How can I distinguish well written prose from overwritten purple prose? examples would help

How can I distinguish well written prose from overwritten purple prose? examples would help.

HISTORY OF THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

Anything by Lovecraft

well written prose should give you chills and make you feel a little heady, or at the very least leave you in a state of pleasant reflexion while you unweave and examine its construction and meaning at length

purple prose should make you make you feel like the author is trying way too hard to accomplish the former, usually you should instinctually cringe or feel a very natural, almost pleasant, kind of contempt for the author--if it is particularly bad or you are particularly squeamish then embarrassment is not an uncommon emotion

this should come naturally to you depending on how well read you are

is lovecraft the overwritten purple prose?

has a good author ever published really bad prose?

O brood O muse upon my mighty subject like a holy hen upon the nest of night.

O ponder the fascism of the heart.

Sing of disappointments more repeated than the batter of the sea, of lives embittered by resentments so ubiquitous the ocean's salt seems thinly shaken, of let-downs local as the sofa where I copped my freshman's feel, of failures as frequent as first love, first nights, last stands; do not warble of arms or adventurous deeds or shepherds playing on their private fifes, or of civil war or monarchies at swords; consider rather the slightly squinkered clerk, the soul which has become as shabby and soiled in its seat as worn-out underwear, a life lit like a lonely room and run like a laddered stocking.

Behold the sagging tit, the drudge-gray mopped-out cunt-corked wife, stale as yesterday's soapy water or study the shiftless kind, seedy before any bloom, thin and mean as a weed in a walk;

Smell the grease that stands rancid in the pan like a second skin, the pan aslant on some fuel-farting stove, the stone in its corner contributing what it can to the brutal conviviality of close quarters,

Let depression like time-payments weigh you down; feel desperation and despair like dust thick in the rug and the ragged curtains, or carry puppy pee and plate-scrapings, wrapped in the colored pages of the Sunday paper, out to the loose and blowing, dog-jawed heap in the alley;

Spend your money on large cars, loud clothes, sofa-sized paintings, excursions to Hawaii, trinkets, knicknacks, fast food, golf clubs, call girls, slimming salons, booze;

Suffer shouting, heat rash, chilblains, beatings, betrayal, guilt, impotence, jail, jealousy, humiliation, VD, vermin, stink.

Sweat through a St. Louis summer and sing of that.

O muse, I cry, as loudly as I can, while still commanding a constricted scribble, hear me! help me! but my nasty echo answers: one muse for all the caterwauling you have called for! where none was in that low-life line of work before?

It's true. I'll need all nine for what I want to do--perhaps brand new--all nine whom Hesiod must have frigged to get his way, for he first spoke their secret names and hauled their history by the snout into his poem. For what I want to do...

Which is what--exactly? to deregulate Descartes like all the rest of the romancers? to philosophize while performing some middle-age adultery? basically enjoying your anxieties like raw licker when it's gotten to the belly? I know--you want to make the dull amazing, you want to Heidegger some wholesome thought, darken daytime for the TV, grind the world into a grain of Blake.

In youth he had felt the hidden beauty and ecstasy of things, and had been a poet; but poverty and sorrow and exile had turned his gaze in darker directions, and he had thrilled at the imputations of evil in the world around. Daily life had for him come to be a phantasmagoria of macabre shadow-studies; now glittering and leering with concealed rottenness as in Beardsley's best manner, now hinting terrors behind the commonest shapes and objects as in the subtler and less obvious work of Gustave Dore. He would often regard it as merciful that most persons of high Intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries; for, he argued, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threaten the very integrity of the universe. All this reflection was no doubt morbid, but keen logic and a deep sense of humour ably offset it. Malone was satisfied to let his notions remain as half-spied and forbidden visions to be lightly played with; and hysteria came only when duty flung him into a hell of revelation too sudden and insidious to escape

You decide which is better.

Gass, and therefore good.
Lovecraft, and therefore lousy.

is it a trick question? they're both shit.

Tripe.

Yep, except they're both great.

kys
kys 2

Keys to what???

to the magical kingdom of Go Fuck Yourself

The prose doesn't match the content, the swings of fancy are needless, overdone, don't add anything, it isn't creating a visual image, the poetic phrases and words don't bring in other associations.

"The voluptuous, shimmering yellow flower molded itself around the stem bringing forth brightly shining sunshine, showering the sucking bees in light of orange and gold."

>he fell for this is good writing meme

The old man was thin and gaunt with deep wrinkles in the back of his neck. The brown blotches of the benevolent skin cancer the sun brings from its reflection on the tropic sea were on his cheeks. The blotches ran well down the sides of his face and his hands had the deep-creased scars from handling heavy fish on the cords. But none of these scars were fresh. They were as old as erosions in a fishless desert.

Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.

Not even of a light lavender hue. Terrible example

What about this?

>They ate rolls and drank coffee. Ann was suddenly hungry, and the rolls were warm and sweet. She ate three of them, which pleased the baker. Then he began to talk. They listened carefully. Although they were tired and in anguish, they listened to what the baker had to say. They nodded when the baker began to speak of loneliness, and of the sense of doubt and limitation that had come to him in his middle years. He told them what it was like to be childless all these years. To repeat the days with the ovens endlessly full and endlessly empty. The party food, the celebrations he’d worked over. Icing knuckle-deep. The tiny wedding couples stuck into cakes. Hundreds of them, no, thousands by now. Birthdays. Just imagine all those candles burning. He had a necessary trade. He was a baker. He was glad he wasn’t a florist. It was better to be feeding people. This was a better smell anytime than flowers.

Definitely overwritten trash. This is TRUE writing:

Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting. They were coming toward where the flag was and I went along the fence. Luster was hunting in the grass by the flower tree. They took the flag out, and they were hitting. Then they put the flag back and they went to the table, and he hit and the other hit. Then they went on, and I went along the
fence. Luster came away from the flower tree and we went along the fence and they stopped and we stopped and I looked through the fence while Luster was hunting in the grass.

"Here, caddie." He hit. They went away across the pasture. I held to the fence and watched them going away.

I'm writer.

Is that Hemingway? Regardless, Iike it very much.

it's faulkner