Will this teach me mathematics from the ground up? Like pre algebra, algebra, algebra 2 (if there is such a thing)...

Will this teach me mathematics from the ground up? Like pre algebra, algebra, algebra 2 (if there is such a thing). I'm not familiar with the basics of math, but I know there's different things like physics, geometry, and algebra. I'm not even sure which one I want to learn, I just think I want to learn math. Will this give me a good groundwork so I can figure out where I want to go from here? I'm pretty sure that I want to understand calculus because it seems that when physicists talk about understanding the laws of the universe, they talk about Isaac Newton, and Calculus is his theory.

Other urls found in this thread:

coursera.org/course/calc1
mooculus.osu.edu/
mooculus.osu.edu/textbook/mooculus.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=X9t-u87df3o&list=PLBE9407EA64E2C318
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
17calculus.com/precalculus/
17calculus.com/
youtube.com/user/bullcleo1/videos?flow=grid&view=1
patrickjmt.com/
youtube.com/user/khanacademy
mathoverflow.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't use just a book. If you do, you will drop by the seventh page. 20th page if you have a lot of will.

Go to YouTube, and pick up some university course. MIT has uploaded plenty of courses. It's basically like going to university, but from the safety of your home.

You use the books to fill the gaps. And remember to get a textbook with problems to solve.

>You use the books to fill the gaps. And remember to get a textbook with problems to solve.
Do you have any suggestions? I'm lost.

Skip pre-algebra. It's crap. Start with pre-calculus. Skip lessons if you find them incredibly boring. Then take calculus 1. Only then take algebra 1.

As per physics, Newton is classical physics, which explains things of "normal" size. For things of massive size, you need relativistic physics (Einstein). For things that are really small (atomic level), you need quantum physics. There's no unifying theory yet.

It doesn't really matter. Don't obsess over this book or that book. And don't try to solve every single problem. You just try to get the knowledge and skip stuff that you find redundant, extremely tedious or boring.

Use different books too. If you didn't get it from the class/video, and you don't get it from the book, go to another book, find another video, or use google and find the answer in a forum. Learning math is never lineal, people who try to learn lineally will hit their heads against a wall.

>Skip pre-algebra. It's crap. Start with pre-calculus
You can see why I'm skeptical of this? I mean, I guess I could try, but I doubt that that's even possible, just based on my hunches.

This.

Taught myself calculus this way. If it gets boring, watch a video or look up a topic you're interested in. Do some problems. The main thing is to not get bored.

It reminds me of playing an instrument. If you want a kid to learn an instrument, you have to teach him songs he enjoys; same applies to other self-studied subjects: it has to be enjoyable.

Try to solve picture related and I'll tell how you much you need to learn.

?
?
x=3
x=2
?
?

Khan academy, pre-algebra and pre-calculus (don't obsess over this, just try to understand it), then calculus 1

Not the same guy
Idk if you're the guy from the other thread but I'd suggest checking out Khan Academy.
If you prefer books, I like Gelfand - Algebra. An alternative is the book you posted by Lang

Sweet. Khan Academy looks great. At this point I think I am going to be heading to bed, so to anyone else who could be replying to this thread for any reason, OP is not here until tomorrow if this thread is still here.

Thank you.

also the solutions

see

I just graduated with a math minor, should I an hero?

kek, really? how can you forget how to multiply fractions? that's a bit worrying

Its the numbers that screwed him up.
I bet rational functions would be easier

It's kind of a difficult text but it gives you the proper intuition.
You should complement it with Gelfand's Trigonometry, Methods of Coordinates, and Function and Graphs.
You can head straight to Calculus once you're done with the above.

I have one month until classes start. how do i maximize my time self studying? Im taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra. I don't think I have a solid foundation of precalculus. Should I focus my time on that? I know Calc 2 is heavily dependent on sequences and series.

coursera.org/course/calc1 "Suggested Readings"
mooculus.osu.edu/
mooculus.osu.edu/textbook/mooculus.pdf

lots of problems with answers given

Some websites to help along, since no one posted them:

Gil Strang's Introduction to Calculus for Highlights for High School; useful conceptual introduction to calculus.
youtube.com/watch?v=X9t-u87df3o&list=PLBE9407EA64E2C318

Paul's Online Math Notes; Veeky Forums staple.
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

17Calculus; found via google search, explainc calc/precalc concepts in a very quick format
17calculus.com/precalculus/
17calculus.com/

Mathispower4u; random YT math channel, but large library and quick no-nonsense explanations
youtube.com/user/bullcleo1/videos?flow=grid&view=1

PatrickJMT; Veeky Forums staple.
patrickjmt.com/

KhanAcademy; Veeky Forums staple.
youtube.com/user/khanacademy

Useful site; great user base.
mathoverflow.net/

Is that last one a stackoverflow affiliate or is it just similarly named?