Sci, I know very little about math, but science has fascinated me since I was very young...

Sci, I know very little about math, but science has fascinated me since I was very young. I realize that math and science are inseparable, and I would like to know how to teach myself, because I did not do well in math in school. I want to learn algebra, then calculus, and before I die I want to be able to understand Einstein's theory of relativity. To me, there's nothing more philosophical or life affirming than understanding the world through science. So how can I educate myself?

I'm guessing I start with basic mathematics?

> look mom I posted it again

I made this same thread.

Check it out

Don't use just a book. Watch actual university classes on YouTube and solve the problems in their guide / textbook. MIT has entire courses uploaded.

Don't start with algebra. Algebra is boring as fuck. Start with pre-calculus and then calculus 1. Only then learn algebra.

>Start with pre-calculus and then calculus 1. Only then learn algebra.
This really sounds like fuckery. Idk if it's true, but I'm pretty sure only people in advanced math take at least pre calculous.

Pre calculus and calculus are high school level courses that've been shifted into university by high school science/mathematics preparation being horrendous. That said, if you don't have a solid grasp of trigonometry, geometry, and algebra before going into calculus you're going to be hopelessly lost.

If you *really* just want to understand general relativity, then I suggest the following. First, develop a SOLID foundation in:
diff eqs
linear algebra
multivariable calculus
classical mechanics - at the level of Goldstein
electromagnetism - choose your favorite text that isn't geared for 'university physics.' I like Reitz

At this time, you're probably not really advanced in terms of problem solving/applying physical intuition to scenarios to really dive into GR, but this should be the absolute minimum. Before diving in, I'd recommend a pure math book to get your thinking straight about geometries/coordinates. Try the first 6-7 chapters of Lee's Intro to Smooth Manifolds--you should get to metrics and what it means to be a pseudo-Riemannian manifold, since that's what GR applies to.

At this point, I would say you're prepared to digest the physics + mathematics. Crack open MTW (Misner-Thorne-Wheeler) and read through it. Do as many problems as you can, they vary wildly in difficulty so don't get discouraged. After this, you'll have a very solid foundation in Einstein's theory of relativity.

engineers pls go

Dude I am talking I haven't done a division problem since high school. I need to learn THE VERY BASICS.

Do you need a topology text to get into calc on smooth manifolds?
Are Spivak's texts on Manifolds any good?

I prefer Gelfand to Lang.
Also try khan academy.

>khan academy
this looks great, thank you.

>if you don't have a solid grasp of trigonometry, geometry, and algebra before going into calculus you're going to be hopelessly lost
This isn't true.

Of course it helps, but you can learn it later and connect the dots later.

You definitely need algebra to do any calcus II problems and to understand what's happening in calculus I (as in how they're getting the answer to their main problems), you can't just go hurr durr, go straight to pre-calc and calc. high-school level algebra is fundamental to understanding calculus. It sucks, but somebody who wants to go into mathematics should have a solid understand of algebra before attempting to understand calculus and beyond.

OP if you want to understand mathematics so you can understand physics, you need to take a diagnostic test in several math studies, find out what you're weak in and develop your understanding in those subjects. If you can't do simple algebra, it can take a few months to develop those skills. When you feel comfortable in algebra, it can take another few months to learn some calculus, up to a year if you plan to learn everything taught in calc-DiffE. during that time you can also start to learn some basic uni-level physics, and modern physics. if you're dedicated, go to your local college and see if you can audit those courses/stand in for free. If the classes are large, you can just go into them and nobody will be none the wiser if you're a student or not. That's what I did when I was in the Army, I attended some courses at the local college, and since they were 100+ student class, I just walked in in the afternoon classes and learned what I can. Helped me tremendously when I started college after I got out.
Also, if classes aren't for you, there are TONS of MOOC courses and youtube aids and courses to help you get up to speed on your basic algebra and even calculus, I used youtube to help pass calc II.

If you don't understand your trig identities, you can kiss calc II goodbye.

>calculus 2
duh, that's why you take algebra before calculus 2

The only thing from algebra you need is solving systems of equations.

You don't even need to understand sin and cos, they are just functions that return values.

Scalar product, vector product, projections, matrices, determinants, matrix product, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, all absolutely useless in Calculus 1. You absolutely need them in Calculus 2 though.

I was refuting the:
>Don't start with algebra. Algebra is boring as fuck
Algebra is pretty significant if you want to understand calculus.

I never really studied pure topology--only saw it pop up in other subjects. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but a basic background in multivariable analysis + maybe a slight step above basic linear algebra should be sufficient. (II have a physics background, not pure math.) I thought Spivak's book was solid, but it's pretty dense and some of the typesetting threw me off. It's a much more to-the-point version of a standard multivariable analysis text. I don't remember how much smooth manifold theory it really goes into, but it wasn't at the level of detail as Lee's book.

You've got to be very far removed from calc 1/2 to think you can learn it before trig/geometry/algebra. Half of calculus's material is based on trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions--the only other player is rational/polynomial functions, both of which assume solid algebra experience. It's expected you know how to solve polynomial equations for roots to things like maxima/minima, reflection points, etc. You're expected to know how to graph things, how to work with and understand compositions of functions. Solving for variables in equations, sometimes systems of equations, is an essential skill throughout as well. This isn't even taking into consideration the applications in calculus 2.

exp and log functions are not algebra, they are pre-calculus

You don't even need solving systems of equations, you really only need that if you're going into linear algebra or calc III and above. I have yet to use anything from solving systems of equations in calculus 1 or 2. Most of my beginning two classes in calculus has been amped up algebra concepts and trigonometry. Without learning either of those 2 on my free time, I would have failed calculus.
Vectors use quit a bit of systems of equations, but by the time I got to calc III I had already taken a linear algebra class and also uni-physics I and II and was pretty caught up. I don't know if OP determined for calc III or not, most students drop out of their studies during calc II

I self-taught calculus while learning trig as a senior in high-school. Whenever I got to something I didn't understand, I just looked it up.

>still butthurt that they aren't all graduate books

> t. brainlet

> ...math and science are inseparable...

Not quite... Mathematics (and CompSci) are based mostly on theoretical concepts. This is in contrast to many other fields of science that are empirical. How you perceive the world around you should be your guide.

>Mathematics (and CompSci)

Leave and never come back here