such different views on what is interesting you know? I'm not even being a douche saying that, it's always fascinated me. Some would rather lock themselves in their room playing a video game than talk to women, some would rather study a field of science their whole life while living on minimum wage, etc.

hope your scientific career goes well man

nobody goes to college to get a job (please tell me you didn't do this). the average union tradesman makes more money on a $/hour basis than your average engineer.

people go to college because higher education is the mark of of the upper class. anyone who's been through a decent school, STEM or not, can tell fairly quickly when someone hasn't been to college.

for those of you that think you are not judged for it, or that your ignorance doesn't show, you'd be wrong.

What century do you live in? Attending college may have been the something the upper class did 100 years ago, but now it's pretty much attended by anyone who doesn't want to work at Walmart for the rest of their life. College has basically been the equivalent of high school since the 90s.

There is absolutely no way I could be happy with a job in business. Better to struggle with what you find interesting than slave away at something easy that pays well.

>but now it's pretty much attended by anyone who doesn't want to work at Walmart for the rest of their life

nah m8. you are probably already middle class and you see other around you going to college and think its common place.

only ~30% of the people in this country get a degree of any kind. including fly by night degree mills and technical schools.

Gotta admit I feel the same way about you. You only have one life to live and when it's over it's done forever, and yet you still act like you have something to lose. In a way, I envy your lack of imagination.

However, I am a talented fucker and possess good social skills. Call me arrogant or overconfident or whatever, but I'm not too concerned with whether or not I'll be able to make a comfortable living doing things I find interesting.

Does that not apply to you too? Are you somehow immortal?

Keeping a successful business up and running isn't as stressful and life-leeching as your making it out to be. It's very tame and have time to study and read what I want

Not that guy, but working as an engineer is incredibly comfortable. You can be one of those people that really "get after it," if you desire, but the norm is very relaxed. I work 1/10th as hard as I did in undergrad, and I was a lazy student. I've done hardware EE and now I do low level software engineering which I am convinced has the highest pay/praise to difficulty ratio I've ever heard of.

Like, I wake up, drive to work (or I can remote in if I so desire), solve a couple figurative sudokus, and leave with an 85k salary and benefits galore within a year after graduating.

I'm sorry for saying that "shilling" bit. It's not my place to judge your life or what you do, and if you find contentment, all the more power to you. That is great.

However, it is also not your place to judge what I find contentment doing, which is being an autistic philosophizing mathematician. I would be happier as a hobo with my research notebook than as a billionaire without enough time to spend exploring mathematics. That's where my heart is.

I always wanted to be a scientist, but im too stupid.
So im studying arkeology instaid.

money can be earned, I don't need a business major to realize that.

But is doing a Ph.D. In math really get you that money to be happy? Just putting that out there

I'm not doing a PhD in math though.
you don't necessarily need money to be happy, don't be so shallow.

Sorry, didn't really phrase that correctly. Is your (field of science) degree going to be able to make you enough for a family and vacations?

>I want my field to be over saturated with people who don't play to their strengths
Op you're a moron

I earn the money, not the degree.

is your business degree gonna help you pay for the pool boy that'll fuck your wife, daughter and son?

>unironically replying to this

No, but id rather cry about it in a Maserati then a fiat

>money money money
A love of science is separate from money.

I'm naked rn.

>business
No thanks, I don't want to study anout how to deal with money and then become some company slave.

yeah real men cry in a Maserati, what will the neighbors think if you were in a Fiat

kek. why no (You)s? guess OP was a troll. well in that case

>FPBP
>8.5/10 bait OP

Because I want to understand.

All business except accounting is a meme though, and accounting sucks.

What's 1000x 300,000k/year starting?

Veeky Forums, I've been to your board. its utter shit. the threads typically have 0-5 posts. Lots of threads that are just scammers trying to get you to invest in their stock. no real stimulating conversation on economy. I'm convinced everyone on there is a loser. switching to Veeky Forums seems to be delusional and hopeless, not fulfilling, or happy, or resulting in wealth.